thin ridged sheet of plastic

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Apr 15, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Short version:
    I need a thin, light weight sheet of plastic, 24x24 inches. What key words should I be searching for?

Long version:
    I am running saddle bags on my bicycle. When they are not full or full of the wrong stuff they roll and have been known to rube the tire. I am thinking a very thin, ridged sheet of plastic would separate the wheel from the bag at all times. I don't have very many tools with me so this must be able to cut the sheet with minimal tools. I assume I will attach the sheet of plastic to the bicycle rack with zip ties.

2. smokin762

smokin762

You’re looking for Plexiglass.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

3. ozark-tracker

ozark-tracker

they have those size sheets at lowes here, you might take a look there.

4. Averageman

Averageman

Better yet what you need is a sign.
    Those Election signs would make a great liner/stiffener for your bag. Made of light plastic and formed like cardboard.

5. RWBlue

Plexiglass is too heavy and thick.

Thoughts on Kydex?

6. RWBlue

That might work, but I don't want to wait for an election.

What are they made from?

7. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

This.
    Just make sure the sign is from a Democrat. It will work better.

8. smokin762

smokin762

Maybe you just needed a better hanging bracket for the saddle bags. Something that sticks out a little further for better clearence.

9. smokin762

smokin762

Naw, a democrat sign would want certain entitlements and you would have to still support it.:whistling:

10. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

If you can find a plastics supplier they would have and cut to size polycarbonite sheet material of various thicknesses that would be stronger and better able to handle flexing without breakage than plexiglass or acrylic.

I recently bought a 2'x6' sheet for a project, and 'weld-on #3' glue to fuse the ends into a cylinder.

11. DaneA

DaneA

A product called coraplast. Basically it is plastic cardboard. Any sign shop should be able to give you a few scraps.

Nah... It will just promise to hold up and then not do it.

12. RWBlue

Yes, I could spend more money and buy a different bracket or even different bags, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money on this project.

13. Averageman

Averageman

A product called coraplast. Basically it is plastic cardboard. Any sign shop should be able to give you a few scraps.
    This is what the signs are made of, it looks just like cardboard and it is made of plastic. Stiff and it will work for you.

14. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

If you were local to me I would tell you to head out to Regal Plastics in Dallas and look in the scrab bin for some lexan. But it sounds like coroplast will fix you up and is probably
    easier to find. FWIW you can buy sheets of lexan from hobby lobby type store, it's used on cheaper poster frames instead of glass.

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

You need something thin, strong, light weight and won't shatter. Why not a piece of aluminum instead of plastic?

16. RDW

RDW BTDT

Tap Plastic??

17. BEER

BEER bad example

there's a material called frp, or fiberglass reinforced plastic that's used in home remodeling so it's available at lowe's or home depot. it's thin, light, rigid, and usually relatively cheap. it's also designed to resit things like permanent marker and the like so cleaning it would be pretty easy.

it's smooth on the back side and the front is like a pebbled sort of texture but for your application i don't see that being an issue.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This is exactly what I did to the inside of the saddlebags on my wife's motorcycle because they had a tendency to cave in when empty. Wait a few months and there should be plenty of Romney or Obama signs on lawns everywhere...steal whichever one you either dislike more or would be least embarrassed to have on your bike. :whistling: HH

19. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

kydex isn't incredibly rigid in sizes like that, even up to .125" thicknesses.

in that size, plexi is more rigid and about the same weight, iirc.

the other methods mentioned would be more effective.

20. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

I have some 35 year old Cannondale bags. They do have plastic liners to hold the bags in shape. The other brand I have does not. The plastic sheets are very lightweight. they aren't super thin and they aren't super rigid. They are a cloudy-white color and sort of a "soft" plastic". Almost like foam, but a very thin foam. I've seen material like but I can't remember where. It is sort of like insulation for small things or even a bit like padded wrapping.
    The liners in the Cannondale bags aren't on just the inside wall but form an L across the bottoms of the bags too. They curve around. If you take them out they will straighten and flatten out like a piece of paper.

If you mean the one bag at the rear of the saddle and one on the handlebars, the plastic liners roll the whole curve of the bag. Keeps them from going flat or dragging.