Thinkin' 'bout gyroplane..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Skyhook, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

And was wondering if any 'seasoned' gyroplane, AKA Gyrocopter, pilots are on the Flight Deck.

Since they offer a whole new realm of flying experience, I am really curious and might just pursue the purchasing of one.
    Comments, anyone?

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

I had a buddy of mine who bought one.

he used to con me into going to his storage unit and help him put it together.

We had most of it done but he got out of the Marine Corps and moved back to Oregon.

I remember him taking leave to take Gyrocopter lessons. Some person out in Oregon who had more flight time on gyrocopters than anyone else.

Latter he told me that the instructor died in a gyrocopter crash. Hmm imgamine that.

My Buddy's Gyrocopter had drop tanks and a pre rotator so it would take off faster.

It was powered by a Rotax engine. I don't remember the model number, but if you can go back about 10 years ago it was the biggest one you could fit on the copter.

I guess he saw the road warrior and decided he needed to have one.

3. Skyhook

Skyhook

I think I recall that accident and the make of gyro.. That particular company had several accidents due to the main rotor contacting the prop (pusher, remember?)during negative G loading of the rotor disc. Since that 'early time' things have improved astronomically and those acft are almost totally redesigned and the materials are much better. We also had a local buy the farm in one of those for the reasons I cited.
    PIOs (pilot induced ocillations) were also something inexperienced gyro pilots got involved with that proved deadly. That has been overcome for the most part by better training and the addition of effective horizontal stabilizers.
    The performance and flight characteristics of those thangs still are intrigueing, nonetheless.

4. Helopilot

Helopilot

the gyro is like any aircraft, it takes training and practice. Go to www.rotaryforum.com and lurk and ask questions. The gyro has undergone many improvements in recent years and is safer that ever. It the next best thing to a helicopter. As slow as 12 knots and as fast as 100+ it is very versital. Caution, it is addictive!!! Prices are anywhere from 9k for basic to 50k for all the bells and whistles.

Dennis

5. Helopilot

Helopilot

the gyro is like any aircraft, it takes training and practice. Go to www.rotaryforum.com and lurk and ask questions. The gyro has undergone many improvements in recent years and is safer that ever. It the next best thing to a helicopter. As slow as 12 knots and as fast as 100+ it is very versital. Caution, it is addictive!!! Prices are anywhere from 9k for basic to 50k for all the bells and whistles.

Dennis

6. Skyhook

Skyhook

Helopilot, I have checked out that site and have done some lurking. I also just joined a rotocraft outfit (a couple of weeks back, forgot the exact moniker) and am looking forward to gaining info. The things do have appeal.
    A couple of years back a fellow from neighboring VT came flitting over and I remember doing some gawking then when he landed in about ten feet. :cool:

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The gyro was on my short list of something to fly out of my place but like the rest of the flying machines it just can't operate out of my short field.

Too bad I didn't know years ago I would need a little more land today.;Q

I saw a beautiful gyro for sale (on the net) 3 or 4 months ago.
    If it hadn't been across the country I might own it today.:)

8. Helopilot

Helopilot

Hey Buck!
    Setting here in Cameron,...pea soup for two days now. Nobody flying. Can just make out the back row of aircraft.
    A couple of gyros will get off the ground in 100 to 200' with a good pre-rotator and a head wind(5 to 10knots). They have to level off and gain a little more a/s (40 knots) before a good climb out. Those gyros with a small engine or those with all the whistles and bells need 400 to 500' to t/o. That's still not much. Look how far it takes a B model with a full load to hit translational. How much distance do you have on the wires on the north side?
    I plan on building a Dominator gyro when I retire to keep the flying bug fed.

Dennis

9. Helopilot

Helopilot

Skyhook,
    Every spring they have a gyro flyin in Wachula FL., and the international convention in Mentone IN. in the summer. There are gyros of every size shape and description. Several manufacturers give demo rides to prospective buyers. Get in line to ride at your own risk as it will change forever the way you look up at sounds in the sky. It is a terrible addiction. The range of airspeed and the visibility from a gyro is like nothing else. The view from the paraglider that M2Carbine flies is like it but the para doesn't have the control that the gyro has. The gyro boys will be flying in winds and turbulence that has the paras and ultrlights grounded. The two place training aircraft and design improvements have reduced accidents significantly. Gryo pilots used to have to train themselves step by step from taxi to low flight to flying and landing. The Popular Rotorcraft Assoc. (PRA-www.pra.org) has a good site and the monthly mag is worth it. There is a link to gyro manufacturers on the pra site.

Blue skies and steady winds.

Dennis

10. Skyhook

Skyhook

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll call them up to get specifics for their big event. My RV-4 will feel right at home on that strip.;)

James Dean, eh?

11. Helopilot

Helopilot

Skyhook,
    Sounds like the perfect combination to me, an RV4 to go point to point and a gyro to run around the patch. There are a couple of 100 knot gyros that are marginal cross country machines but the joy of a gyro is in its open, slow, playing in the wind and looking at the countryside type of flying. On the rotory forum, check out the thread about the dominator white machine. A rotax 503 engine, minimum equipment(read-light weight)is really fun to fly. Gyro pilots that have larger machines get a kick out of getting back to the basic, fun bird.

12. Skyhook

Skyhook

Thanks for the tip. I'll be looking that White machine over. The only other gyro I've been looking at is that Italian 35K+ machine.;a

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dennis, My longest runway is about 500'. Rough and less than flat.
    These are a couple pictures on final.

It doesn't really look like Gyro country does it?

Landing NW on my RC model flying field.
    Short field but good approach and climb out across the neighbor's front yards.;f
    300' from fence to fence.
    I usually get stopped about 30' from the far fence, just past that white cover.
    [​IMG]

This is the 500' runway.
    Coming in over the wires and down hill is a little uncomfortable.
    I don't like this approach but it's the best runway for taking off.
    About 45' over the neighbor's house (by my foot) is my final approach fix.;)
    [​IMG]

14. Guest

The Gyrobee is a true ultralight gyrocopter that can be scratch built. Look over this web site carefully. The designer, Ralph Taggert, explains a lot about gyros and the design philosophy that went into the Gyrobee. What's better is that he has made the plans, a 131 page book of diagrams and instructions, free. Anyone can down load the plans and instructions. You will learn a lot from Ralph, he was a writer for Rotorcraft Magazine.

http://taggart.glg.msu.edu/gyro/gbee.htm

15. unixglocker

unixglocker

Haven't seen one in many year, but this thread got me to wondering what was out there now and I found this RAF.

http://www.raf2000.com/html/raf_specifications_2.htm

I never knew that the speed could go down to 10mph, is that in level flight? Or sinking? That's slower than a hang glider can fly.