Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
GET A ROPE!
37,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... and I just heard them both on the TV within five minutes of one another.
:fist:

To whom it may concern: There is no such thing as a 'new beginning.' A beginning, by nature, is the initial event of a unique sequence that has not existed before. All beginnings, by definiton, are 'new.' A beginning cannot be 'old.' :upeyes:

The word 'free' is commonly used as a verb (Free the sheep!) or an adjective (It didn't cost anything. It was free,) or on occasion, an adverb (The sheep ran free) though I suggest the proper use as an adverb should be 'freely.'

The word 'for' is a preposition. The object of a preposition is commonly a noun, pronoun or gerund. The object of a prepostion is NOT an adjective! thus, the oft-heard phrase, "I got that for free," is not only gramaticlaly wrong, but it grates on the refined ear like a Bronx accent. :upeyes:

Substitute any other adjective, such as 'It got it for red,' or "I'm offering this for soft,' to note how absurd the phrase, 'for free' is.

:upeyes: :sigh:

Okay, I'm done. :supergrin:

·
GET A ROPE!
37,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one of my rare, lucid moments and decided to note it for posterity before I went back into the fog again.

·
It can be done
7,603 Posts
This is a new beginning in our understanding of tous and he offered it for free.

Mr. HE:cool:

·
Southern Lady
14,751 Posts
... and I just heard them both on the TV within five minutes of one another.
:fist :

To whom it may concern: There is no such thing as a 'new beginning.' A beginning, by nature, is the initial event of a unique sequence that has not existed before. All beginnings, by definiton, are 'new.' A beginning cannot be 'old.' :upeyes :

The word 'free' is commonly used as a verb (Free the sheep!) or an adjective (It didn't cost anything. It was free,) or on occasion, an adverb (The sheep ran free) though I suggest the proper use as an adverb should be 'freely.'

The word 'for' is a preposition. The object of a preposition is commonly a noun, pronoun or gerund. The object of a prepostion is NOT an adjective! thus, the oft-heard phrase, "I got that for free," is not only gramaticlaly wrong, but it grates on the refined ear like a Bronx accent. : upeyes:

Substitute any other adjective, such as 'It got it for red,' or "I'm offering this for soft,' to note how absurd the phrase, 'for free' is.

:upeyes: :sigh :

Okay, I'm done. :supergrin:
My advise to you is stay out of public schools. It will drive you crazy.

This year my "teaching" has been expanded to teaching a "science lab" to
4th and 5th graders. Getting them to answer their questions as complete sentences is physically draining.....:faint:

I'm also working with 4th graders on a writing assignment using Microsoft Word. I really am feeling stressed out this year! :scared:

I repeat, stay out of the public schools! :upeyes:

·
Photojournalist
583 Posts
Grammar and correct sentence structure has apparently been replaced with technical courses in rapping...at least in the areas I have visited.

My pet peeves are "redouble" and "irregardless".

There are more, but I have go and wash my keyboard off just for typing those useless words....:whistling:

·
It can be done
7,603 Posts
Don't encourage him or he'll be just like Dinky. :alex:

You have scarred me strait, irregardless of your low estimation of my future, I have purposed to start a new beginning, and redouble my effort to improvise myself, based on the advice you offered, perhaps unwittingly, for free.

·
It can be done
7,603 Posts
If hat don't make daddy dinky proud, I'll just have to wear a holy cow hat. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.