Glock Talk banner

Things to do in Louisville KY?

869 18
The soon to be wife and I are getting married on September 26. We will be traveling to Louisville on the 28th for about a 4 day stay. She mentioned a steam boat ride. So I have looked into the "Belle of Louisville" and you can purchase tickets in advance that include dinner. That is going to happen for sure. I love bourbon and seeing cool things. Just wondering what my fellow LEO'S would recommend. Where is a decent place to rent a hotel room? Where should I avoid?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
I'm in Louisville. The Belle is awesome. The Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs is pretty neat, as well. Lots of stops on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail (distilleries and such, most with tours and tastings), as well as several wineries, in an easy driving distance. A lot of nice parks if you're into that. If you want to go out to bars and such, avoid Fourth Street Live. It's just an overpriced tourist trap. Most locals go to the many bars in the Highlands on Bardstown Road.

As far as hotels, it depends on what you want and what kind of budget you have. Lots of options. Let me know what you're looking for, and I'll try to guide you as best as I can.

As far as areas to avoid: If you're downtown, don't go west of 9th street. Beyond that, and you're getting into the hood. There are several other pockets (south of I-264 on Poplar Level Road is the Newburg area, which can be fairly ghetto, and several other little pockets). Just keep your eyes open; if you see an Indie's chicken place, especially in conjunction with a liquor store with bars on the windows and a cash advance place, you're probably somewhere you don't want to take the family to, lol.

Hope you enjoy your trip! Any other questions, let me know! There's a few of us GTers in the area, and some others will probably chime in soon as well.

· NRA4EVR
12,828 Posts
Fourth Street Live. Restaurants, bars, lots of fun. I've stayed at both the Galt House and Seelbach hotels. Both are excellent. Go to a Louisville Bats game, too. Great ballpark with a fun crowd.

· NRA Life Member
75,540 Posts
Well, if you want to do something that is traditional/historic Kentucky, you could always stay at the Brown Hotel . . . and have a Hot Brown (an original Kentucky food, invented there, that is never a bad choice).

You could stop by the Frazier Museum of History - it was originally the Frazier Historical Arms Museum and specialized in firearms, but it is less firearm oriented now, I guess. Probably still have some cool stuff. The web site says:
There is no other museum in the world where you can see:
• The ceremonial sword of Founding Father Josiah Bartlett
• The family bible of the legendary pioneer Daniel Boone
• The original “Big Stick” of President Theodore Roosevelt
• The bow attributed to the great Apache leader Geronimo
• The ivory-handled Colt pistols of General George Armstrong Custer

There's the Louisville Slugger museum - I have never heard of a team called the Louisville Sluggers. Apparently there is one called the Louisville Bats.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
You could check if the Zussman facility is doing any training exercises. I lived there for about 7yrs until 2013 and my friends and I frequently volunteered at the Urban Warfare Training facility at the north end of Ft Knox (25-30min South of Louisville). They need a lot of role players this time of year. They'll give you eye and ear protection, an AK with blanks or a paintball gun, dress you up in a sheet and plug you into training scenarios in one of their villages. Then Delta, SEALS, sometimes even Mossad or IDF will come and kick the crap out of you and kill you. (grenades, simunition, helicopters, dogs etc). Fun way to help train the young guys for specific scenarios.

Knob Creek is just south of Louisville also. Just another range though when they're not holding the machine gun shoot.

· Lifetime Newbie
2,903 Posts
I only passed through once, but when I did I stopped by the Louisville Slugger factory. I'm a huge baseball fan, so I had a blast there.

· Registered
6,330 Posts
Agree on the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory. For a small fee they will make you a custom billy club with your name and agency engraved into the wood.

I had a full size bat made to my specs.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Agree on the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory. For a small fee they will make you a custom billy club with your name and agency engraved into the wood.

I had a full size bat made to my specs.
This is fun. Plan ahead though. Especially if you're trying to fly with carry-on bags only. It's across the street form the Frazer Museum also.

· No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
I haven't been to the slugger museum myself (though it's on my list!), but the Frazier Museum is amazing. It's the only US location that has specimens from the Royal Armouries in the UK, and a lot of local history in addition. A lot of stuff on the Lewis and Clark expedition.

· Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
69,083 Posts

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Some of this is duplicate from above:

If you like horse racing - The Churchill Downs Museum is great
If you like Baseball - The Louisville Slugger Museum is neat
If you like Boxing - The Muhammad Ali Museum is good
Whatever the Frazier Historical Arms Museum is called is good.
I have been meaning to hit up the Zip Lines in the Louisville Mega Cavern
Louisville Waterfront Park is nice on a sunny afternoon.
If you like Bourbon, there is a ton of Bourbon stuff in and near Louisville
If you like haunted stuff, Waverly Hills in neat.

· Registered
29,847 Posts
Ft. Knox?

· Registered
5,258 Posts
Derby Dinner Train in Bardstown. Very Nice.

· NRA Life Member
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks brother. I will give you a call soon. Thanks to everybody else as well. This all sounds like a lot of fun. Sorry for the delayed response. I have been very busy. But I appreciate everybody's input. Please keep it coming.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts