Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > These are the three knives you need in your kitchen

These are the three knives you need in your kitchen

1. I agree with TBO on minimum knives needed. I'll stick with my Spyderco Sharp-maker for difficult to sharpen knives and a steel for touch ups. YMMV. tom. :cowboy:

ETA for really banged up edges I use a Norton two sided wet stone.

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. [​IMG].[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

6. I use a Work Sharp now and then to get them really sharp and hone in between.

7. Nobody mentioned a cleaver. I get some good use out of it. Can’t beat a razor sharp cleaver. -Many uses.

8. TBO - Your must-have kitchen knife picks are good ones, but we're eating more fruits and veggies at my house these days. Thus, the knife I reach for most is my Wusthof 'tomato knife'. I actually have 3 of these so one is clean and ready at all times. This tool makes tomato slicing/cutting a dream, and it works well for other fruits and vegetables.
    IMG_2615.JPG

9. Interesting recommendation, and available from Costco. The 'Chef's Choice' sharpener might be very helpful for most knives I use, even though I've always avoided this type of sharpener. It might not work so well on my beloved serrated 'tomato knife' blades.

The linked Costco ad includes some excellent testimonials about the strengths and limitations of this sharpening tool. I might give it a try.

10. I went with this one for it's ability to sharpen both 15 & 20 degree angle blades.

710-5VrEvWL._SL1500_.jpg

11. [​IMG]

12. Regardless of knife brand the trick is to never let them get truly dull. A leather strop w/compound will keep them razor sharp with minimal effort. A steel doesn't sharpen, it only straightens the edge.

13. GINSU Serrated for the win.

Lifetime sharpness, will cut a brick and a copper pipe and still slice a tomato, are dishwasher safe and they arrive in your mailbox.

14. But hitting them with the steel after use doesnt hurt.

15. I don’t need expensive knives. My wife uses the granite as a cutting board. :fred:

16. IMG_20180829_191959973.jpg one of my slicing and cutting blades, razor sharp

17. Most breaad comes sliced, any decent knife can do the same job, get a slicer or boning knife instead. This article is as usless as why not to buy a ford truck, the best pistols to pwm etc.. click bait.

18. And you're not divorced?

19. I'm a dinosaur, 800/6,000 grit Japanese water stone for my Japanese knives. Gotta be patient, though.

20. Well, I finally did something right in the kitchen.

21. Bread knife? Either buy slice bread or have a sharp chef's knife.

I have a chef's, utility and paring knife

22. I would add some kind of carving knife

23. I agree, those are the three basics.

Couple of my favorites :

Forschner/Victorinox
    The best mid-priced chef's knife on the market
    [​IMG]

Dexter-Russel 9" (bread, sandwiches)
    I've used it for carving poultry as well.
    The offset makes the knife comfortable to use.
    [​IMG]

24. The wife uses a bread machine.
    A bread knife is required equipment.
    A chef's knife for bread ?
    Maybe wait until it's good and stale/hard ?

25. I would agree with the article--there's virtually nothing you can't do in the kitchen with a chef's knife, paring/utility knife and a serrated bread knife.

And a good chef's knife can be had for a c note or a little less... Of course I have way too many kitchen knives costing too much to actually say that and keep a straight face...

[​IMG]

26. 4 words.... Let the beatings begin!

27. There's many MANY uses for a serrated bread knife other than cutting bread and the chef's knife is not well suited to many of them. I can bone out a deer or filet a fish fine with a good chef's knife..and slicing roasts etc with a chef's knife is easily done.

But try removing the top off a layer cake bottom half with a chef's knife and see how well it does compared to a serrated bread knife. And there are a dozen other tasks a bread knife does way better than a chef's knife including cutting bread!

28. Old Tom Veff, the knife sharpener chews me out for using a poly cutting board.
    He'd have a seizure with that granite thing !

29. Disagree. Probably the most difficult, useless knife I've ever owned.

At the same time I bought that one, I bought the 6" version of this one.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/4...+&+Tools+-+Kitchen+Cutlery&utm_content=497927

Today it looks like a filet knife, have had it longer than I have had my wife, and used it to fix the first meal I ever cooked for her. The next week she brought me home to meet her parents, and I brought my cooking utensils, and cooked for them.

At that time worked in a 5 star restaurant, and thought food prep would be my life. She wanted to let her folks know I had skills, and a goal, and would be potentially a good provider.

I owe a lot of my life to that knife, while that great big wallowing whale of a butcher knife literally could not cut it, that chef's knife got the job done.

30. My top 3, for what it is worth. These are what I use, day in and and day out.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/kai-pro-5-half-inch-asian-multi-prep-knife/?catalogId=84&sku=2297147&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Cutlery > Utility Knives

This one gets used 90% of the time. Most versatile knife in the arsenal.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...boning-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35347517.html

This has taken the place of the Old Hickory Chef's knife I have used for nearly 40 years. For pretty much any meat prep, from chicken to fish to beef to slicing my own thick cut bacon, this is what gets grabbed.

https://www.katom.com/037-47606.htm...hfwq4d9w9j5sBxLwtvfnOV30tDBAhYkwaAvYkEALw_wcB

I have probably a half dozen of these, hold a wicked edge for a long time, and for most vegetable prep takes half the time of anything else. The hooked end is just the cat's ass for a quick, clean cut.

Now, I have a drawer full, from Dexter to Chicago Cutlery to Wusthof to Victorinox to Cutco. No idea how many, have collected kitchen knives for 45 years and cannot bear to get rid of anything.

However, these are the 3 that stay in the big ceramic jar on the counter, so I can grab them without opening a drawer.

And yes, on the rare occasion I need a bread knife, have a honking big 10" Chicago Cutlery that gets the job done. The 4 times a year I use it.

32. Those are the four I use the most. And the wider the chef's knife, the better. For fine slicing, I use this one.
    s-l1600.jpg
    I use this one more for meat.

chef.jpg

bread.jpg

s-l225.jpg

I have a complete set of these Zwillig knives. Incredibly sharp and relatively easy to maintain a good edge..

33. That bread's pretty solid. Let's see the same knife cut a piece of French bread without compressing it. Big difference between the two types. That's why dedicated bread knives exist.
    My taste in knives run to the middle of the pack. Victorinox are nice but too light letting your wrist/arm doing all the work. Wustoff are nice but too heavy and expensive for what you get. I finally settled on the Mercer genesis line. Excellent steel, good heft but not heavy, grippy rubber-type handle, fairly priced. Their cheaper millennia line is akin to Victorinox with a more ergonomic handle.
    Mercer's an American company shipping German steel blanks to Taiwan for assembly and finishing. They're not well known having catered to the trade for the most part. But they're slowly making their mark. A most excellent product.

34. I have a cheapo sacrificial/decoy set for houseguests. My good knives are secreted away, snug in their own roll.

35. Japanese steel, water stones. For non-kitchen knives, diamond impregnated or oil stones. At least that's what works for me.

36. I recently sharpened my girlfriend’s kitchen knives. But I’ve also watched her cut on a granite counter, put them in the dishwasher, and use them as pry bars, so during the sharpening, I asked myself “why” several times.

37. Or...
    Edgecraft Chef's Choice 2100 /3 Stage Diamond Hone Professional Electric Knife Sharpener

fullsizeoutput_82a.jpeg

38. image.jpg