They Don't Make Electric Fans Like They Used To.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

My fan blows so much air it doesn't need to oscillate -

treg likes this.
  2. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well our dad did the same and ya know technically they were both absolutely correct. Sayonara.

railfancwb likes this.

3. cyberghostx13

Subject not worth a debate, different strokes for different folkes. Sayonara.

railfancwb likes this.
  4. Z71bill

Z71bill

My wife and I stayed at the hotel inside the Minneapolis airport - we had an early flight and it was sort of nice in the morning - no rental car to mess with, no traffic to fight. Just walk out of the room and go down to your gate.

Anyway -I think because it was so close to the runway - they must have used extra soundproofing - the rooms were so quiet --

So quiet we couldn't sleep!

I tried having the TV on - that didn't work - I tried having the AC fan on - but no matter how I set it, it kept shutting off.

Finally I Googled white noise on my phone - and found an audio of the sound of a fan blowing -

I plugged my phone in so it wouldn't run down the battery - and let it play all night.

railfancwb and cyberghostx13 like this.
  5. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Oh my god, sounds like a terrible idea. Thank god they still make most everything out of metal, like rulers , letter openers , toasters , tools , flashlights , silverware , and microwaves. Cant imagine using plastic in any useful stuff. Luckily they cant make guns out of plastic, just steel and wood as god intended. And glad cars have no plastic stuff.

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Right, I mean, plastics come from hydrocarbons, nuff said. :)

7. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

I didn't think that at the time since mom and dad had a 5000 BTU window unit in their bedroom.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  8. Sfaql

Sfaql

Not a “ fan” of them but garage sales are a great source for things like that . Scissors, garden tools and sorts of great old stuff that lasts . When we cleaned out my parents house I got all kinds of those things, two lawn sprinklers that are steel and brass, two patio chairs that were my grandparents, that after I sandblast and paint will be good for a couple more generations , the frames are what looks to be 1/4 inch thick 1 1/2 inch wide steel .

jimcorbin and cyberghostx13 like this.
  9. cyberghostx13

I have a small radio with all the stuff like am, fm, sleep, etc. It also has about 20 sound effects. I only use the "Ebb Tide" effect whenever I take an afternoon nap. I also put on a total blackout, black sleepmask. Works perfect. I use the "Ebb Tide" because it's not just soothing white noise, it's one of the very few that you can't tell when sound "Loops". Sayonara.

Z71bill likes this.
  10. cbird77

cbird77

This bad boy runs 14 hours a day, the AC only keeps it 78 inside so I crank it up to 83 and this running pointed up slightly a blanket is nessesary. I have had it for 30 years.

Edit: confirmed White Wistinghouse

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    SevenSixtyTwo and cyberghostx13 like this.
  11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

My wife has one of these going most of the time.

upload_2019-8-25_17-3-15.jpeg

12. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

A vornado on the nightstand next to my head. Going on 5 years now, no problems with it.

02F9A40E-B5A5-4AE7-AA04-4AA630B332BB.jpeg

DocCasualty and cyberghostx13 like this.
  13. jmohme

jmohme

China Doesn't Make Electric Fans Like We Used To.

flyover and cyberghostx13 like this.
  14. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Yeah, well, and to be fair ... like We used to and like the Japanese used to.

Credit where credit's due ... Japanese QC in the 60's - 80's was consistent and top notch. It's still excellent. But just like American corporations did to us, a lot of Japanese companies outsourced their work to China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, etc.

I don't blame people anywhere in the world for taking work from Magnavox, RCA, Maytag, GMC, Ford, GE, Intel, Cisco, Caterpillar, etc etc. I blame the traitors who sold out their own people. I'm sure a lot of Japanese people today are feeling the same about Sony, Honda, Panasonic, etc.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    FullClip likes this.
  15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

My cheapo Lasko box fan has been going for many years now. Just need to clean it out every year. Although the speed control knob is not working quite right but I can still get it to run.

16. jmohme

jmohme

I do not recall any great QC from Japanese products in the 60s, maybe in later years. but yes, still better than Chinese crap now.

AGF0526 and cyberghostx13 like this.
  17. prairieviper

prairieviper Legendary Lawman

We have a couple of plastic box fans that are probably 15 years old or more and they see plenty of use. On the other hand, I have a steel box fan that I use in the shop in one of our farm buildings. It also sees a lot of use and is also 15 years old or older. In fact, the steel one was purchased used from a yard sale. Go figure.

18. DonD

DonD

Have you considered a box fan designed to fill up a window and won't short out? It exhausts outward from where it's mounted. If you have some other windows open, it does a pretty good job of evacuating the existing hot air inside. Don

19. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I seem to replace my big all plastic box fans once a year. need it to sleep. sound and such. usually start shorting out around the year mark.

20. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Japanese penetration into American markets began in the 60's because of their quality. Predominantly radios and cameras and other household electronics in that period. Japanese heavy industry during that time frame was mostly a domestic affair ... they already had Shinkansen bullet trains running in 1964. Americans didn't start figuring out that Hondas and Nissans were a lot more reliable than MG's and Triumphs until the early 70's. As far as motor vehicles go, Japanese motorcycles were the foot in the door. '69 Honda CB750, etc.