close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking about a new tower

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by streeter69, Feb 28, 2006.

1. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

My computer tower is getting old and I do not know how to keep up with the software.
    I have been looking at alienware for my next tower?

What do you think^8

http://www.alienware.com/

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I think you will get ripped off badly if you go that way--and I have seen their tech support go to pot recently.

I service a couple of them locally, and there's nothing special about them.

Buy the same parts they off you from NewEgg or ZipZoomFly and put the thing together yourself, or have a local PC shop do it if you are not good with tools.

Seriously, you can easily get the same computer for half the price. And without having to look at the freeky-looking cases they push for the next few years.

We'll help you if you want to build it yourself...and FYI if you can change the spark plug in your lawnmower, this is well within your capabilities!

Best regards,

Eric

3. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Alienware takes some of the best hardware on the market, throws it in a fancy case, marks everything up 20% (or so) and sells it. Like fastvfr said, you can build the same computer yourself for half the price, or have the local computer shop custom build one for much cheaper than alienware. But if you can afford it and just want a kickbutt machine, alienware is very nice with all premium parts. -dok

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

name recognition, bleeding edge performance (for a month or two) and huge bragging rights at the local cybercafe.

uh.

and that's about 60% of what it costs.

If you build a NICE machine, that does what you want it to, it'll be 80-90% as fast, 2-3x as stable, and *maybe* as much as 60% of the cost.

And you'll have your pick of the good points, not theirs. I build computers, lots of folks do. It's being informed on price versus value versus availability and compatibility. it's a shopping expedition combined with your experience, research, and intuition.

If i build you a comp, i don't ask you how much money you have. I ask you what you want it to do. and then build that. and charge whatever it costs.

that's generally 2/3 or so of what the same thing costs from a store, once you're off the 500$ bargain basement model.

5. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I have to agree with everyone else on this as well. Build your own (if you are comfortable with that) and get a better warranty on every part and be able to choose premium parts as well and save some $$$ :) Good luck with your decision.

On a side note...Alienware does build some nice systems if you don't care to spend the extra money. Fast's comment on the tech support doesn't sound good though :(

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

7. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I was thinking about one too but not anymore.

8. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl