1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Why so serious?
65,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
****** Viejo
28,765 Posts
I agree with TBO on minimum knives needed. I'll stick with my Spyderco Sharp-maker for difficult to sharpen knives and a steel for touch ups. YMMV. tom. :cowboy:

ETA for really banged up edges I use a Norton two sided wet stone.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,453 Posts
Reactions: TBO

·
A swamp dude
11,023 Posts
TBO - Your must-have kitchen knife picks are good ones, but we're eating more fruits and veggies at my house these days. Thus, the knife I reach for most is my Wusthof 'tomato knife'. I actually have 3 of these so one is clean and ready at all times. This tool makes tomato slicing/cutting a dream, and it works well for other fruits and vegetables.
IMG_2615.JPG

·
A swamp dude
11,023 Posts
Interesting recommendation, and available from Costco. The 'Chef's Choice' sharpener might be very helpful for most knives I use, even though I've always avoided this type of sharpener. It might not work so well on my beloved serrated 'tomato knife' blades.

The linked Costco ad includes some excellent testimonials about the strengths and limitations of this sharpening tool. I might give it a try.

·
Why so serious?
65,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with this one for it's ability to sharpen both 15 & 20 degree angle blades.

710-5VrEvWL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Gfive45

·
Mentally Frozen
25,714 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Regardless of knife brand the trick is to never let them get truly dull. A leather strop w/compound will keep them razor sharp with minimal effort. A steel doesn't sharpen, it only straightens the edge.

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
5,739 Posts
GINSU Serrated for the win.

Lifetime sharpness, will cut a brick and a copper pipe and still slice a tomato, are dishwasher safe and they arrive in your mailbox.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Regardless of knife brand the trick is to never let them get truly dull. A leather strop w/compound will keep them razor sharp with minimal effort. A steel doesn't sharpen, it only straightens the edge.
But hitting them with the steel after use doesnt hurt.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I don’t need expensive knives. My wife uses the granite as a cutting board. :fred:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts