Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I went from SIG Sauer to Glock, then from Glock to snubbies. I didn't really start carry 1911 until 2014 with the Colt Defender.
I couldn’t see using snubbies for a primary these days. My 9mm Shield carries just as well and that’s as small as I would go. All of my snubbies are back up guns only. Actually, capacity was the biggest reason I went with Glocks. Glocks will still be my main carry with the 1911 sharing winter carry duties with my G30sf and my G37. As the clothing gets heavier my carry caliber goes up.

I couldn’t see using snubbies for a primary these days. My 9mm Shield carries just as well and that’s as small as I would go. All of my snubbies are back up guns only. Actually, capacity was the biggest reason I went with Glocks. Glocks will still be my main carry with the 1911 sharing winter carry duties with my G30sf and my G37. As the clothing gets heavier my carry caliber goes up.
Five or Six For Sure.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Five or Six For Sure.
Years ago yes, but with the reliability of quality autos today, multiple attackers with high capacity autos, and the real life hit ratios, I’ll choose an auto.
If your good with snubbies for a primary that’s fine, it’s just not my choice:flag:.

Years ago yes, but with the reliability of quality autos today, multiple attackers with high capacity autos, and the real life hit ratios, I’ll choose an auto.
If your good with snubbies for a primary that’s fine, it’s just not my choice:flag:.
Close range contact-body shots, no limpwrist issue, or bad grip issue on a draw. I'll stick with my snubbies as first choice for CCW. Chances of me getting hit with multiple attackers armed with high-cap weapons are slim to none and Slim already left town.

Just finished fitting a Wilson BT grip safety to my SA stainless Mil-spec, which is a beautiful example of the 1911. I own a bunch of 1911s, but the only "version" I seriously consider for carry is one modified for .460 Rowland. When suitably modified, a 40-ish ounce 1911 delivering 950-1,000+ fpe x 8 shots is worthy of field carry and certainly would be formidable for SD use.

Most of my 1911's spend their lives in the safe, except for range excursions.

Of my Glocks, I consider the 1911 .460R conversion BETTER than my "G460R" conversion due to the better ergonomics and trigger of the 1911, but the Glock - in this instance wins on power due to it's 6.61" barrel and long slide.

I own both a G20 and G29 - I never carry them.
I own both a G21 and G30 - never carry them.

My carry gun for the last many years has been the FN FsN 5.7x28.

When I finally slowed down enough to examine the .22 TCM, I got on board with that and built up three examples in .22 TCM9R (9mm size frames), and one in .22 TCM (1911 .38 Super conversion).

I developed the 5.56x24 derivation of the .22 TCM specifically to address deficiencies in the TCM as mated to 9mm guns - mainly the requirement to use a special, "bubble-nose" factory bullet with close to zero hand loading options. The 5.56x24 uses any bullet the standard .22 TCM can use giving great versatility to the so-called .22 TCM9R" conversion.

These days my "carry rotation" begins with a P80 built G17 .22TCM9R with 20 rounds of 5.56x24 loaded. Secondary choices are P80 built G19 also in .22TCM9R, also carrying 16 rounds of 5.56x24. Another choice I REALLY like for off-body carry is my CZ75B with .22TCM9R conversion, stoked with 18 rounds of 5.56x24.

Regardless of what "platform" is chosen, neither the 9mm nor .45 ACP are state of the art for modern combat which includes self defense. Neither will penetrate TL3A soft body armor without special bullets and loads, and both are inadequate for punching through steel and alloy plate/sheet. From ballistics testing done in concert with predator control and hunting, I've validated the .22TCM9R/5.56x24 and suitably loaded 5.7x28 to be highly destructive with superior energy transfer to the classic calibers.

Overall, Glock gets the final nod due to better ergonomics than the FsN, equal number of rounds capability, slightly smaller dimensions while only slightly heavier but firing a much less expensive cartridge of superior terminal effect. With Gen-5 +2 mags the G17 holds a solid 20 shots, and can be recharged with Glock 30 round mags. From the holster the G17 offers a significant firepower advantage only increased when reloaded with Magpul 21 round, or OEM 30 round mags. The gun shoots fast and flat - the concept of "recoil recovery" is non-existent.
Even the inexpensive Armscor 40 grain JHP bullet with generous exposed lead will out-punch 9mm FMJ on steel and Kevlar. The Speer 40 grain SP takes it to another level due to its thick jacket and tiny exposed tip of lead. 10-gauge steel is easily defeated, and both front and back of TL3A Kevlar defeated (no torso inside).

