close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

There sure seems to be many potentially rare Glocks lately.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cbsaf, Feb 17, 2010.

1. cbsaf

cbsaf

I just can't help but notice over the past year or two that the potential for a rare and desireable glock seems to be a certainty over the next few decades.

There have always been relatively scarce models. True 1st gen G19, two pin G22, and 2nd gen G32 models. Lately though there has been a ton of new potentially rare glocks.

G21SF Ambi Pic rail
    G21SF Ambi
    G21SF
    G21SF RTF2 (Did these ever have fish gill slides?)
    G17, 22, 19, and 23 RTF2 with fish gill slide (already discontinued)
    G17, 22, 19, and 23 RTF2 without fish gill slide

Technically these are all 3rd Gen guns. Will the 4th gen make them all be discontinued? Will we eventually see the RTF texture on a 4th Gen? When the 4th Gen G21 arrives with the reversable mag release will the Ambi G21 be dead?

Anyone else pondering these things?

2. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

You forgot my G32 RTF2. Not many of these out there but I like mine

3. Judgemax

Judgemax

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

This is just my opinion. Only my opinion. I don't know anyone at Glock and can barely find Georgia on a map. But seeing some of the threads here complaining about them for this or that. I wouldn't be surprised if the design gets scrapped.

Most won't want them for CCW because of them tearing up clothes. Most Officers/depts won't want them at least not long because uniforms are expensive.

Like I said only my opinion but I don't see much future for them based on that. I could be wrong but....I really just don't see it.

5. boomhower

boomhower

For patrol it's a none issue for most. With every duty holster I have seen the weapon will never touch the uniform, mine doesn't even get in the ballpark. For detectives I could see it but not uniformed patrol. Personally I love it. Knowing that I am going to have a good grip whether out in the rain, snow etc. is more than worth from a safety standpoint.

6. david8613

david8613

i would like to see a fished gilled rtf2 glock with 4th gen internals and features...

7. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

I had the chance to pick up a very early 2nd Gen G19 yesterday. New in the box, complete with everything, DZ series serial number.

I may still buy it. I didn't jump at it yesterday, because since it had never sold, the gun shop owner told me to "make him an offer".

At the time, I was thinking, "Well, that doesn't exactly fit into my 'full size only' plan," but now I'm thinking that I should try to buy it. I made no offer since that may be difficult to get cheaply without insulting the man.

The "rarest Glock" I own other wise is the very early 2nd Gen G22 with the original style NY "springless" trigger spring. Still in its original "9x19 Para" Tupperware too.

8. cbsaf

cbsaf

Well, I think as soon as the 4th Gen G21 emerges with the new switchable mag release the Ambi model will be phased out. Are distributers still receiving the Ambi model or are the ones out there for sale new old stock?

Also, I can't see Glock completely discontinuing the Gen 3 frame. What happens when a customers Gen 1, 2, or 3 gun's frame gets damaged? Their original slide won't work on a Gen 4 frame. Parts won't interchange. Would they just replace the whole gun? Maybe the replacement would have to be a 3rd gen RTF frame if they are still making them.

9. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

You raise an interesting point.

They certainly can't start replacing every Gen 1, 2, or 3 model simply because some part that is no longer made has become un-serviceable. I'd rather keep my old models than "trade up" to the most recent model. Besides, I buy the older models whenever possible; I don't want new Glocks.

10. cbsaf

cbsaf

Exactly. The 3rd gen frame molding machines need to stay around in a business sense. The frame is much cheaper than a slide. If an officer messes up his 1st through 3rd gen gun then it isn't ecomomically sensible to replace the gun with a 4th gen. The 3rd gen slide doesn't have enough material to be machined to 4th gen specs.

There will either always be 3rd gen parts production or our warranties were just thrown in the garbage.

11. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

This has always been my number 1 concern with the Gen 4s.

If your 2nd gen frame breaks, you get upgraded to a 3rd gen.

If they quit making 3rd gen frames and it breaks, it appears we are going to be SOL.

12. AustinTx

AustinTx

Glock has already spent the money to tool up and manufacture several configurations of their pistol, to build guns to test on the public, looks like. I can't see Glock just scrapping current tooling because they are selling a different gun. Someone mentioned replacement parts, there's always a market for them. I will predict that Glock will be able to furnish anything we may need to keep our current Glocks running.

Remember Glock already has all the tooling for current and gen 4 guns paid for.