close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Think I blew a hole in my slide

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TomB985, Jun 16, 2012.

1. TomB985

TomB985

Hi everyone,

Relatively new to Glocks, as I've only had my G19 for just over a year now. I bought my Gen 4 G19 back in May of 2011, and have put somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 rounds through it over the past year or so.

About 700 or so have been my own reloads, and none have been loaded to the max load; the most recent load I've been using is 3.6 grains of Unique pushing 147 grain lead bullets. Always functions great, and they feel a bit softer than the factory Speer +P rounds I have for self defense. Tonight I shot 60 of these rounds without incident; everything felt just the way it should. When I took it apart I found this:

[​IMG]

I figure that I either:

(A) Completely forgot that a hole is supposed to be there allowing me to view the striker

or

(B) Somehow, some way blew a small hole in my slide.

Am I going crazy, or is this hole really not supposed to be there? If not, how the heck does this happen? Sorry for the dirty condition guys, I took these without cleaning it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

That little round hole is supposed to be there, but something sure did a job on the breech face. I suggest you call 1-770-432-1202 on Monday and ask for the Warranty Service Department.

Your reload recipe should be safe, as it is on the light side of the scale.

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

The striker has to protrude THROUGH that "small hole" to make contact with the primer in the base of the base?

5. TomB985

TomB985

Not talking about the hole in the breech face, but the one on the bottom of the slide visible in the first picture. I think I'm gonna remove the two photos that aren't as clear.

If I did lose my mind and am making a big deal about a hole that's been there the entire time please say so. And if this is the case, someone can feel free to smack me upside the head. But in all the times I've cleaned this thing I don't ever remember a hole on the underside of the slide that exposes the striker.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Again, that little round hole is supposed to be there to allow any loose debris or moisture to fall out.

7. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

I just checked my G19 and I have the same hole. You're all good.

8. TomB985

TomB985

Huuuh. Now I'm just confused. Apparently I did, in fact, lose my mind. I'm damn near positive that I've never seen it before today, but my memory must be failing me in my young age. I even sent the pic to a buddy who has a G23 and he told me that it didn't look right. But in hindsight, he ain't that bright. Neither am I apparently.

:ack:

9. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

The nickname for that hole, per the armorers course, is the "garbage hole". It allows debris/water to exit the striker channel. All Glock pistol's have this.

10. mj9mm

mj9mm

shoot it some and look for more holes?:rofl:they should appear down range somewhere...

11. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Using any reloads will void the warranty. I wouldn't tell them you are shooting your own reloads. It says so right on the box the gun comes in.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

12. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

The hole should be there and as said it allows stuff to get out, also believe it allows gas to escape if a primer blows. :supergrin:

13. TomB985

TomB985

I think that's just because it was a poor photo of a dirty gun. I just cleaned things up with some Hoppes and a brush and the bore face looks great.

Thanks for that. It appears that I earned it. :rollsmiley:

Yes it does, I remember that pretty clearly. I also ignored it and have been having great luck with reloads. Of course I'm not the adventurous type that likes to push max loads either, and in the off chance I have a kaBoom I won't blame the manufacturer unless there's some strong evidence pointing that way.

And for what it's worth, not that this helps my credibility any, after playing with it I'm absolutely certain that I've never seen this hole before. I've played with every inch of this gun hundreds of times from every angle, and I remember very clearly that this particular part of the slide didn't have a hole. When peeking through the hole tonight and moving the striker all I could think of was, "I've never SEEN this before!" All I can guess was that some strange fluke in the manufacturing process didn't punch the hole out all the way, and after repeated firings it fell out.

Of course this all seems perfectly ridiculous, and you all are probably going to think I'm crazy. But I'm certain of it, and I can live with being thought of as nuts. In fact, Crazy is my handle on another forum. :freak:

14. WhiskeyUnicorn

WhiskeyUnicorn Mall Ninja Extraordinaire

Sorry son...you're crazy

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

I just went upstairs, and took the slide off mine. I too was sure I had never seen that hole before. Sure enough, there's a hole there.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

16. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

You need to sell it. What's your phone number?

17. Porterhouse83

Porterhouse83

:rofl:

18. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Unique is dirty as hell I hate it!

19. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Wtf? Lol

20. Bello

Bello America/Italia

It's all I shoot in my 7 glocks >.<