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Rotating between a Glock and a 1911 for EDC isn't the best idea in the world. Completely different muscle memory with the safety (or lack of one) and the trigger.
Yes, for some it can be challenging, they should stick to one gun only.

Close range contact-body shots, no limpwrist issue, or bad grip issue on a draw. I'll stick with my snubbies as first choice for CCW. Chances of me getting hit with multiple attackers armed with high-cap weapons are slim to none and Slim already left town.
Agreed, as far as close up and personal (like a typical mugging) there is not a better option if actually in physical contact...especially a dynamic situation like wrestling with the guy. However, if the gun runs dry without subduing the attacker, which is certainly a potential danger, you'd better have a NY reload or knife, or be Mr. Miyagi.

Just finished fitting a Wilson BT grip safety to my SA stainless Mil-spec, which is a beautiful example of the 1911. I own a bunch of 1911s, but the only "version" I seriously consider for carry is one modified for .460 Rowland. When suitably modified, a 40-ish ounce 1911 delivering 950-1,000+ fpe x 8 shots is worthy of field carry and certainly would be formidable for SD use.

Most of my 1911's spend their lives in the safe, except for range excursions.

Of my Glocks, I consider the 1911 .460R conversion BETTER than my "G460R" conversion due to the better ergonomics and trigger of the 1911, but the Glock - in this instance wins on power due to it's 6.61" barrel and long slide.

I own both a G20 and G29 - I never carry them.
I own both a G21 and G30 - never carry them.

My carry gun for the last many years has been the FN FsN 5.7x28.

When I finally slowed down enough to examine the .22 TCM, I got on board with that and built up three examples in .22 TCM9R (9mm size frames), and one in .22 TCM (1911 .38 Super conversion).

I developed the 5.56x24 derivation of the .22 TCM specifically to address deficiencies in the TCM as mated to 9mm guns - mainly the requirement to use a special, "bubble-nose" factory bullet with close to zero hand loading options. The 5.56x24 uses any bullet the standard .22 TCM can use giving great versatility to the so-called .22 TCM9R" conversion.

These days my "carry rotation" begins with a P80 built G17 .22TCM9R with 20 rounds of 5.56x24 loaded. Secondary choices are P80 built G19 also in .22TCM9R, also carrying 16 rounds of 5.56x24. Another choice I REALLY like for off-body carry is my CZ75B with .22TCM9R conversion, stoked with 18 rounds of 5.56x24.

Regardless of what "platform" is chosen, neither the 9mm nor .45 ACP are state of the art for modern combat which includes self defense. Neither will penetrate TL3A soft body armor without special bullets and loads, and both are inadequate for punching through steel and alloy plate/sheet. From ballistics testing done in concert with predator control and hunting, I've validated the .22TCM9R/5.56x24 and suitably loaded 5.7x28 to be highly destructive with superior energy transfer to the classic calibers.

Overall, Glock gets the final nod due to better ergonomics than the FsN, equal number of rounds capability, slightly smaller dimensions while only slightly heavier but firing a much less expensive cartridge of superior terminal effect. With Gen-5 +2 mags the G17 holds a solid 20 shots, and can be recharged with Glock 30 round mags. From the holster the G17 offers a significant firepower advantage only increased when reloaded with Magpul 21 round, or OEM 30 round mags. The gun shoots fast and flat - the concept of "recoil recovery" is non-existent.
Even the inexpensive Armscor 40 grain JHP bullet with generous exposed lead will out-punch 9mm FMJ on steel and Kevlar. The Speer 40 grain SP takes it to another level due to its thick jacket and tiny exposed tip of lead. 10-gauge steel is easily defeated, and both front and back of TL3A Kevlar defeated (no torso inside).
If I get attacked by multiple people wearing body armor, my number is up.

What you and your hand likes. One advantage 1911s have had for years is it is not that hard to change out the grips and MSHs. A little more work to change out the grip safety, hammer, thumb safety and trigger. In other words one can sort of make the gun fit your hand. With some of the new SIGs the future may be stick your hand in a 3D scanner and then have a 3D printer made a lower that fits your hand perfectly that then goes on their "subframe".

I’m carrying one 1911 or another 80% of the time....and my G19 the other 20% of the time.

I shoot 1911 pistols better and would rather have one in hand if a gun was needed. Nothing against Glock pistols whatsoever....they have performed perfectly for me for 20+ years.

I’m simply a 1911 guy....until it comes to hunting. Then it’s time for a 44mag wheelgun.

