Glock Talk banner

Thinking about a G30 SF

1299 Views 18 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  S. Kelly
I was at the local GS today. Spotted a G36 & a G30 SF. Besides the difference in the grip frame, there's the fact of the four extra rounds on-board. I would love to upgrade to a .45. My problem being that I can't seem to part with my G23. I know some will say have them both, but any thoughts about a .45 over a .40? I love my G23. I shoot it well and made a few simple upgrades. I do prefer a bigger gun overall in the hand. Even though a G23 is technically a 'compact' gun, I do carry it concealed pretty well too. That's the problem with what we all do. I just can't seem to stick to one thing. Thanks. Stay safe.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· familyman
3,103 Posts
I would take the 23 if I only could have ONE. I like my 30sf. Maybe I should get a 23!

· Senile Member
803 Posts
Maybe you guys should trade :)

45acp is my favorite round (ok maybe 10mm but I don't reload so yanno) so based on that G30 is my favorite. My G26 and G27 are very close seconds for CCW but my love for the 45 pushes it ahead a tnuc hair.

· Registered
3,183 Posts
I know this sounds cliche' but get both!!! I too love my G23, (1st Glock) but I think everyone should own "America's Caliber"'.45ACP!!! I love my G30 as well...I got a slamming deal on mine last year ($425.00 2mags & trijicon nite sights) keep your eyes open and u'll eventually happen across a good deal! I guarantee, it's one of the Glocks u'll get, and love shooting it more & more over time! 230gr. BRICKS that hit like a SLEDGEHAMMER is a comforting proposition should the need arise....

· Registered
1,835 Posts
I bought the regular frame 30 after having a 23 for about a year. If I had to part with one or the other, the 23 would have to go. The 30 is amazingly accurate, I like the big old 45 cal slug, and, while the 30 has more weight and width to pack around, it isn't uncomfortable to carry. I've never owned (or shot) an SF model, but if it handles better for you, why not....

· Registered
4,643 Posts
I ended up getting the G30SF for my GSSF purchase earlier this year. Really great pistol, and I was able to compare it to the G30 and the G36. I was wanting the G36, but the G30 SF felt really nice and hefty.

My favorite configuration is with the 9-round magazine, which I've just acquired. It ships with the 10-round mags, seen here:

It's so nice to shoot, in comparison to all the other Glocks I've got, and reloading .45 ACP makes it even more of a reason to go with it.

· Registered
741 Posts
The G30 is a nice gun. I got one thinking it would take the place of my G19 as my carry gun. Some people will say there is not much difference in size but you really do feel the extra width when carrying. I ended up trading the G30 because I just didn't use enough. You may just have to get one and see if the extra thickness is an issue for you or not when carrying. I would not let go of the G23 until you get to try shooting / carrying the G30. Even then if you can afford both you might as well just have both.

· clever quip
1,164 Posts
I got a new 30sf that was flawed out of the box. I sent it to Smyrna and they said I would be getting a new 30sf. I was then told I wouldn't be able to get one for up to 9 weeks. I was then told that if I wanted a different model, I could just pick from the lineup and they would ship it to my house. I chose a G34 with night sights, Glock shipped it to my door.

After the messed up 30sf I happened to get, I wouldn't want another one. The 30sf I got had severe versions of the FTRTB issue. I had the latest trigger bar. 21/220 rounds were FTRTB using gold dot 230gr JHPs. And it wasn't 21 of the first bullets that ever ran through the gun, I had already shot over 200 rounds through it.

The situation was fairly resolved as far as I am concerned.

Heres a picture of it..

· Registered
95 Posts
Bought my 30SF last Friday. 156 trouble-free rounds through it so far.

Very accurate -- actually had one five-shot group @ 10 yards (bench rested) that was TWO holes, AND the holes were 3/4" apart and only slightly enlarged from multiple hits. I was dumbfounded (ammo was factory Independence 230 FMJ). Overall I was getting consistent 1.5" groups with lots of 2 or 3-shot cloverleafs. Better than any of my 1911s which is a surprise.

Carries just as easily as my G26; better than my G23 because of the shorter grip. The extra width -- my greatest concern -- is a non-problem.

Very pleased.

· Registered
3,220 Posts
Bought my 30SF last Friday.
Very accurate -- actually had one five-shot group @ 10 yards (bench rested) that was TWO holes, AND the holes were 3/4" apart and only slightly enlarged from multiple hits. my greatest concern -- is a non-problem.

Very pleased.
I'm glad you like your gun. Mas Ayoob has stated that his G30 is his most accurate Glock, and he has gotten 25-yard rested groups, using target ammo, that are less than one inch center-to-center.

I have pretty well stopped the bench-resting of my Glocks. I seem to be able to shoot nearly as well using two-hand offhand...which this one is.
This was my first group with my new G34...on a G17 frame. (Not sighted in yet)

For my Glocks...or most guns, I guess...the most important factor in getting a good group is the trigger. A smooth letoff, regardless of pull-weight. So IMO you can do a $.25 trigger job which will do wonders for your groups.

This one, below, is with my 17L, also on the G17 frame. I guess that I'm rather surprised that Glocks can show decent off-hand accuracy, even when you switch uppers and lowers, and consider the general (sloppiness) of the slide-to-frame fit.

S2

· Registered
4,553 Posts
CJ,

Here's my 2 cents worth, FWIW, yea, I know, 2 cents!:supergrin:

The 23, excellent carry weapon
G30, also an excellent CW

40 vs 45 almost identical ballistically

carried a G30, for 4 years, and decided a G21 was so similar sized why have both. I will always have my 21!! Now I carry a 23. My first Glock was a 23, shot it, and, loved glock, did not want another caliber, so sold it.

Like I said, ballistically, 40 = 45, look at this way, with a 23, you have the capacity of a 21, with about half the size!:cool:

If you are getting into another caliber, and, you already have a perfect carry weapon with the 23, may I suggest not getting another carry weapon, in an almost identical caliber, with the G30. Explore the possibilities in either the 9 or 10MM arena. Might I suggest a G34, or god forbid, a G29? With either, you will be pleased, and not have to decide between two identical guns, which will I carry today!

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Picked up a used LE G30SF today, RAB serial number prefix, with test casings from 11/2010. It has the updated trigger bar and someone kindly added on an extended slide stop. Looks pretty good, hope the bugs have been ironed out of the G30SF in regards to the FTRB.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.