Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say theoretical, because no one would be dumb enough to leave the house knowing they were going to have to draw from CC position to defend themselves from an armed confrontation. But if you did, would you carry the pocket pistol that you often carry comfortably, or your Glock 43? How about your Glock 19, which is a popular EDC gun? And would you carry that extra magazine that you really never carry? Because of an earlier Post that I contributed to, I started thinking about this and decided that I would probably tough it out all day with my 5" bbl 1911 in .45 acp. I have carried this well concealed but not all that comfortably. Taught a class at the Police Academy while carrying thusly, and no one had the slightest idea I was carrying until the end of the class when I showed them my IWB set up. And of course, probably 2 extra magazines, which I carried as a cop but never do as a civilian. So every day that I leave my house carrying I am violating all my laws of self defense, and really gambling that I won't need my gun. Probably not the smartest thing, but practical from the aspect of what I WILL do and carry, not what I should if circumstances allowed. I had one cop tell me that he carried this little .380 because it was comfortable and a gun that he would carry, not should carry.

·
Super Moderator
18,751 Posts
I've been carrying my duty gun off-duty for a long, long time. I'm probably miserable, but not knowing I'm supposed to be, I'm comfortable that way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I say theoretical, because no one would be dumb enough to leave the house knowing they were going to have to draw from CC position to defend themselves from an armed confrontation. But if you did, would you carry the pocket pistol that you often carry comfortably, or your Glock 43? How about your Glock 19, which is a popular EDC gun? And would you carry that extra magazine that you really never carry?
If I've to leave a house knowing that there's a high possibility of armed confrontation yet had to CCW, I'll be wearing concealable armor and bringing an SBR or AR pistol in a shoulder bag. If rifle is not an option, an MCK with G17 inside will do in a pinch. A handgun will not be my first choice in this kind of situation.

·
Private side
11,584 Posts
I say theoretical, because no one would be dumb enough to leave the house knowing they were going to have to draw from CC position to defend themselves from an armed confrontation. But if you did, would you carry the pocket pistol that you often carry comfortably, or your Glock 43? How about your Glock 19, which is a popular EDC gun? And would you carry that extra magazine that you really never carry? Because of an earlier Post that I contributed to, I started thinking about this and decided that I would probably tough it out all day with my 5" bbl 1911 in .45 acp. I have carried this well concealed but not all that comfortably. Taught a class at the Police Academy while carrying thusly, and no one had the slightest idea I was carrying until the end of the class when I showed them my IWB set up. And of course, probably 2 extra magazines, which I carried as a cop but never do as a civilian. So every day that I leave my house carrying I am violating all my laws of self defense, and really gambling that I won't need my gun. Probably not the smartest thing, but practical from the aspect of what I WILL do and carry, not what I should if circumstances allowed. I had one cop tell me that he carried this little .380 because it was comfortable and a gun that he would carry, not should carry.
My 43 IS a pocket gun… hell, sometimes my 43X is a pocket gun. Mostly I OWB a 43X or a SIG 938 and an extra mag.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
well sure... this is Glock Talk, a gun forum. plenty of sub-forums to choose from...
Yeah, but we keep doing this one; it's like folks either don't see all the multipage threads already out there or they want to re argue the same ones over again; pretty soon someone will come along and talk about how most gunfights are only 2 .3 rounds and then someone else will talk about how they don't carry chambered and then someone else will say they carry a .45 becuase it won 2 world wars and they don't make a .46 and then 2 or 3 people will talk about how if you shoot someone you will be immediately arrested and prosecuted and then Fred from Cali will chime in about how cops can't shoot and that only he understands what it takes, and then someone else will bring up James Yeager, and someone else will mention abortion, and then the whole thing will go off the rails, just like it always does....

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Yeah, but we keep doing this one; it's like folks either don't see all the multipage threads already out there or they want to re argue the same ones over again; pretty soon someone will come along and talk about how most gunfights are only 2 .3 rounds and then someone else will talk about how they don't carry chambered and then someone else will say they carry a .45 becuase it won 2 world wars and they don't make a .46 and then 2 or 3 people will talk about how if you shoot someone you will be immediately arrested and prosecuted and then Fred from Cali will chime in about how cops can't shoot and that only he understands what it takes, and then someone else will bring up James Yeager, and someone else will mention abortion, and then the whole thing will go off the rails, just like it always does....
Yup... just like that...

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,616 Posts
Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown. - YouTube

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,616 Posts
You know, I just watched that again the other night, classic.....
One of my all time favorites. The Two Jakes is good too. I'm a big film noir fan. Humphry Bogart is one of my favorite actors. I even named my dog Bogie. At the vet the girls that work there always say, "Mr. Bogart is so Hannnndsome" in a beautiful Southern accent. I get a kick out of that, and they know it, which makes it even more fun. Bogie still has to be muzzled when he visits the vet though. Those broads don't fool him one bit.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
One of my all time favorites. The Two Jakes is good too. I'm a big film noir fan. Humphry Bogart is one of my favorite actors. I even named my dog Bogie. At the vet the girls that work there always say, "Mr. Bogart is so Hannnndsome" in a beautiful Southern accent. I get a kick out of that, and they know it, which makes it even more fun. Bogie still has to be muzzled when he visits the vet though. Those broads don't fool him one bit.
If you like film noir, check out a movie called " Twilight" ( no, not glitter vampires) made in the 90's, with Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, James Garner and a bunch of other people; very classic detective type mystery, first person narratives by the main character, femme fatale, the whole thing....

