close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Things to talk a dealer down?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 357glocker, Apr 15, 2006.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

I am set to take my safety course at the beginning of may and I am going to be purchasing a 2005 Kawasaki EX250. The problem is the dealers sticker price is $3699:shocked: Everything I have found on the net says not to pay over 3k for it. I have some blue book values and the MSRP's printed out from various web sites. These bikes don't have any "options" on them as far I know. What other things can I do to get this dealer down to the 3k mark? There aren't many other options in the area except classifieds and I'm kind of wary about buying a used sport bike from somebody I don't know.

2. BikerRN

BikerRN

Price the same bike at other dealers, even out of state.

Then go to your dealer and tell them you can buy it for X number of dollars at so and so's dealership. If they bring up the distance factor just tell them you are planning to go to that city anyways, so bringing a bike back is no problem.

Good luck.

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Just make sure when you discuss pricing you discusss out the door pricing and get it in writing from 3-4 dealers. Then lie to a couple of them that you can the bike for $200 less than the lowest price and see what they say. The dealer profit on some bikes is as much as $1500-2000 depending on how many bikes they move.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

MSRp on a brand new EX250 is like $2999. All of the dealerships will gouge you "dealer's prep" fee and shipping fee. I'm willing to pay for shipping fee if it's reasonable (say, no more than $400), but I'll be damn if I pay for "prep" fee. That's part of your job! Besides, there isn't anything to prep. Most of these bikes come preassembled with practically everything ready. They may have to mount ONE tire, check the tire pressures, check fluids, fill up the gas, and maybe install mirrors. Dealer's prep fee and shipping freight sometimes go up to $1000 at certain stealerships...ahem...Del Amo Motorsports in Manhattan Beach, California...not that I'm dropping name or anything.;)

Usually a fair deal would be MSRP as out-of-the-door price, unless the bike is one of those "must-have" numbers and then you'll be paying of your wazoo and then some.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

3699?!?! No way in hell should you pay that.

I was in the same boat as you friday. I had 3K cash in my pocket and I was ready to buy an EX250. I WOULD have paid up to 3150 total but that was as high as I was willing to go. There is no reason you should not get that bike for 3100-3200 out the door including tax, title and license. If you can't find it for that, don't buy a new one. Used EX250s are all over ebay, a year or two old and you can get one with LOW miles for 2500-2800 depending on the year.

I dealt with two ***** dealers who wouldn't come down to where I wanted. The best I could get one to do was 3150 before tax. I nicely said FU and walked out.

I ended up buying a used 2003 EX500 for 2750(2970 out the door after T/T/L). Only has 2600 miles and is in almost perfect condition. I'm very happy with it. I suggest you look into the 500 rather than the 250. I haven't ridden the 250, but my 500 moves out quickly but the acceleration is certainly not scary compared to a modern 600cc supersport bike. I think the 250 would have been way too underpowered for my tastes and I'm a light 165 pounds. On a subjective note, I like the look of the 500 better as well. Of course it's your choice, but I'd try to steer you in that direction.

6. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I don't know where in Nebraska you're at, but you may try a couple dealers in KC. I know it's a couple hours drive, but it'd be worth it if the price is right.
    Plus, if you find the bike you want, you can have the engine halfway broke in by the time you get home.

7. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I just remembered that a friend of mine in GI bought a bike last year from Kearney Yamaha. Sales Manager there is Craig (don't know last name), and my friend said he was a real straight shooter, no BS kind of guy. But again, I don't know if that is too far away for you.

8. 357glocker

357glocker

Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding a dealer in Clarinda, IA with a 2004 EX250 still in the crate! I went to take a look and walked out the door with a new bike(0.9miles) and two new full face helmets for $3018. I've been riding it a little bit around the neighborhood and no traffic hwy's. This under 4k rpm thing is hard to keep under wraps! 31mph for the next 500miles:frown:

I tried to talk to the original dealer, PSP in Omaha the one that wanted 3699, and he said he wouldn't lower the price because somebody else would come in and pay his price:upeyes: All I can say is please shop around.

9. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

You don't have to keep it in 1st gear, you can use the other gears.

10. 357glocker

357glocker

4k in top gear on my 250 will only get me going around 30-35mph. After 500 miles, the sticker on the tach says I can get wild and make her holler as long as I don't exceed 6k rpm's to 1000miles:supergrin: 6k in top gear I might break 50mph. I really do want to break the bike in according to the manufacturers advice so it'll be slow going for a while.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There are two schools of thoughts when it comes to breaking in a bike, and the schools are very adamant that they are correct with their techniques. Followers of both schools are also hard core riders and gear heads, so who knows? I'll post the ideas and let you decide:

1. Break in per manufacturer's recommendation. Keep it under a suggested RPM for a certain mileage, varying the throttle so that you don't cruise at the same RPM for a long time.

2. Romp the hell out of the bike.
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

On the Street:
    Warm the engine up completely:
    Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
    anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
    and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
    Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.

12. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

I've always followed that same school of thought when it came to breaking in a new motor for my car. Start it, let it warm up while varing the rpm a LOT, stop, drain the oil and let it cool. Then take it out and drive it for 10-20 miles, varying the load and RPM constantly. Bring it back, drain oil again, and it's ready for the track. The motor took plenty of abuse/nitrous immediately after this break in method, and I never had any problems.

FWIW, I believe Kawasaki puts that same sticker on ALL their bikes.

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Good to hear about another Husker biker! In Lincoln, prices suck with reagard to repair costs. My 1981 KZ 550 is an expensive bike to maintain according to the big boys in town...

14. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

All bikes are expensive to maintain if you let the dealers do the maintenance. Same thing with four wheeled vehicles. The more you do yourself, the better, but everyone has their own mechanical aptitude limits.

How about the weather this weekend wren? I only got about 100 miles of riding in, but it was good to be out nonetheless.

15. 357glocker

357glocker

I got about 150 miles put on the new bike. I changed the oil once already mostly just to get a hands on on it. At 500 miles I will probably take it to the dealer to have the valves adjusted per the manual. How much would you expect this to cost? All the other maintenance I think I can do myself.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The 600-miles service will probably set you back a couple of hundred bucks. Supposedly they are to check for everything. All the nuts and bolts, valve adjustments (if needed), changing oil & filter...general inspections.

There is no way in hell I am going to spend hundreds of dollars to get a Japanese bike serviced. Most of the time they hardly need anything more than oil change and once in a great while, valve adjustment and fuel filter change, shocks rebuild, etc. I shudder in horror listening to these kids saying that the dealerships are docking them $600-700 for major services. But when I give them names and addresses of competent shops to take their bikes to, they look at me like I'm stupid and lecture me about how they "trust" the dealerships more.

Well, I guess if you want to pay $700 service on a $8000 bike, it's your money.

17. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

It was great, Only trips made in the TITAN this weekend were to the local Starbucks. The rest were on the bike. Only got about 40 miles in doing errands. I still need to get a coffee cup holder (see my thread on that issue...).

18. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I'm looking at getting this done as well, but it ain't gonna be cheap for me, looking at the service manual...