There's something about steel...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ScottMn, Nov 11, 2019.

1. ScottMn

ScottMn

I carry Glocks and love them but there's just something about a steel handgun that makes me smile just a little bit more. Took these to the range the other day and had forgotten how pleasant it is to shoot a big heavy gun. The SP101 isn't exactly a soft recoiling gun with full boat 357 but with 38 Special it's a powder puff of a gun. The SR1911 Commander is a completely different shooter then my Glock 30S. I know, pretty obvious but it's a lot easier to knock the center out of a bull with the 1911. Smith & Wesson victory is by far my most accurate pistol. The Burris fastfire makes it a piece of cake to hit quarters when the time comes. The plastic guns are fun 2 but Steel is just special. 20191111_182307.jpg

Attached Files:

nursetim, PatinAz, Hilux1911 and 18 others like this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Yes steel handguns are my favorite by far.

While I have some nice aluminum and polymer pistols, there’s just nothing like steel.

Bomber Nav, jame, aircarver and 2 others like this.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

Handsome assortment

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Cool background for the pic.

5. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Browning HP is still my favorite 9mm with CZ-75 second. Love my PP series Walthers. For revolvers, I hope they never make a medium or large frame polymer framed revolver.

6. 0311INF

0311INF

For some reason, despite the virtues of steel guns with nice triggers, I shoot a Glock pistol better. I can't figure out why.

7. 0311INF

0311INF

Double post

Quigley likes this.
  8. azdave

azdave

To a large degree, I think a lot of this is age based. If you're old enough to remember a time when walking into the gun store meant you could walk up to one case, and it might be filled with Colt snake guns, Such as Pythons, Diamondbacks, Anacondas, etc.... then walk to another counter and see a variety of Hi-Powers or gander at the "Made in W. Germany" Sig P220's and P226's.... then an appreciation for those larger, heavier yet finely crafted pieces of metal were born. There are plenty of "newer" steel and alloy models introduced to this day, but they will never have the classic look of just a few decades ago.

Now, its all about being the lightest or smallest with a "utilitarian" look..... and an ability to accessorize it like a Barbie doll. Of the "newer" steel and alloy models introduced these days, the SP101 and S&W 22 in your picture could very well be the 'classics' of the coming years.
    Recently, a young guy made a comment to me that "the best looking old fashion gun is the Beretta 92." But then went on to say that he would never own one because it's so "big and clunky." We went on to a great conversation about appreciating things beyond injection molded polymer:fred:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    ScotchWhisky and hogship like this.
  9. ScottMn

ScottMn

So now you're calling me old eh??? Only my knees are old, the rest of me seems to be hang'n in there so far.:cheers: I think that there's some truth in that. You learn to appreciate what you grew up with.

Believe it or not, I can shoot my 26 just about as well as the 1911 it just seems like it's a little bit easier with the larger and heavier SR1911

glock collector likes this.
  10. SK2344

SK2344

There is no doubt in my mind that as soon as I am able to scrape up the money, my next purchase will be an ALL STEEL REVOLVER. I have not decided on a brand, caliber, barrel length but I just know it will be STEEL! One other gun that I will purchase next year will be a Lever Action Carbine. Yes I am a Glock Guy but I just love Revolvers and Lever Action guns. Maybe I should have been born in the 1800's!

First shot likes this.
  11. bac1023

bac1023

I guarantee you I have plenty of steel guns you would shoot better than a Glock.

ScotchWhisky, jame and SK2344 like this.
  12. azdave

azdave

We're only as old as we feel, right?!?! The best part of my conversation with the young guy about Beretta's was my explanation that when I was in the army in the early 80's, we still had 1911's stuffed in worn out leather flap holsters..... that the Beretta was hardly "old fashioned" and is actually just now going out of service!! When I was his age, I would have said "old fashioned" was a Colt SAA or maybe a Luger. It shows exactly that what comes to mind is what you grow up with.

Even if they're easier to carry and you shoot the polymer pieces as well as the 'heavy clunkers,' they just don't make you smile inside the same way.
    Plastic has no personality.

13. SK2344

SK2344

I agree with you 100%! Those that never trained with or developed a relationship with the Revolver, have absolutely no clue what a well tuned revolver can be like! Pulling the trigger feels like pulling it through a pat of butter and that is no exaggeration!

14. 0311INF

0311INF

I don't doubt it. My experience has largely been with rifles and I really need to work on handgun skills. So my statement above is pretty light on substance.

There's one exception to the Glock, I shot a S&W Model 15-3 (or rather, it pretty much did all the work on its own, while being held by me). I could call shots with that one and surprise myself that I made it.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  15. DAKA

DAKA

It's true, I bought a Rock Island 9 mm 1911 (the least expensive one) and I am more accurate, out of the box, with it than anything else...Glock, Springfield, Smith....mid and compacts.
    However at 43 oz,(2 1/2 + #) it gets heavy after about 50 rounds...

16. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I went through a phase like that years ago. I believe it was a slight, consistent flinch with revolvers in SA and 1911s.
    With my Glock 34's rolling trigger pull, flincing was less likely as the exact moment of release is far less predictable .These days I can shoot any gun up to 45 auto or 357 without flinching, allowing me to take advantage of crisp triggers. Now I shoot more accurately with revolvers, 1911s and my USP than I did with the G34.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  17. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

18. bac1023

bac1023

Those are very accurate revolvers.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  19. pgg00

pgg00

20. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

Steel is the top level.