Thinking about a Kahr PM9, Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by PA1911, Feb 11, 2010.

1. PA1911

PA1911

Hello to all,

I have been thinking about the PM9 for concealed carry. I will be mostly IWB carrying but I want to be able to pocket carry if needed. This gun seems to get good review but I have heard about some jamming issues with the top round in a full mag. Have these problems been resolved. I need some input here.

I also considered the Glock 26 and Glock 36( I already own a 45ACP). I currently only own a 1911 government that is way to big for me to conceal.

I did at one time own a Glock 30. Its was a graet gun, very reliable, but just felt too blocky to me. How would the Glock 26 and 36 compare to the size/feel of the 30.

Again, I think my first choice is the PM9 based on size, I just wanted to inquire about reliability.

Thanks folks,

PA1911

2. 1108VA

1108VA

I own a PM9. It is great for pocket carry. I have had it for several years and have not had any problems. It is also nice and thin for IWB carry.

3. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

I've had mine for about 6mos...a little less than 1000rnds though it of all flavors. No malfunctions at all.

Works very well for me as a pocket BUG or for appendix carry.

4. Caver 60

Caver 60

5. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

I just bought one to fill the gap between my LCP and my G23. I took it to the range yesterday for the break-in session and..... I LOVE it. It shoots great, much more pleasantly than my LCP, and I had zero malfunctions.

The whole issue with the top round in the magazine causing a jam is a non-issue if you load the weapon using the directions Kahr gives. They specify not using the slingshot method, and to actually have the slide locked open and then use the slide release to chamber a round. I use this method and I have had no issues. I think the only reason it could be a problem is if you choose to carry in condition 3(no round in the chamber, full magazine) and you plan on drawing the weapon, jacking the slide, and addressing the threat. If you carry with a round chambered like I do, you will have no issues.

6. Liquid

Liquid

i have 2 and both have been 100. i got one used and one new. i have around 230 round thur the new one. it is a pleasure to carry, i prefer the pocket. however i have tucked it in my waistband a few times with the pocket holster and it is a noticeable thinner then my g26. i might pick up an iwb holster for it. i have heard some issues with them but i guess i have been very lucky.

7. hi-power man

hi-power man Silver Member

I have a PM9 with just over 600 rounds of various types. No problems with it. It fits nicely in my pants or jacket pocket. I sometime carry it in a IWB holster, very comfortable.

I also have two G36's, one I carry when I want the big bullet available. I recently bought a G30 SF but I am finding it is like a "brick" compared to the G36. I'm going to go on a bit with the 30 before I put it up for sale or trade.

8. Bob45acp

Bob45acp HandgunWorld

I can't say enough good things about my Kahr PM9. After about 4,000 rounds I have had a few failures but I really can't point to a specific reason. I don't think it was the gun, I shoot a lot of cheap ammo for practice. Nothing is perfect. My PM9 and P380 remove ALL excuses not to carry something. :wow:

9. abraves

abraves

I have a PM9 and a G27 that I carry. My PM9 has been flawless and is my reason not to carry gun. I carry it in a MTAC and it will conceal with a t-shirt. Is it a target gun? No. It is a small conceal gun that will do its job in that role. That is not saying it isn't accurate it is just not as easy to shoot accurately as say my G17. If you get one you won't be disappointed. YMMV.

abraves

10. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

My Kahr exp. is limited to a very early production P9. I was not happy with the reliability of the piece at all. I had the following issues.....
    1) magazines would lose rounds, and sometimes allow rounds to "stovepipe"
    out the top of the feed lips. This was with carrying in a magazine pouch,
    NOT loose in a pocket.
    2) light primer strikes to include all my favorite carry loads in 9mm.
    3) FTRB at least once every couple of mags, and most of the time, more
    often than this. This was way past five hundred rounds and counting, so
    "break-in" was a non-issue.
    4) The final straw was when the side plate blew out and a federal 9bp
    was blown out in about a 200* radius right in front of the cartridge rim.
    I'm not sure about what happened, maybe fired slightly out battery????
    Either way, the piece was on probation pending better reliability, and the
    bruised knuckle of my firing hand made up my mind most ricky-tick...
    I never replaced the P9 with another Kahr, so I can't comment on other models, but my gut tells me to suggest a steel kahr, or a different brand.
    Good Luck, and be safe..

11. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

Not saying your experience is invalid, I just want to point out that I do not have any issues with the magazines, and I carry my spare loose in my weak-side front pocket. No rounds have fallen out, or moved enough to inhibit a reload.

Also I fired two mags of Buffalo Bore +p and about 40 rounds of Federal HST with no failures or light primer strikes. Which carry ammo gave you trouble? That could be good information to have.

12. MOTV8R

MOTV8R

It's all of these reasons and the hundreds of others that made me order one yesterday. Will hopefully have it this time next week and will post my break in results ASAP.

13. starfleet

starfleet

I/ve had mine for about 5 years now and it has been fine. The only issue I have had has been with Federal 147 grain HST, which for some reason mine does not like. So, I carry Winchester Ranger T 147 grain in mine and the PM9 eats those up all day long.

14. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

Just make sure you follow the manufacturer's break-in instructions and put at least 200 rounds through it. Mine (purchased used) has been flawless. Great trigger.

15. Jdog

Jdog

Should be fine if you get one WITH A RECENT SERIAL NUMBER (see the kahr s/n history thread)
    The newest ones off the assembly line are a lot more reliable than earlier models.
    Also it's designed to carry +1 with one in the chamber. It's not designed to rack one in the chamber manually from a full mag. You lock back the slide, insert mag, then hit the slide release and let the spring shove one in the chamber. Then release the mag and pop an extra one in the mag and re-insert the mag in the pistol. Then holster. (you're not allowed to complain about any feed issues until after the 200-round break in period)
    After all this it's surprisingly reliable, accurate and pleasant to shoot. (did I mention comfortable to carry?) ... many ways to carry it. ... i chose IWB... check out the pm9 holster thread

16. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I have owned a PM9 for years with no real issues. However, more often than not, I drop the 340PD in my pocket.

17. Caver 60

Caver 60

Ref: rounds falling out of mags in pocket carry. Many of the early Kahr 9mm mags would lose rounds, especially if not in a mag carrier and sometimes even in a mag carrier. Later production mags seem to have fixed this problem.

The factory mags in my old MK9 would lose rounds like crazy. I've pulled a half empty mag out of my pocket on many occasions. My late production PM9 mags don't seem to have that problem.