There are many broke GLOCKS at GSSF events.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NCHeel, Apr 18, 2012.

1. NCHeel

NCHeel

Was at the LGS today getting some new Blackhawk knee pads for a rifle course I am doing Saturday. Guy behind the counter is telling 2 guys that GLOCKS are not as reliable as everyone believes.

What do I care but then he says he shoots GSSF and at every event there will be 4 armorers there and all the do is fix malfunctioning guns as quickly as they can. I had to butt in and say that the armorers will go through the guns and replace any worn parts with new so that is why so many people line up. He say no, these are weapons that malfunctioned while on the firing line and have to be fixed before the the competitor can refire.

Another employee asks him is this because people do so many modifications to them. I say no, because GSSF is stock pistols and GLOCK armorers will only work on stock pistols. Other counter guy says modified pistols compete. I say in unlimited only and GSSF events are lucky if they have 10-20 entries in unlimited. I then walk off.

After he is done with the 2 guys he tracks me down. Wants to know if I shoot GSSF and if I am going to Morganton this weekend. I tell him I have a rifle class to do on Saturday and it is suppose to rain all day so it depends on how I feel after it before I decide on Morganton on Sunday.

2. rooster626

rooster626

Ive only been to 2 events and in those 2 events (vegas and norco) i only saw 1 armorer and did not see many people lining up to have their guns checked at. and in regards to people modifying their guns, i met a couple of guys in norco who said they have aftermarket parts on their guns and they were competing in AmCiv.. lets not kid ourselves not everyone is honest and in the 2 matches i was in i didnt see anyone checking people's guns for aftermarket parts. kinda hard to tell since most of the stuff you can get is going to be internal

those are just 2 events i dont know about the rest but unless those people at the counter were actually there at the matches its quite hard to believe what they are saying. but yea like i said ive only been to 2 matches so people who have more experience correct me if im wrong

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

4. PM720

PM720

Most of the issues I have heard of have been ammo related, mostly doing with poor quality reloads. Speaking for me personally, my .45's have run flawlessly, my .40 has had some FTF issues that I have traced to weak mag springs and 1 FTE in several thousand rounds. My G19 has had 1 FTF in several thousand rounds. I am VERY pleased with my Glocks.

Scott

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I've been to 16 matches. I think I've seen at MOST two armorers ever, but won't swear about Conyers. I can't recall ever seeing anyone breaking down on the line, although one guy had a squib load that had to be hammered out.

Yeah, I think I call B.S. on this one too.

Which gun store you in... Hyatt's?

6. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

:wavey:Winner post!:cool:

7. NCHeel

NCHeel

No, it was Allen Arms in Greenville SC. I wish I knew his name, he is also a firearms instructor there. Said he is going to Morganton on Sunday. Almost makes me have to go to point at all the people lined up to get their pistols repaired.

8. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I don't keep a close count, but when you RO for 2 full days at every match, you see 2 or 3 malfunctioning guns on the line in the the course of the weekend match that can't be attributed to ammo (and several more that can be blamed on ammo).

No way of knowing what internal parts may have been modified on these guns, but I've sent more than a few people in the last couple of years to the armorer with malfs not ammo related. Limp wristing is another common problem causing malfuntions, but I can often spot that. Technically, that's not a gun issue, it's a shooter issue.

9. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

How ironic... We are usually lined up at each GSSF stage waiting to shoot and discussing the stupid things gun store employees keep spewing as gospel.

10. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

Based on my somewhat limited experience running the "Side Match" at the Griffin Match both of the last two years, I get the impression that Gen3 and earlier Glocks generally run GREAT--except for the aforementioned RELOADED AMMO problems--but that there ARE some Gen4's that are, well...PROBLEMATIC as far as reliable functioning goes...NOMEX Clothing ON... :) ....mikey357

11. harleytech

harleytech

Yup...! That's all that is...I don't listen...:yawn:

12. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

He must be Kimber FanBoy!! Now there's a malfunctioning gun.:burn::burn: Flame Suit on!!!

13. HarveyatPC

HarveyatPC

I have a laze friend that shoot with me, 2 matches per year. He run to the armorer and get them to clean the pistol before he starts. I have brought friend pistols for repair, but it's something they done! Also my brother-in-law had FTF with two 10 round mags, the armorer was out of springs and gave him new 17 round mags - same brother to win two random Glock chances. Lucky SOB.
    Harv

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Holy crap, that guy's an idiot. I ROed a major GSSF match for several years - never saw a broken Glock. Like you said, people line up for the inspection and free parts - even people who aren't shooting the match. I did not see the 2 or 3 non-ammo related malfunctioning guns SARDG says he saw.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

SARDG says he saw.

16. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Maybe she has better eyes. :) :courtsie:

17. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

WOW every match, I never knew!:supergrin:

18. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

That explains the large roll-back dumpster next to the armorer's work station. By the end of the match it is filled with defective Glocks.:rofl:

I've been shooting GSSF since May 1999 and have seen few pistol failures:

1. Squib load lodged in barrel
    2. Malfunctioning G36 because owner installed an extended slide stop lever that will not work with a G36
    3. G33 Kaboom with gun show reloads

19. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Only problems I have had with my glocks at matches:

Clinton 10 round mag: Loaded 11 by mistake, gun jammed.

Glock 39 and WWB, gun wouldn't feed the 230 grain WWB at all.

The GSSF armorers have always been very good representatives of Glock and the benefit they provide is worth every penny of GSSF membership.

Had a Glock 30 kaboom at the Richmond Match and as the shooter walked by with his cut hand he stated: "I knew I should not have used lead reloads". That said it all!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  20. stak

stak

This is the kind of thing that people may see from a distance or hear about...
    ...but they don't get this part...