Theoretical hunter vs. real world pragmatic hunting.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by davethehiker, Dec 16, 2019.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

As I mentioned before, I have been very ill and weak as I recover from chemotherapy that was no longer working. Today I started a new drug that that is in pill from that may reduce my cancer burden. I try to stay optimistic.

The one thing I enjoy when I feel up to it is taking a short walk on my trail in the woods. Yesterday I was able to walk further than I have in the recent past. I walked almost a mile and made a complete loop. I stopped to rest at a halfway point at a corner of my property line where I frequently see deer off in the distance on the abandoned farm that adjoins my property. My wife accompanies me on these hike and has her cell phone in case I get in trouble. I only stood there for a few minutes when I spotted two white tail deer bounding across the pasture in the distance. I pointed out the deer to wife but she could not see them. It then became clear to me that my idea of shooting a deer from that distance from where I was standing was a complete fantasy. The deer are over 300 yards away and running. It would be complete luck if I made that shot and it I could not be assured of a clean kill. Next hunting season, assuming these new pills work and I'm still around, I follow the lead of my farmer buddy and let him teach me how to harvest a deer.

BTW, I feel better today than I have for a long time. Getting out in the woods is a great tonic for me.

Jack Ryan, pAZ Ron, clancy and 3 others like this.
  2. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Oh good lord. Just go hunting. Don't overthink it. I killed my first deer at 14 yrs old using a 12 gauge pump shotgun with 28 inch modified choke barrel, bead sight and slugs at about 30 yards. These days non-hunters obsess about the perfect broadside shot and not taking shots on game at anything other than a perfectly still deer. Poppycock! Where I grew up you were expected to take shots on game at any and all angles including shots on running game. There IS a proper hold on a deer at any angle for a humane kill. I've probably taken one from most of those angles and I've shot a lot of driven large game on hunts here and in Europe. It not hard if you know your way around a rifle and have done some practical position shooting other than off a stupid bench rest. Hell in Germany we had to shoot a running boar moving target at 100 meters and hit in the kill zone with 3 of 5 shots offhand or they wouldn't issue you a hunting license. Its not that hard and anyone can do it with a little practice and coaching. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

3. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

All true and agree with everything you are saying. But he is just starting. And none of us did all that you described on day 1. Let him walk before he runs and that is all any of us providing input for him to accomplish to have a fun hunt, be successful, and avoid crippling a deer and ruin the experience for him.

4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

If they are too far, then tomorrow you move your walk to where it intersects their same path at half that distance.

Hunting is hunting and the plan is the plan, cancer got nothing to do with it.

davethehiker and pAZ Ron like this.
  5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I get all that. But today we tend to overthink something that is really quite simple. And the only way you will ever be a hunter is to get off the couch and go hunting. If you aren't comfortable with a shot--don't take it. Not any harder than that.

davethehiker likes this.
  6. papershoot

papershoot

Dave,
    I wish you the best with your health issues. Practice shooting at 50 to 100 yards, depending on your property. You need to be able to hit a paper plate size target. Deer will run after being hit with a lethal shot. It may run a few or over 100 yards. I wait 1/2 hour after taking a shot. This gives a deer time to bleed out and die.
    Be sure to hunt with an expanding bullet, not full metal jacket. A bullet placed in the pink area of the image below, will kill a deer. Have a plan for getting the deer out of the woods and to a processor or gutting and cleaning it yourself.

[​IMG]

Tvov and davethehiker like this.