close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Think about this...and then...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Magnum 357, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Magnum 357

Magnum 357

Think about this...and then tell me your opinion.
    All manufacturers give the information about if the pistol is DA or SA etc...but very few give the the trigger pull in pounds. I understand that this can vary between pistol, but I think an approximate information should be given. Let me give you an example. I prefer to carry a pistol that has a DA pull of 8 pounds and a SA pull of 4 pounds, than a pistol that is DAO with a trigger pull of 2.5 pounds.
    I am assuming that we have a cartridge in the chamber and safety off.
    I think is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to know your trigger pull...let me know what you think.

2. vafish

vafish

Glock lists if it has a 3.5, 5.5, NY1 or NY2 trigger in their guns.

Yes it would be nice if all manufactures gave that information. But trigger pull can vary within models and depending upon the type of trigger and where you measure the trigger pull it really can vary a lot.

Also pull weight is only one part of the trigger feel. A heavier, but smooth trigger pull with crisp let off can feel better than a slightly lighter, gritty, mushy trigger.

3. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I'm more worried about the quality of the trigger pull than about the weight. I'd rather have a crisp 7 pound trigger pull with a responsive reset than a mushy 5 pound trigger pull and gritty reset. The idea of manufacturers listing approximate trigger pull weight isn't a bad one, but it is only a part of the story.

4. Aces and 8s

Aces and 8s Dead Mans Hand

It would be nice if they listed it to be honest, at least an aprx. This is information that I would like to know.

5. GLShooter

GLShooter

I prefer one that I don't have to fight. On a double action it should be smooth and stack smoothly. The single should not be mushy. Weight of pull is so subjective to some shooters based on how they place their finger on the trigger and how they pull it. Some 8 pounders feel hard on some guns while others don't seem near that high based on grip shape.

The size of the shooters hands in relationship to the trigger face can also make a perceived difference.

My goal is to have a consistent let off on a pistol that I am familiar with. My SA 1911's are down around 3 pounds but I also shot a High Power that is up around 4 1/2 and it feels like a ton until I get back in the swing of things with it.

I could care less what the actual pull weight is. I compete and was an FI for the BOP before I retired so have adapted to both ends of the spectrum.

Greg

6. dosei

dosei

IMHO, weight is not an issue. No manufacturer will ever make one that is too light. 3 pounds is about as light as any manufacturer will put on a gun intended for SD use (the only ones that light come from a very small number of ultra high end custom 1911 houses)...and the VAST majority make sure it is over 5 pounds. Smooth travel & crisp break with minimal overtravel is most important to me. Gritty/coarse travel, excessive stacking, wobbly triggers, & excessive overtravel are what I don't want. I have zero worries about a gun, purchased new, having too light of a trigger.

I'd much rather they include a target with a 5 shot group at 25 yards from a ransom rest.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

It isn't the weight that matters, unless you are talking a VZ70 or something. My XD had a lighter trigger pull than my Glock, but the overtravel was so bad that I had trouble shooting it as well.