Thinking about a buying a revolver

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ancient_serpent, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

I would like to get some opinions on the Smith and Wesson model 19. I do not currently have a revolver and am looking for a "duty" sized gun. If anyone has ideas for a better one, I'm all ears.
    Right now I'm thinking:
    -4 inch barrel
    -maybe a stainless finish?
    Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Light, handy but big enough to handle the cartridge.

3. burntmypiston

burntmypiston

A classic. The only knock on it is with repeated firing of the 125 grain defensive loads (which are what makes the 357 what it is). They tend to wear it out rather quickly. I guess it depends on how much you plan to fire it and what loads you use. The 19 is a K frame gun. The L frame guns ( 686, 586, etc) were designed to alleviate the problems associated with hot loads in the K frame. The way I would fire a 19 it would last forever. Your mileage will vary.

4. pennlineman

pennlineman

I agree with this. Save the hot 125 grainers for when you need them. Use a lot of 38 spl when you practice and you'll have a hard time wearing out this gun.

If you must shoot magnums all the time. The L framed S&W's or even a Ruger GP-100 are worthy of your consideration.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

The 19 is THE classic S&W. In a four inch it is the very essence of a fighting sixgun. The triggers can be made glassy smooth if it's not already and it will outshoot your abilities. If you plan on shooting it mostly with target ammo and only playing with the heavy stuff sporadically it is a fantastic gun and will last forever. If you want to go to the range every week to piss off the other shooters with the hottest stuff you can buy get a 586/686 or a ruger.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I would strongly recommend Ruger GP 100.
    I'm using a revolver from Smith & Wesson at work and the one from Ruger feels so much more solid...
    It's a stainless steel, barrel has 4,2" (if I can remember well) and I'm currently trying to learn how to shoot that thing (newbie here).
    I'm pretty much sure that this revolver will outlast me EASILY.
    It's also beautiful...well at least IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

I owned a S&W model 60 before, I normally practice with .38 spc and carry .357. The Ruger looks interesting, too.
    When I get one, I plan on having a gunsmith do a trigger job to smooth it, and if not already done so polish the face of the trigger itself.

8. RS7

RS7

The model 19 is a great revolver. It was made in blued and nickel plated steel. If you're looking for the stainless steel version, you'll want a model 66.

9. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I have a 6" 19-3 P&R triple T.. with maybe 150 rounds through it, and I dearly love it and shoot it once a year whether I need to or not. Closest thing I've got to a safe queen.

The ones I shoot are a Ruger MkIII and a model 10 .38 special, and they both make me look good. The model 19 shoots very straight with factory ammo, but it's considerably slower than a .38 on multiple targets.

10. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

My 2" pinned and recessed Model 19 on the bottom. Smith 686 on top. Both great guns. BTW, use .38+P or 158gr. .357 in your 19 and you'll be fine.

[​IMG]

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

Nice pair Sarge.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Long before pistols were popular, Smith K frames were the common duty gun. Many that are decades old are as good or even better than they were when new. View attachment 194166

13. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Model 19's are fine revolvers......but, the 586-686 is what the Smith 357 evolved to, because they are better.

hog

[​IMG]

14. armybass

armybass VCDL

For a more modern day carry gun I like the M65. Stainless 3" .357 and it a great shooter and easy to carry. But I loo love the M19, M13 and the 586/686.

15. Brucev

Brucev

My first revolver was a 4" nickle plated S&W 19-2. It was a great revolver. As during that era I was very much into shooting the hottest possible handloads I could create for the .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum, I transitioned to a 6" S&W 28-2 and gave the 19-2 to my father. My brother took that revolver and traded it for a Beretta 92 (we all make mistakes). Today I must say that for a .357 revolver, I would still buy a nice 4" 19/66 for carry and shooting (mostly .38 Specials and some .357 S&W Magnums). If I were going to carry the revolver and shoot it a LOT, I would buy a 4" 586/686 and fire away. If I anticipated carrying the revolver in inclement weather, I'd definitely buy a 66 or 686. The reason I'd buy the S&W is that the single-action and double-action trigger pulls on these revolvers have a well deserved reputation for excellence. S&W has a demonstrated commitment to customer service that is the industry standard. And the quality and enduring value of S&W revolvers is unequaled.

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Good gun, most S&W are good guns.

As has been mentioned, I wouldn't practice a lot with hot loads.

17. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

4" stainless GP100 loaded with 125gr Gold Dots or any other 125gr JHP as far as that goes.

18. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Thank you Ronin. :wavey:

19. CajunBass

CajunBass

Back when I was a young fellow, still in high school I guess, I saw a "Guns and Ammo" magazine with a picture of a "SMITH & WESSON MODEL 19 COMBAT MAGNUN" on the cover. I remember thinking "That's what a handgun is supposed to look like."

[​IMG]

I still think so. Others have filled you in on the strong and weak points, but my first handgun was a Model 19. I put thousands and thousands of rounds of 38 wadcutters through it. That was a sweet shooting gun. I traded it off for something that caught my eye, thinking "I'll get another one, one of these days." It took a long time, but I finally did.

20. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Carried the M-66, 4in bbl, for almost 7 yrs on duty, in every kind of weather. It got wet, snow covered, muddy, and only had one problem. It would not die, or rust. I did the basic maintenance, stored it dry,(not in a holster) and also shot mostly 38 spec and carried and qualified with 125 gr. 357 magnums. By far the most dependable firearm I ever owned. i hope you can find one as they are now rare at the gun sales stores.