Theme related/novelty firearms

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Mar 8, 2017.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Mas

There have been a lot of theme related firearms or novelty related designs recently, such as green firearms or blood spattered versions for zombies, Super hero designs (particularly, the vigilante superhero, The Punisher), and even a cerakote style mimicking a Nintendo gun controller. Not to mention these being misconstrued by a child to be a toy, I have another big question.

Can These can be called into question regarding the types of outrageous designs if used in a Self defense shooting? Is it best to stay as close to stock as possible?

Does the context change for home defense versus self defense outside of the home?

Rick

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

The firearm equivalent of a "fantasy sword" is not going to fit the image of a responsible, serious firearms owner that your defense team is trying to get across to the jury.

A simple firearm in a color other than black or silver, on the other hand, may not be a problem. The one case I've done with one of those, a raspberry colored Ruger .380, the appearance of the firearm never became an issue. Mitch Vilos, the noted gun case attorney and author, told me he carried a pastel pistol for what I consider a very good reason. He had seen multiple false allegations of a client pointing a gun at someone, as I have. His strategy if that crap is ever pulled on him will be to tell the officers, "Ask the complainant to describe the gun." It's going to be most unlikely that the person falsifying the claim will correctly guess the color.
    best,
    Mas

janice6 and CDR_Glock like this.

3. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Mas

Thanks. That's a very interesting point about pastel color guns.

Rick