Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.38 Super to be specific. I pulled these two out of the safe and had a blast with them shooting homemade cast/powder coated ammo I make in bulk. Great guns both of them. It's hard not to ditch every handgun I own for the Sig P220-1. Dear word, it's amazing. Equally nice is the range has been declared a corona-free zone and has stayed open the entire time.

·
Florist
20,132 Posts
Very cool! Did not know Sigs made .38 Supers.

·
Combat Diver
3,514 Posts
I own the Colt as well. My first .38 Super. I heard the stories of great pressures etc. When I bought some ammo and shot it, I was surprised at the lack of recoil. A bit lack luster. maybe with some hotter ammo..... None the less, very accurate and pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
Does anyone make 38 Super ammo now or is it strictly a reloading caliber?

Notice that you're using polymer coated slugs. I have a Ruger SR1911 10mm that's less than 2 mo old and am having great success with using 155gr Missouri Bullets coated slugs. Gives considerably higher velocity than the reloading data shows.

Just ordered some 330gr 500 Mag slugs from Badman Bullets. Don

Edited to add that I answered my own question, yes there are several sources for 38 Super. Don

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Does anyone make 38 Super ammo now or is it strictly a reloading caliber?

Notice that you're using polymer coated slugs. I have a Ruger SR1911 10mm that's less than 2 mo old and am having great success with using 155gr Missouri Bullets coated slugs. Gives considerably higher velocity than the reloading data shows.

Just ordered some 330gr 500 Mag slugs from Badman Bullets. Don

Edited to add that I answered my own question, yes there are several sources for 38 Super. Don
Our local GT Distributors carries .38 Super, so I guess it’s easy enough to find. I have always made my own. Those in the photo are 125 gr. bullets I cast from wheel weights and powder coated with HF red powder.

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
Our local GT Distributors carries .38 Super, so I guess it’s easy enough to find. I have always made my own. Those in the photo are 125 gr. bullets I cast from wheel weights and powder coated with HF red powder.
When you say powder coating is that the same as polymer coating and if so, is it a complex process or something easily done in a home workshop envioronment? Don

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you say powder coating is that the same as polymer coating and if so, is it a complex process or something easily done in a home workshop envioronment? Don
It’s a very simple shake and bake method with detailed instructions spread around the internet. In a nutshell you put cast bullets in a Cool Whip tub containing airsoft BBs and Harbor Freight powder coat. Swirl the combination briefly, separate the bullets, and oven bake for fifteen minutes. Then size them, stuff them in some brass, shoot and repeat. It’s actually a fairly proficient process allowing a whole bunch of bullets to be coated quickly enough.

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
It’s a very simple shake and bake method with detailed instructions spread around the internet. In a nutshell you put cast bullets in a Cool Whip tub containing airsoft BBs and Harbor Freight powder coat. Swirl the combination briefly, separate the bullets, and oven bake for fifteen minutes. Then size them, stuff them in some brass, shoot and repeat. It’s actually a fairly proficient process allowing a whole bunch of bullets to be coated quickly enough.
Minor question. Would seem that this process would leave the base of the slug uncoated or not uniformly coated. Don

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I like the Colt and the SIG because of its uniqueness. I had a Commander in 38 I wish I still had. A Kimber I don't miss. I have a Gold Cut now in 38. I'd love a 686 Smith in 38 Super.
IMG_20190727_131619.jpg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Minor question. Would seem that this process would leave the base of the slug uncoated or not uniformly coated. Don
Actually, the base is as evenly coated as the rest. I place the bullets in a pan lined with parchment paper. This results in zero sticking, and the bullets are properly coated all over.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Hello sir, i powdercoat as well. If done correctly the entire bullet will be coated. If you go over to the castboolits site you’ll find a sub forum dedicated to coatings. Alot of very helpful folks and information there.

·
M&P
5,949 Posts
How very.....Mexican of you. I always think of .38Super for those below the border that cannot possess “military calibers”. Nice pistolas. I don’t believe I’ve ever shot the venerable .38Super. But I would if’n I could.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Scott1970, a few years ago (5 or so?) I had a sig sauer 220 normal mag release. It was made in the era yours was. That thing was accurate. The first time i shot it i was doing hand held head shots at 25 yards. You have got an awsome pistol there. Very rare too. Shoot it spareingly.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Nice.

I was at a gun show last year and saw a 220-1 in 38 Super for $600. In the box. I don't reload and don't own any Supers so I walked down the isle thinking about it. Mainly I was thinking that this was an unbelievable deal. Even if I just shot it a bit, it was a no lose bet.

I turned around, in the same isle, and headed back to buy but...you guessed it...there was another guy sitting down filling out the 4473.

They're nice guns. Congrats on yours.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scott1970, a few years ago (5 or so?) I had a sig sauer 220 normal mag release. It was made in the era yours was. That thing was accurate. The first time i shot it i was doing hand held head shots at 25 yards. You have got an awsome pistol there. Very rare too. Shoot it spareingly.
Both of these guns are remarkably accurate the same as the previous.38 Supers I’ve owned. There’s something special about it.

Nice.

I was at a gun show last year and saw a 220-1 in 38 Super for $600. In the box. I don't reload and don't own any Supers so I walked down the isle thinking about it. Mainly I was thinking that this was an unbelievable deal. Even if I just shot it a bit, it was a no lose bet.

I turned around, in the same isle, and headed back to buy but...you guessed it...there was another guy sitting down filling out the 4473.

They're nice guns. Congrats on yours.

Yeah, that was a smoking deal. I’ve been told by a co-worker they’ve brought close to two grand on Gunbroker. I don’t know if they’re that high yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts