These are the three knives you need in your kitchen

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Aug 29, 2018.

1. ARFFormula

ARFFormula

IMG_20180829_191959973.jpg one of my slicing and cutting blades, razor sharp

2. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Most breaad comes sliced, any decent knife can do the same job, get a slicer or boning knife instead. This article is as usless as why not to buy a ford truck, the best pistols to pwm etc.. click bait.

3. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

And you're not divorced?

DirectDrive, OGW and FullClip like this.
  4. OGW

OGW SAF

I'm a dinosaur, 800/6,000 grit Japanese water stone for my Japanese knives. Gotta be patient, though.

5. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Well, I finally did something right in the kitchen.

TBO likes this.
  6. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Bread knife? Either buy slice bread or have a sharp chef's knife.

I have a chef's, utility and paring knife

7. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

I would add some kind of carving knife

8. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

I agree, those are the three basics.

Couple of my favorites :

Forschner/Victorinox
    The best mid-priced chef's knife on the market
    [​IMG]

Dexter-Russel 9" (bread, sandwiches)
    I've used it for carving poultry as well.
    The offset makes the knife comfortable to use.
    [​IMG]

9. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

The wife uses a bread machine.
    A bread knife is required equipment.
    A chef's knife for bread ?
    Maybe wait until it's good and stale/hard ?

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I would agree with the article--there's virtually nothing you can't do in the kitchen with a chef's knife, paring/utility knife and a serrated bread knife.

And a good chef's knife can be had for a c note or a little less... Of course I have way too many kitchen knives costing too much to actually say that and keep a straight face...

[​IMG]

SRS, g29andy, SCGlock26 and 2 others like this.
  11. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

4 words.... Let the beatings begin!

TBO likes this.
  12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

There's many MANY uses for a serrated bread knife other than cutting bread and the chef's knife is not well suited to many of them. I can bone out a deer or filet a fish fine with a good chef's knife..and slicing roasts etc with a chef's knife is easily done.

But try removing the top off a layer cake bottom half with a chef's knife and see how well it does compared to a serrated bread knife. And there are a dozen other tasks a bread knife does way better than a chef's knife including cutting bread!

DirectDrive, nitesite10mm and TBO like this.
  13. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Old Tom Veff, the knife sharpener chews me out for using a poly cutting board.
    He'd have a seizure with that granite thing !

14. plp

plp

Disagree. Probably the most difficult, useless knife I've ever owned.

At the same time I bought that one, I bought the 6" version of this one.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/4...+&+Tools+-+Kitchen+Cutlery&utm_content=497927

Today it looks like a filet knife, have had it longer than I have had my wife, and used it to fix the first meal I ever cooked for her. The next week she brought me home to meet her parents, and I brought my cooking utensils, and cooked for them.

At that time worked in a 5 star restaurant, and thought food prep would be my life. She wanted to let her folks know I had skills, and a goal, and would be potentially a good provider.

I owe a lot of my life to that knife, while that great big wallowing whale of a butcher knife literally could not cut it, that chef's knife got the job done.

TBO likes this.
  15. plp

plp

My top 3, for what it is worth. These are what I use, day in and and day out.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/kai-pro-5-half-inch-asian-multi-prep-knife/?catalogId=84&sku=2297147&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Cutlery > Utility Knives

This one gets used 90% of the time. Most versatile knife in the arsenal.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...boning-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35347517.html

This has taken the place of the Old Hickory Chef's knife I have used for nearly 40 years. For pretty much any meat prep, from chicken to fish to beef to slicing my own thick cut bacon, this is what gets grabbed.

https://www.katom.com/037-47606.htm...hfwq4d9w9j5sBxLwtvfnOV30tDBAhYkwaAvYkEALw_wcB

I have probably a half dozen of these, hold a wicked edge for a long time, and for most vegetable prep takes half the time of anything else. The hooked end is just the cat's ass for a quick, clean cut.

Now, I have a drawer full, from Dexter to Chicago Cutlery to Wusthof to Victorinox to Cutco. No idea how many, have collected kitchen knives for 45 years and cannot bear to get rid of anything.

However, these are the 3 that stay in the big ceramic jar on the counter, so I can grab them without opening a drawer.

And yes, on the rare occasion I need a bread knife, have a honking big 10" Chicago Cutlery that gets the job done. The 4 times a year I use it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    TBO likes this.
  16. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Those are the four I use the most. And the wider the chef's knife, the better. For fine slicing, I use this one.
    s-l1600.jpg
    I use this one more for meat.

chef.jpg

bread.jpg

s-l225.jpg

I have a complete set of these Zwillig knives. Incredibly sharp and relatively easy to maintain a good edge..

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Gen IV and TBO like this.
  18. tjpet

tjpet

That bread's pretty solid. Let's see the same knife cut a piece of French bread without compressing it. Big difference between the two types. That's why dedicated bread knives exist.
    My taste in knives run to the middle of the pack. Victorinox are nice but too light letting your wrist/arm doing all the work. Wustoff are nice but too heavy and expensive for what you get. I finally settled on the Mercer genesis line. Excellent steel, good heft but not heavy, grippy rubber-type handle, fairly priced. Their cheaper millennia line is akin to Victorinox with a more ergonomic handle.
    Mercer's an American company shipping German steel blanks to Taiwan for assembly and finishing. They're not well known having catered to the trade for the most part. But they're slowly making their mark. A most excellent product.

TBO likes this.
  19. g29andy

g29andy CLM

I have a cheapo sacrificial/decoy set for houseguests. My good knives are secreted away, snug in their own roll.

20. RedStateWASP

RedStateWASP

Japanese steel, water stones. For non-kitchen knives, diamond impregnated or oil stones. At least that's what works for me.