Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see company policies changing regarding sick leave.

Hopefully, when we return to some level of normalcy, we’ll no longer be receiving a smack down for calling in sick, and that would make me happy.

Not much pisses me off more than having a coworker show up when he’s green around the gills.

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts
My company is really good about people being sick. Good employees know when to call in sick.
Bad, lazy, worthless people abuse it.
They could come in and give everyone an extra month of sick leave today and my whole team could tell you who will not use an extra day and who will take a whole extra month, before it happens.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,164 Posts
Many of my coworkers only got sick on Friday or Monday.
I was likely contagious one time but felt well enough to work at home. My boss denied that request.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Mentally Frozen
28,590 Posts
Sick leave is for going fishing.

some think that way.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I see my company changing to "sick, stay home, were're not going to pay you". 1/3 the company was furloughed with no pay or severance and I've been cut to 21 hours a week and can't use earned time to bring it up to 40. They are not making friends.

Reactions: nursetim

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Our dept has always had a policy that if you are sick, you cannot come in. If you infect the first responders, there isn’t anyone responding to emergencies. So we had out sick time liberally, allow shift trades outside of the pay period and extend sick leave if needed.

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts
Over the last 15 years I have been in the same line of work but in three different employment scenarios regarding sick time, working while sick, etc.

I was self employed and part of the ownership, we worked as scheduled unless sick enough to be physically unable to work. My partners (2) and I had a vested interest in getting work done. If one of the non ownership employees called in we didn’t say anything openly, but certainly did behind closed doors. That was how I thought all managers, owners, whatever thought about people calling in and missing work. Very immature of me and my partners...we didn’t have the experience to know how to treat people and operated with a high level of fear and paranoia. Exhausting.

When that ended I went to the largest company in my field and assumed a position doing about 1/8 the actual work I was doing previously...and wasn’t risking any of my own money to do it. I was there 7 years and never took a sick day because I was never sick. It was like a vacation. The company had strict rules about staying home if you did not feel well. They were very vocal from top to bottom and I witnessed people getting sent home because they were suffering from allergies and sneezed a few too many times. What was crazy (to me) was that nobody said anything negative if someone was sent home or called in...not a word. The culture was 100% different with no stigma for calling in or leaving early. I thought people would take advantage, but they didn’t. Shocking.

I left there and am now in a start up division of an established company in the industry. The attitude is more old school and since everyone’s compensation is driven by an aggressive bonus structure (to promote ownership of your work and motivate you to succeed) it is known that missing work does, in fact, cost YOU money. The official company line regarding calling in or leaving when sick is that you should do that...but the underlying “but you know what that will cost you” is always there. December, January and February had people showing up sick and passing it around like crazy... it was going on until it became really obvious that it was a bad idea. We had people in my small department that missed over a week and in one case 3 weeks because they got sick, likely from being exposed to whatever by sick coworkers, then took it home and got their family sick. The guy who was out 3 weeks was a victim of COVID timing...he was out for most of a week when our corporate HR determined that he HAD to get a CV19 test to come back negative before he could return. He managed to get a test administered in a week but it took over a week to get results back...

Had we not encouraged people to work when sick the amount of work missed would almost surely be lower and the number of people getting sick would very likely be lower as well. I hope we keep the new policies that CV19 forced us to adopt.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I hope companies will allow more work from home if the position can be performed remotely. I am fortunate that my employer has always been very accommodating allowing people to work full time from home.

Reactions: n2g

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts
I hope companies will allow more work from home if the position can be performed remotely. I am fortunate that my employer has always been very accommodating allowing people to work full time from home.
That has opened many eyes in many companies. My work buddies wife had been asking to work remote for years at her job and was repeatedly told there was no way she could do it...too many tech and logistical challenges and her work quality would suffer etc... Well, turns out she was made to work from home. She solved her tech issues on day one and has produced more than she does working in the office.

Her bosses conceded that she will be able to continue working from home going forward and will only be required to be in the office one day a week for meetings etc.

Some people are better suited than others to work from home but it makes sense to offer that as an option.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,704 Posts
I don't see ours changing. We get five days annually. Once that's used up you dig into your vacation time. Once vacation is used up you go onto short term disability and 2/3s pay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts