Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Unmasked
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There It Is: CDC Equates Coronavirus Hospitalizations to Seasonal Flu and Finally Admits It’s MUCH LESS Dangerous for Children

30 million Americans are currently unemployed due to the crisis and the number is growing each week.

Now this…

On Friday the CDC equated the Wuhan coronavirus to the seasonal flu.

The COVID-19 hospitalization rates are “similar to” those in the 65 and older category during “recent high severity influenza seasons.”

And the COVID-19 hospitalizations for children 17 and under is MUCH LOWER than the seasonal flu hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.

The COVID-19 is LESS DANGEROUS to children than a typical influenza!

And just think — We destroyed out economy for this!

— Andrew Bostom (@andrewbostom) May 2, 2020

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ingButtons&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
all politicians make policy on absolutes
They think their policy will result in zero deaths
That's like saying to remove all risk from driving, no motor vehicle fatalities, then no one should drive more than 10 mph...but that is not the case...
If we save just one life..blah blah blah
it is always an actuarial issue balancing risk and reward,

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
"We" didn't destroy our economy. Democrat governors throughout the US destroyed the economy with quarantines and forced shutdowns.

Highest economic growth rate
Lowest unemployment
Lowest ever black unemployment
Negotiating new favorable trade deals
Incredibly large campaign rallys
Soaring stock market
And on and on . Something needed to shut this down or the democraps wouldn't have a chance in November. Bam! Every death is now covid19.

The defense rests.....

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
No one has destroyed the economy. I don't understand the panic of those who cannot see that the economy will rebound as soon as things open up again.

You think the money supply dried up?

You think that the demand for products will suddenly go away?

When the stock market roars past the highs of the last 12 months, will you be surprised? Will you come back here and say that you were wrong by crying that the economy was totally destroyed?

You guys crying wolf over the state of the economy are worse than those who this the Wuhan virus is the end of the world.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
No one has destroyed the economy. I don't understand the panic of those who cannot see that the economy will rebound as soon as things open up again.

When the stock market roars past the highs of the last 12 months, will you be surprised? Will you come back here and say that you were wrong by crying that the economy was totally destroyed?

You guys crying wolf over the state of the economy are worse than those who this the Wuhan virus is the end of the world.
Don't know where you live but here in PA I know first hand of several businesses that are closing their doors permanently. It's terrible what our governor has done, for no reason other than what I've already stated.

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts

I am not crying, but I don't blame those who lost their jobs for crying. I guess they should just man up and tell their kids that scared people felt like it was a small price to pay.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts

Hope you’re correct, but I’m about as hopeful as all those bombshell indictments coming...

Lots of small businesses will stay closed forever. That means lots of unemployed folks. Lots of unemployed folks = less demand for products. Less demand = layoffs. Layoffs = uncertainty = less spending just in case = less demand for product = layoffs = ad nauseum. Add $4 trillion in new debt and it’s not that good a picture.

The economy will recover, but not overnight. FedGov needs to go after any company that breakers the terms of the deals for free $$. And go after them with blow torches and pliers. It will be a bumpy ride for the next 6 months easy most likely a year or so. If DJT looses in November it will be a bumpy ride for at least 4 years depending on what happens in Congress and in the states.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,063 Posts

Absolutely.

This place has the biggest display of people that have no confidence in our country that I have ever seen. They presume we are economically ruined. They claim that a job will never be replaced. They whine rather than focus on getting going again. They focus on blame rather than solution.

I’ve even seen a dismissive post that this bug will only take out the weak in our society.

I humbly submit that it will also remove the weaker and more poorly run businesses, opening up opportunity for others.

We’re starting to open up, so let’s get rolling and stop complaining.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

I know over 3000 people that would disagree with you. Maybe 30 million more. My family is out a lot of money due to pay cuts and travel costs that we will not have refunded due to “force majeure” clauses in travel insurance. But I am sure that will all be recovered and it will be like this never happened. The trillions in new government debt will be paid off in a couple of months.

This reminds me of an old joke. “Do you know the difference between a recession and a depression? A recession is when the other guy is out of work, a depression is when you are out of work”.

The economic impact did not have to be as bad as it is.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
What's a few Trillion amongst friends?

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
506 Posts
There It Is: CDC Equates Coronavirus Hospitalizations to Seasonal Flu and Finally Admits It’s MUCH LESS Dangerous for Children

30 million Americans are currently unemployed due to the crisis and the number is growing each week.

Now this…

On Friday the CDC equated the Wuhan coronavirus to the seasonal flu.

The COVID-19 hospitalization rates are “similar to” those in the 65 and older category during “recent high severity influenza seasons.”

And the COVID-19 hospitalizations for children 17 and under is MUCH LOWER than the seasonal flu hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.

The COVID-19 is LESS DANGEROUS to children than a typical influenza!

And just think — We destroyed out economy for this!

— Andrew Bostom (@andrewbostom) May 2, 2020

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ingButtons&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

So your position I'm assuming is that covid-19 is basically no worse then the season flu and you have posted this article in order to confirm that belief. You realize thats not what is says? Im happy kids dont die from it or need to go to the hospital, that does not mean they can't it and spread it to other. I dont think anyone really knows at this point what the mortality rate is for covid-19 and much less the long term effects it will have on some of those who get it.

but there seems to be a lot of people dying from it. I know some people will dispute that claim, but look at historic death rates and compare them to the last several weeks. they seem higher across the board, these are total death reported not accounting for cause of death. I personally think those types of number are useful and i suspect many death causing events will prove to be much lower since the lock down yet the total deaths are up. I dont like what taken place I also want the government to stay out of most things. Im conflicted as a lawyer when i read about things being done because i see both sides. one day maybe we will know what the correct choice was.

I want things to open up and for people to go back to work, but i also understand that as powerful and smart as we are, if this virus can spread as fast as it appears it can and kill at even a much lower rate then the reported number is the entire country could have been crippled in a way that would have been much harder to come back from. we still have working supply line, power to homes, police and fire services and hospitals. had those broken i believe a recovery would have been much harder. I realize that provides little to no comfort to those out of work or soon to be.

·
Registered
32,353 Posts
What's a few Trillion amongst friends?
A trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon we’re talking about real money. Just have the mint press a few hundred trillion dollar gold coins.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts

Don't know where you live but here in PA I know first hand of several businesses that are closing their doors permanently. It's terrible what our governor has done, for no reason other than what I've already stated.
Where does he live? Dimwitt lives in a bubble. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is going to pop it.

·
NRA Life Member
5,026 Posts
Our governor is a MF...... He shut down the state with only cases in certain areas. I was out and about yesterday and it seemed like a normal Sat but with everyone wearing masks...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
A trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon we’re talking about real money. Just have the mint press a few hundred trillion dollar gold coins.

I just take a sharpie and add zeros to all my dollars.

Seriously though, they have been talking about trillion dollar platinum coins. But if it's not a trillion dollars worth of platinum, isn't it just another fiat? And if it really was a trillion, it'd take a crane to lift it. Makes no sense either way.

Reactions: mj9mm and nursetim

·
NRA Life Member
66,538 Posts
The best thing about Glock Talk is that we have a whole crew of hysterical grandmas who desperately cling to their end of the world scenario, so that when anybody posts some good news it can be put to the test. In this case I actually looked at the CDC page and it has lots of good news. At the risk of making the hysterics cry, it is here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...CBKJokyo632dhgUqBWopNVgY8I8cSYY-L5jzpj9U_TQy4

Nationally, levels of influenza-like illness (ILI) declined again this week. They have been below the national baseline for two weeks but remain elevated in the northeastern and northwestern part of the country.

For people 65 years and older, current COVID-19 hospitalization rates are similar to those observed during comparable time points* during recent high severity influenza seasons.

For children (0-17 years), COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than influenza hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.

·
NRA Life Member
66,538 Posts
So COVID is having a similar impact as high severity influenza seasons even with an unprecedented plan to minimize the spread. Guess that proves it is pretty bad.
Yes, compared to something we treat as being about as serious as the chickenpox every year, this is more serious.

eyerollsmaller.png

It is probably more serious because it seems to be easier to catch, but I am confident that a year or so from now we will all know it is no more likely, or barely more likely to kill you than the seasonal flu that we ignore every year.

In the meantime, it will not kill a single person who was otherwise going to live forever. In the big picture, we're lucky it's killing people, which are cheap and easy to make and we have way too many of anyhow, instead of killing cattle or chickens. In a world where the root of nearly all of our problems is overpopulation, we're going to need a lot more than this even in the short run.

How many people knew that it took humans about 200,000 years (depending on where you start with "humans") to reach a population of 1 billion? Then it took 123 years to reach 2 billion. Then it took 33 years to reach 3 billion. Then it took 14 years to reach 4 billion, 13 years to reach 5 billion, 12 years to reach 6 billion, etc. People dying is not the problem we should be worried about - worry about people living too long and being born, if you want a doomsday scenario.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts