They Don't Make Electric Fans Like They Used To.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Aug 25, 2019.

1. jmohme

jmohme

I see your point, and definitly agree on the motorcycles, but the cars, while better than anything from Great Britain and way ahead of anything with Lucas electronics were still far from top of the quality scale in the overall market.
    But your point is taken.

2. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Great fans and circulators, assembled in the US. I’ve Had one replaced under warranty too.

michael_b and cyberghostx13 like this.

3. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Nah, my old apt. windows aren't set up sizewise for that, and like I said it's only about 3 weeks total for the whole year. Really it's all about the wind, or lack there of for those 3 weeks.

I live in the lower hills just above the El Camino Real in a dead-end circle at the end of a steep short hill. When the wind is happening on a hot day, I leave my front door and back door open as they both a in my living room and situated Northeast to Southwest right thru my apartment....ahhhhh, that's the ticket.

I love living here and have since 1997. It has gotten to be very expensive for houses and apts. but I have a real decent and fair landlord and my place is way under market(Knock on wood). Cal-Train is 5 minutes away by bike. 45 minute Cal-Train ride to San Francisco(Inside and Out, a great place to bike and hike, including a ride across the Golden Gate Bridge).

The Bay and some included local parks including a public park in and around ORACLE, are maybe 15 minutes by bike. Half-Moon Bay is maybe 20-25 miles away. It's perfect for an old retired guy and I love it. A simple, cheap, fan just makes those 3 weeks a little nicer. Spray bottle and cold drinks help as well. I don't drink much alcohol but I do drink a little beer but only after 9pm or so. Ice-Cold Lemonade or Dr. Pepper are what I drink before 9pm.

Funny, all that summer stuff, heat, breezes, now I'm thinking about "Seals and Croft". Sayonara.

jimcorbin likes this.
  4. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

A great friend from college owns an old cessna 310 from 1977. It has new seats and new electronics and paint and engines and new 3 bladed props. You sit in front at over 200 knots with those blade tips not far from the polymer windscreen and think about the force of those spinning blades... it's not exactly like listening to the gentle waves over the big sur coastline. With the proper david Clark noise cancelling headsets it's kind of peaceful. Maybe not your kind of fan.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Give the Bose Aviation A20's a shot some time.

The first time I wore my Bose Aviation X headsets, I threw my David Clark's out the window over Desolation Wilderness. :)

PS - This last bit was hyperbole, I actually gave them to a nephew. :)

G19Tony likes this.
  6. davethehiker

davethehiker

These three electric fans remove the gun smoke, keep me cool, and prevent the bugs fans.jpg from biting.

7. cyberghostx13

Well that's great, but what I want to know is, "Does a bear sh** in the woods"? JK. Nice little set-up, but where's the generator? Sayonara.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

fans.jpg

So my favorite part is the extension cord just running out to the woods somewhere. Is the outlet 240 volt ? Can I plug in my house please ??

9. cyberghostx13

Oops, didn't notice the yellow cord. Well guess I can't try to become a homicide detective anymore!!! Sayonara.

10. davethehiker

davethehiker

At least one did, on my trail. I found it and some foot prints in the mud. That's when I ordered my 10mm. I have not seen signs of it again.

That yellow cord is a long heavy duty extension cord that run up to my powered tool shed.
    BTW, there is a generator next to the shed but that's there in case of a power failure.
    Generator ice sml.jpg

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Wish I had property like that. Someday...

Jade Falcon and cyberghostx13 like this.
  12. davethehiker

davethehiker

Sorry it's just 120 ac. There is a smaller (thinner but longer) orange cord running down to the small stream that runs through my woods. I have a big bug zapper out there hanging in a tree.

13. davethehiker

davethehiker

Maybe someday you will. I just moved here about 8 years ago. I will turn 80 next week. I figure "What the heck, I can't take it with me. I'll enjoy it while I can.

Grabbrass and cyberghostx13 like this.
  14. cyberghostx13

Well I went and got my new fan outa storage, it's only 82 but not a lot of summer breeze so, why not. Anyway I turned it to the max of 3, it's oscillating and I get a nice breeze on me about every 4 seconds. Oh and it is very quiet. Now it's just a question of how long it will last, only time will tell for that. Sayonara.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  15. cyberghostx13

Janis Joplin's "Get It While You Can" plays in the background. Sayonara.

mike from st pe likes this.
  16. Speezly

Speezly

I e got some primo old metal 1950s fans that still blow your ball cap off! We live in such a disposable society. I blame Walmart. Then go buy my ammo from them cause they real cheap ‍♂️

Jade Falcon and cyberghostx13 like this.
  17. cyberghostx13

Well money talks(So ya gotsta be wise ifin ya ain't rich) and BS walks, you know like all doze bums in DC. Sayonara.

18. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I'm somewhat of a fan connoisseur; mainly ceiling fans, but I do like some portable fans as well. I used to collect antique fans (I currently have 4), but haven't bought any in years. The ones I really want to find are the old Patton, Air King, and Lakewood 20" High Velocity Floor models of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. If you can find them on Ebay, you can expect to pay anywhere from $110 to $300+. They had American-made motors (Dayton?) that you had to keep oiled, and they were very high quality. Hence the asking price today.

I'm also hoping to score either a Lakewood P-47, P-23, or P-25 box fan. All American-made with metal blades. The P-25 was the last American-made metal fan before Lakewood moved their manufacturing to China and made cheap plastic crap. Very rare, and very expensive if you can find them.

Currently, I have a 6-year old Air King 14" floor fan. All black, with a ball-bearing motor and 3 paddle-shaped blades. Not cheap; costed me about $80 online. They delivered a 12" by mistake, and my mother kept it and ordered a 14" for me (I paid her in full for it). The 12" has a sleeve-bearing motor, and the 14" and larger all have ball-bearing motors. The fans are also made here in America....or, at least, "assembled" in America. I can't imagine they would be this expensive if they were made in China. But nevertheless, it is excellent quality, and blows very well.

I also have a 9" HV Lakewood floor fan that I bought back in about 2003. Still runs, and it has been a great little fan. I also have a new Aerospeed box fan that I only use sparingly. Supposedly "made in America", though I doubt it.

cyberghostx13 and tuica like this.
  19. tuica

tuica

Every household has ancient appliances that refuse to die. My brother told me recently that he and his wife’s clock/radio that I gave them as a wedding present remains in great working order. That was in July of 1983.

20. mj9mm

mj9mm

i made a few fans from furnace fans, work unbelievable!

tuica and cyberghostx13 like this.