They Don't Make Electric Fans Like They Used To.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ilpirata

ilpirata

I have a couple of Lasko ? 20" box fans, made in the US, that I've been using for years. Fan blade is plastic, housing is metal.

I had this old metal fan on a stand my dad bought when we were kids, late 60s or early 70s, it probably died 6-7 years ago.It had a 3 speed pushbutton switch: last use I pushed the button, I got shocked.It went to the scrap bin.

In the mid-90s it woke my then-GF and I up with a knocking noise. I found an oil tube and filled it with CLP, problem solved. GF asked what I did, I told her, she said "why do you have gun oil?" I asked her "doesn't everyone have gun oil?"

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  2. fx77

fx77 CLM

Still have a steel fan 24" made in USA which i run every nite in the bedroom since 1979. Only once a season oil the axel with 3/1 oil.

Jade Falcon and cyberghostx13 like this.

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I have a Panasonic fan from the later eighties, maybe early nineties. The fan blades are plastic and the fan is the quietest one I own. This thing moves more air (for the noise that it makes) than any other fan.
    I have two giant honewell fans that are all metal and only twenty years old that move tons of air (but these things are very heavy). Time to bring one of the honewells into the house.

August is the worst month in the Bay Area. After that, you still get into the fifties most nights. I have security doors and I typically get up around five AM and open them and kick on a couple of fans for a few hours. After that, I button the house up until it gets cooler outside (in the evening), then I open windows and start fans going again.

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

My brother and I grew up with a box fan in the window during the summers. Dad told us it was air conditioning. o_O

5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"Seeing how this is an electric fan with a steel blade and no finger guard, and could slice your fingers CLEAN OFF, you have to ask yourself one question: Are you feeling lucky, punk?"

railfancwb likes this.
  6. powernoodle

powernoodle

For 30 years I have slept with a small fan next to the bed. It muffles the sound of my night sobs.

quantico likes this.
  7. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

[​IMG]

We had one like this. My son called it the green monster. It lasted about twelve years. I thought that was a pretty good run for the money. tom. :cowboy:

8. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

China. Poor trade agreements.

mike from st pe likes this.
  9. Agonizer

Agonizer .

You beat me to it.

WeeWilly and deputy tom like this.
  10. powernoodle

powernoodle

When I was a youngling, we had a similar one. I would stick a pencil in the center of the fan while it was running to make lines on the hub. Or talk into it and let the blades chop up the sound waves. That fan still runs, and its more than 50 years old. I can still remember the droning sound it made in the summer before we got air conditioning. Good times.

railfancwb and deputy tom like this.
  11. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

Vornados are great.

DocCasualty likes this.
  12. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

That brings back some memories.

powernoodle likes this.
  13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

14. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

With one exception, we had/have the cheapo 20" box fans from Wally World or Target ($20). All last seemingly forever and serve their purpose. Can't see investing in any high end units. The more bells and whistles, the more there is to go wrong IMHO.

15. Adjuster

Adjuster

16. berto62

berto62

No, we have done it to ourselves. Through our buying habits we have told the manufacturers the only thing that matters is the absolute lowest price.

railfancwb, Jade Falcon and hannstv like this.
  17. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Home([email protected] Location since 1997). I only need the fan for like 3 weeks a year during late Aug., Sept., and Oct. So far the fan works fine and it's very quiet. I put in storage after testing and will break it out when temps are over 90 degrees.

What happens with aforementioned months is the lack of wind(Breezes) and as the temp goes up the wind speed goes to pretty much nothing and that's why I need a little fan, that and a water spray bottle which I have.

Hey, it's only 3 weeks a year(not in a row, just approx. total number of days) and nothing compared to summer heat in places like Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Arkansas, or Louisiana, and those states almost always have high humidity with that heat. Sayonara.

18. cyberghostx13

Yeah but caused by either stupid parents, stupid kids or both...kinda like Darwin's "Little League" stuff. Sayonara.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  19. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I have five of the Lasko fans, 20” Don’t use them much with new a/c. I would clean and lube them annually.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  20. cyberghostx13

Well that's all fine and dandy ifin you want a non-oscillating fan. I wanted an oscillating fan. Sayonara.