I know when I go to the range with my Glocks and Colt 1911, I generally shoot my Glock First. I have a difficult time transitioning from the Glock trigger to the 1911 trigger. While I have carried the 1911 in the past for concealed carry, I only carry G

I know when I go to the range with my Glocks and Colt 1911, I generally shoot my Glock first. I have a difficult time transitioning from the Glock trigger to the 1911 trigger. While I have carried the 1911 in the past for concealed carry, I only carry Glocks now. I think it is a bad decision to carry two completely different platforms for concealed carry. I have been in some high stress incidents and that is not the time to have to decide do I just pull the trigger or do I have to take the safety off. This is just an old wore out Troopers opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I know when I go to the range with my Glocks and Colt 1911, I generally shoot my Glock first. I have a difficult time transitioning from the Glock trigger to the 1911 trigger. While I have carried the 1911 in the past for concealed carry, I only carry Glocks now. I think it is a bad decision to carry two completely different platforms for concealed carry. I have been in some high stress incidents and that is not the time to have to decide do I just pull the trigger or do I have to take the safety off. This is just an old wore out Troopers opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.
I sure don’t understand that position. I have been in situations over the years and never had a worry about handling my handgun, whether revolver, SA auto, or striker fired auto. To me that’s like saying because I carry Glocks with no safety I can’t run an AR because it has a safety.
I will say that people with less experience with 1911s might have an issue but when my hand wraps around a 1911 operating the safety is automatic.
If you are a person that’s thinks it’s not a good idea then you probably shouldn’t consider it.

Over the years, in Law Enforcement, I have carried a S&W 66, 686, 60- J Frame, Colt Commander 1911, Glock G-23.
I am now carrying a G-43. I have shot and practiced with all those platforms, and it doesn't matter which one I pick up, I can shoot good, and fast with it. I don't like the trigger on the DA/SA pistols, such as the Beretta 92. I can shoot them just fine, and very good, just don't like it. Even though I was Issued one for 10 years, and bought a M9 and practiced with it till I was very good with it, I still don't like it.
My Favorite for carry is the G-23, the 1911 is close behind.
I have no problem with sight alignment when I change from 1911, to Glock, and back to 1911. I have found that I shoot the Stock Glock Sight Better than the 3 Dot.

Reactions: DocPoison and vba
Most of my autoloaders are either Glocks or 1911s (and the rest are almost all SAO) and I have no issues switching between them at the range.

I tend to carry a SAO (1911 or a Sig SAO) but every year or so I decided to train up my Glocks and carry them for a while, but always make my way back to the 1911.

Reactions: DocPoison and vba
To me switching from 1911 to Glock is no harder than getting into a car or Truck or Motorcycle with a standard transmission.
I learned to drive in a 1953 Dodge Pickup, with 3 on the tree.
Later on I got to drive automatics.
I had a 1971 Chevy pickup, that the Automatic played out, and I changed it out for a 4 Speed Truck Tranny.
I had several trucks and cars with standard trans.
With that background I have no more trouble with Pistols, than with Transmissions.
In fact I prefer standards and Glocks.

One of the more interesting blogs with some really expert feed back. Truth is, you can carry just about anything and get away with it simply because the odds are that you'll never need it. So let's ignore that, true that it is. Departments went from revolver to pistol and did OK with transition training. A lot of guys didn't adjust (or didn't want to) and were allowed to keep their revolvers. And from Glocks (point and shoot) to, for example, Sig 226 where the first shot was double action followed by single action. And then remembering to decock. Totally different feel. But think about carrying on duty where the gun is exposed OTW and then transitioning to off duty CC with possibly IWB. Doesn't usually end up being a problem. And it's no argument that you act the way you train, stress being the big factor. This has been shown in a slew of Police Videos, and unfortunately a lot of the training wasn't very good. So to be on the safe side, though unproven, ideally you would carry the same gun, if possible, all the time and train with it regularly. For a cop carry your off duty at the 3 o'clock position, same as the duty gun. Glock or 1911, doesn't really matter. And if you like switching around, probably still doesn't matter if most of your training is with a 1911. When you shoot the Glock you'll thumb the slide safety which simply isn't there and get your shot off OK (ask me how I know this). For myself, I went from the Glock 19 back to a 1911 style gun, and almost always carry in the 3 o'clock position, OWB. OWB is just comfortable and easily concealable with my Milt Sparks leather holster, with a loose T-shirt with another T underneath. Sometimes I use a Kydex with leather lining and carry AIWB. I know, a different position, and am hoping that I won't inadvertently reach for my gun, under stress, and find it isn't there. But some situations I have found are better for one type of holster over another. And admittingly, will sometimes grab my Glock 43 and carry AIWB.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.