·
Registered
30,102 Posts
This is one of those perennial question to which Yes, No & Maybe can all be "the answer", depending on the day someone is asked. ;)

Carrying a handgun is always going to be a few steps down the path of having to compromise.

Back when I was working, I always knew I could encounter a situation where an OIS was possible, likely and perhaps even unavoidable. That was par for going to work. The duty handgun was never my "first choice" if I thought I had the warning and time to get out a long gun. The handgun was just "better than nothing".

Sure, we can debate and chew the fat discussing shades of the "handgun compromise" in which we might find ourselves. Make/model, caliber, capacity and whatnot. But it was still only a handgun.

Off-duty? For many years I carried either my issued .357MAG 4" revolver, or a 2 3/4" or 4" .357MAG of my own, or a Commander. Extra speedloaders and magazines, too.

That changed over time, for various reasons, including immersing myself in more training once I became a fledgling firearms instructor. The size, caliber and capacity of the off-duty weapon took on a bit less importance compared to learning to be able actually shoot and "fight with it", if need be. Whatever it might be. I started to adopt some calibers I'd previously shunned ... like .38SPL, .380ACP and 9mm.

Then they told me to turn in my issued .357 and carry a hi-cap 9mm.:eek:

The world didn't end, and I put more emphasis on training/drilling and trigger time than obsessing over the make/model/caliber of the gun.

Then they let me choose .45ACP and .40S&W. Yawn.

Now, to look at this another way, the ONLY reason I carry a retirement weapon is being concerned I might need it. The "thrill" of being lawfully armed as a young cop disappeared a long, long time ago. It became something I did for work, and then in case I needed it off-duty. Nowadays, since I'm not ever going to need to invoke my former peace officer status and intervene in something, it's just in case I might need it for defense as a retired cop.

That said, no matter whether I choose a 5-shot .38SPLsnub, a LCP .380 or one of my various 9, .40, .45 or .357MAG wheelguns, I think about how I may have to fight with it. No matter the size/caliber or capacity. (I don't carry a .44MAG wheelgun anymore, except to the occasional range session.)

Bottom line? Instead of me going out to suspected or known trouble, or being dispatched to suspected or reported hot/in-progress violent crimes ... nowadays violence is going to have to work at finding me and cornering me.

I give thought to my daily risk assessment, and consider any known current activities or problems in the places and areas when I engage in my retirement activities. The size and nature of the gun is just one factor, and not the most significant one. The years of hard-earned training and experience are what occupy my mind the most.

Gear is gear. Doesn't serve much purpose to obsess or fret about its nuances. It's not going to use itself, you know. ;)

Too bad we don't live close enough to enjoy this discussion over a cigar or two. We could even adopt opposing viewpoints to argue, and then switch to each argue the other side. :)

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
If I've to leave a house knowing that there's a high possibility of armed confrontation yet had to CCW, I'll be wearing concealable armor and bringing an SBR or AR pistol in a shoulder bag. If rifle is not an option, an MCK with G17 inside will do in a pinch. A handgun will not be my first choice in this kind of situation.
Yeah, if I know I'm getting into a gun fight, I'll wear a trench coat in 110 degree weather to conceal that AR pistol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, if I know I'm getting into a gun fight, I'll wear a trench coat in 110 degree weather to conceal that AR pistol.
Did you miss the part about shoulder bag? There are plenty on the market that are specifically designed for SBRs; better yet, one could repurpose pretty much any inconspicuously looking bag, pack or case.

But you do you, by all means, wear a trench coat.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,135 Posts
And would you carry that extra magazine that you really never carry?
I read the OP here as well as your OP in the other thread you mentioned. One of the things that came to mind was the average of shots fired per gun fight. Now this stat will change depending on who correlates the data. But it's normally a fairly low average. Let's say the average is 3 or 4 rounds. The thing to remember is that since this is an average, there were gun fights that had a lower number and gun fights that had higher. And there will always be outliers in either direction. Which means there were gun fights that were 1-round fired or double digit rounds fired. Since we don't know which incident may present itself it's best, imo, to prepare for as many possibilities as is realistically possible.

I've mentioned before that I took a combat course through our agency a couple of years before I retired. It was strictly off-duty carry pistols using scenarios that had actually occurred to real Officers/Deputies/Troopers/Agents while off duty from around the country. One thing became readily apparent, capacity can and does matter. As a result, our agency 'strenuously encouraged' all Deputies to care a spare mag off-duty regardless of what their off-duty weapon was. I had already been doing this for years prior to the class but it was a good reinforcement.

As such, the Sig P365XL w/12-round mag and a spare 15-round mag are the standard. I don't find it an inconvenience or uncomfortable to carry a spare mag and too be honest I forget I'm carrying it. But it's there should I need it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts