Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Things your kids can't believe you like... or should be too old to like.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Habit, Apr 9, 2010.

1. The Habit

The Habit كافر

My wife and I have three kids; ages 13, 14, and 15. They simply can't believe some things that are cool now were cool when I was their age. For reference, I'm 38 and graduated high school in 1989. Even though I'm pushing 40, I consider myself pretty "cool".

As an example, I bought a pair of retro checkerboard Vans a few weeks ago. All three kids were like "Dad, you can't wear those! You are way too old for those!". It simply blew their minds that I was rocking the same shoes over 20 years ago. My son recently asked for a pair of Doc Martens for his birthday. He about fell over when I went to my closet and produced a pair of 8 eye Docs that I bought in 1990.

Music is another big one. Even though my son has been familiar with my music collection for quite awhile, it still amazes him that I listen to some of the stuff that I do. He really freaked out when he was digging through my CD collection and found my Pantera CDs. He can't believe that someone "old" would listen to Pantera. I then reminded him Pantera was formed in 1981... when *I* was only 10 years old.

Not to mention that I used to skate pretty seriously when I was a teenager. Heck, I even used to rock the half pipe. If you believed my kids, skating wasn't even invented until the X Games.

Other than the Vans, I generally "dress my age". I'd really like to walk out of the bedroom one day wearing my old Iron Maiden t-shirt, ratty Levi jacket, and ripped up jeans. That would probably send them all right over the edge.
  2. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

Central, MI
    Just turned 40 and my 13 yr old son and I go online and play xbox together all the time. To his friends I am the coolest dad they know!

3. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    My daughters are still a little too young to know how cool their dad is, but my 13 year old nephew asks to come over to listen to Black Sabbath and AC/DC. He gives me a hand in the garage working on V8 powered cars with carburetors.

He saw a picture of my first "new" truck, a 1986 (I was a freshman in college)Toyota that had a 6" lift and all decked out in off road stuff. He thought that was the coolest thing ever