Glock Talk banner

Things that should be a sticky

421 Views 21 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Dragoon44
in all open internet forums.

ATTENTION ALL 20 SOMETHINGS********

This a a forum where adults gather to discuss things, adults that have real life experience and knowledge. They are not going to be impressed by some know nothing 20 somethings with zero life experience fresh from mooching off of mom and dad ( or still mooching) and full of theories they got from their limp wristed, pencil necked, commie loving, college professor.

Yes we know you think you just discovered the wheel, And that you think you know how to do it all better, and have all the answers, we were all once 20 something and stupid too.

So, keep in mind the old proverb,

Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

:supergrin:
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Ya know, I am 28 years old and I have found that this job has totally changed the way I think. Not really in a bad way but just changed. I am tired of people that haven't had a real job telling me or other officers that we "just dont know the real world".

Reality is having to load a guy that died in an enclosed trailer in 100 degree temps four days ago into a crash bag so his liquified remains didnt leach into the back of the funeral car. Or seeing a guy having blown his own brains out because he was broke and had no real life. Or fishing an illegal alien out of a shallow pool because he slipped and drowned.

Watching someone die is a *****. Especially after giving CPR for 30 minutes and trying to make sure they go home. Seeing a father beat the **** out of his wife in front of the kids and the kids crying because daddy is going to jail. They hate you because you are taking daddy away.

A family losing Christmas because some turd wanted to sell it a make some money. A mother selling everything she has and her children have because she needs that fix of heroin.

Compared to others in CT I have not been doing this that long. I have been in law enforcement since Feb. 2003. I havent seen the things that a rookie in LA has seen but it still wears down. Working rotating shifts and nights takes a toll. I am a Christian and I cant get to Church because of my schedule most of the time. That wears on me as well. People dont realize that police officers deal with stress a pressure of a different type. We eat crap that rats wont eat. Fried burritos from the 7-11 are a food group and people wonder why cops are out of shape.

I love this career and would not change it for anything else. However to say that it does have an effect on healf or maturity is a flat out wrong misconception. It really becomes easier to withdraw and tell people to go to hell. I will make it. I have to. My son needs me sane to raise him.

· Unfair Facist
28,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Inbred runts with a chip on their little shoulders is a separate issue.

:rofl::rofl:

· Zippy's Friend.
6,467 Posts
I am basically one semester away from finishing my degree - I quit school when offered the job I am doing now. For awhile I couldn't go back to school because of scheduling (new rookie getting bounced to whatever shift was short). Then kids came along - money and time were tight. Now - I have plenty of time and money. But I can't go back. I'd be surrounded by both colleger professors and late-teen early twenty-year-olds who know everything about everything.

I'd kill someone. Probably slowly. And I'd enjoy it way too much.

Nah . . . better stay home.

· Unfair Facist
28,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of these 20 something school boys are living proof of the saying.

"Some people are educated well beyond the level of their intelligence."

:rofl:

· Zippy's Friend.
6,467 Posts
Yeah - I like to tell them to go out and make their fortune quickly while they still know everything.

· Registered
12,570 Posts
Dragoon44;12721820 said:
A lot of these 20 something school boys are living proof of the saying.

"Some people are educated well beyond the level of their intelligence."

Funny you mention that quote. That is my signature on my school email account. I have received some negative feedback from professors that have never done anything in their squalid, little lives but to attend classes and then to teach the same classes.

My response is that when they venture out into the trenches, surrender their lives for the greater good and for a substantive period of time, and in some way make a real difference in the life of another human being; then and only then will I consider them worthy of serious intellectual consideration.

· Mr. Awesome
12,693 Posts
I got the PM. You didn't have to make this message public. :whistling:

· Unfair Facist
28,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"It is difficult for the young, they are born knowing so much."

· Zombie Jeebus!
1,068 Posts
You know, I'm a twenty something. After I was hired, it took my academy class 3 monhs to learn how old I was. It took my first FTO his 3 months of rotation to know I was younger than him. I'm flattered, by some account. Mrs. VR on here, when she first met me at a local restaurant, remarked that she thought I was much older. It's a compliment in my eyes.

For the most part, I despise my own generation's "values" and general outlook and existence. Everyone assumes I am a thirty something old salty bastard, as I prefer it.

· Unfair Facist
28,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fernman;12723875 said:
You know, I'm a twenty something. After I was hired, it took my academy class 3 monhs to learn how old I was. It took my first FTO his 3 months of rotation to know I was younger than him. I'm flattered, by some account. Mrs. VR on here, when she first met me at a local restaurant, remarked that she thought I was much older. It's a compliment in my eyes.

For the most part, I despise my own generation's "values" and general outlook and existence. Everyone assumes I am a thirty something old salty bastard, as I prefer it.
You will not think it is so cool when you are 40 and people think you are 50.

· Zombie Jeebus!
1,068 Posts
Dragoon44;12723904 said:

If I make it that far, the rest is icing on the cake old man :wavey:

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Yeah well we all look at what you have and say woah. That was cool. So the fact that you are breathing is a testament to your will.

· Crazy CO
17,668 Posts
Dragoon44;12723904 said:

You speak the truth my dinosaur friend.:rofl:

· Super Moderator
61,662 Posts
This is freaking beautiful...
Dragoon44;12713941 said:
in all open internet forums.

ATTENTION ALL 20 SOMETHINGS********

This a a forum where adults gather to discuss things, adults that have real life experience and knowledge. They are not going to be impressed by some know nothing 20 somethings with zero life experience fresh from mooching off of mom and dad ( or still mooching) and full of theories they got from their limp wristed, pencil necked, commie loving, college professor.

Yes we know you think you just discovered the wheel, And that you think you know how to do it all better, and have all the answers, we were all once 20 something and stupid too.

So, keep in mind the old proverb,

Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

:supergrin:
Of course, the retort is, "I don't have to have BTDT to know what to do."

· Unfair Facist
28,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RussP;12739973 said:
This is freaking beautiful...Of course, the retort is, "I don't have to have BTDT to fantasize what to do."
Changed in the interest of accuracy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts