close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

There is no hope for America

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goldenlight, Apr 18, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight

I took my elderly Mother to a doctor appointment today, and to a couple of stores.

At one place, my Mother bought something that cost $11.03, and handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then she said: 'wait a minute, I have some change', and set $1.03 in change on the counter.

The woman COULD NOT figure out how much change to give my Mother. She was doing.... something.... behind the cash register for a LONG time, and my Mother finally said: 'you should give me $10 in change'.

More ...stuff... going on behind the register. The woman finally handed my Mother $9.03. She actually picked up the 3 pennies off the counter, and handed them BACK to my Mother.

This wasn't an illegal immigrant, or even a legal immigrant. This was a mid to late 20's year old American woman.

There is NO HOPE for America. :faint:

2. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

It's sad but the unfortunate reality of the era we live in. If a computer or I-phone app doesn't do it for them, then there are many that are lost these days.

Sad.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

3. nmk

nmk

Someone in her "mid to late 20's" should have learned this long ago. You can't blame Iphone apps for everything.

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Say what you like, but this is a management problem.

5. hammerkill

hammerkill

I picked up the neighbor kid from high school recently and the place looked like a freak show. He said they get classes on puting a condom on a banana. There is a nursery for unwed mothers and drugs are sold in class. The kid lived less than a mile away but it was "too far" for him to walk. Pathetic. We are doomed.

6. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

"I was told there'd be no math."

7. Steve0853

Steve0853

"WE'RE" not doomed. Some people are.

At some point, other people's money will run out. The one's who are too stupid or lazy to live simply won't.

8. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

You take what the register says to give as change and add to it the extra handed to you, and you have the new change amount. Very simple.

Oh, and this isn't a new problem, been dealing with thisfor 15 years. And not to sound sexist but its almost always women that can't figure it out.

9. treeline

treeline

If they did a better job of teaching proper condom usage they might have fewer unwed mothers.

I agree with teaching high school kids how a condom is properly used. It's applied human biology and part of a science curriculum, not some inappropriate lesson in lovemaking.

10. droidfire

droidfire

I'm not sure what's worse - reading the OP as an actual account of an experience or finding myself completely unsurprised by it?

11. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Never fear, on some Justin Beiber forum there is a woman complaining about those dinosaur old crones who insist on using cash instead of credit cards.

12. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Had a woman flip on the manager, she said she thought she was charged twice and demanded money back. Manager checked our accounts, she paid once, asked if she had checked a bank statement, she said she didn't know how so she came in to flip on us first.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Yet the same cashier believes she DESERVES $20/hr for her high level of skill...

-Dana

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

At least she has a job.

Some folks are like barnacles --

Every ship has a few barnacles - they hook themselves onto the ship and it takes extra energy for the ship to move ahead - they are a "drag" - they are getting a free ride.

If you let the barnacles get really thick the ship can't go anywhere - it can barely move - it becomes dead in the water.

The choice - is to chop the barnacles off the ship or allow the ship to sink.

Some days I think our government officials think feeding & caring for the barnacles is the reason they were elected -

They say - Look at all the good we have done - look at how much better off the barnacles are since we came into office.

15. Jefs

Jefs CLM

Ripe pickings for a quick-change artist.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

It's funny how variable the human condition is-. A couple of years ago some friend's daughter was given a "0" and accused of cheating on an algebra quiz, threatened with expulsion etc. All because she didn't show her work, only the answers.

The dad demands a meeting with the teacher and the principal. Teachers says kid didn't show her work and that there is no way the kid solved these problems in her head - there was no stated requirement to show any work BTW. Kid butts in and says I do these kinds of problems in my head all the time. Teacher calls BS kid, who is very cocky in a good sort of way, says give me a problem right now. The teacher thinks about, writes down a problem on a sheet of paper. Kid looks at it for 10 seconds or so and scribbles something on her hand. Then solves the problem BACKWARDS on the sheet of paper, think about that for a second, only then showing the teacher the answer she had written on her hand.

Shortly after the kid moved on to a local private high school she is now a 20yo Sr. at a top notch university out west.

Another point is that we are smarter than our parents and so on. IQ tests have to be re-centered every so often because the mean score drifts upwards.

Sorry for the typos I forgot my glasses

17. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I honestly think the cashier may have been slow because she was concerned about getting it right. From this vantage point, it seems so simple, but under pressure it can be hard to be fast and accurate. I use to work for a busy gas station and you had to manage all the pumps and give refunds (pre-payed cash) and some people would try to scam you. I would often use a calculator on certain things just to make sure my drawer ended up correct after hundreds of transactions.

I know this example is trivial, and it's easy to be cynical, but give people a break every now and again. I'm sure she can probably add and just had a brain fart.

18. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Most everyone underestimates those factors for sure.

19. goatranch

goatranch

I was somewhere the other day and a young women could not figure 30% off of $58.00 for me. I said do you have a calculator...she said yes. I said enter $58.00 and hit minus enter 30 and the percent sign and equal. she still could not do it. :wow::faint:

20. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Wouldn't 58 * .7 be easier?