The XFL Thread

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mac66, Feb 10, 2020.

1. shadowlands

shadowlands

Go Roughnecks!!! My oldest boy kept running upstairs to tell me "Daddy, the Texans scored!!" I told him this isn't the Texans, it's a different league. Later he runs up again "Daddy, the Texans scored again!". Son, it's the Roughnecks, not the Texans. Oh, ok.... He comes running up later, "Daddy, the Rednecks just scored!!". Oh boy...

NoChaser, Hartford and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

LOL

I have to admit though when I see the Roughneck's helmets the first thing I think of is the Houston Oilers, Bum Phillips and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    IamtheNRA likes this.

3. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

XFL is fun to watch. I'm sure they will get better. If I understand correctly the teams have only been together for about 5 weeks noe(post week 2 of the season). The AAF started playing better toward the middle of their fist incomplete season. Maybe the XFL will stick around a little longer, and show some better play. It already seems better put together than the last attempt outside the NFL, so maybe it can hang.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  4. shadowlands

shadowlands

Anyone remember the USFL? Down here we had the Houston Gambler's with Jim Kelly.

cbetts1 and railfancwb like this.
  5. mac66

There are a lot of former NFL players in the XFL. There are also a lot of good, former college players who never got a shot or played on NFL practice teams. This gives them valuable game time and a chance to show their stuff in real games and gain experience.

The XFL seems like it will become a minor league of the NFL and a place where they can draw talent from. I think it could work this time.

6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

A few will make it to the NFL next season, probably not many.

Interestingly, even if an NFL team did want to sign one now it would be prohibited. Not sure this matters much but if they want to be an NFL “minor league” they will probably need to develop a better relationship. I hope the XFL guys making minimum salary (likely most of them) have better medical plan than that other league that folded mid season leaving the players screwed.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/xfl-blocks-nfl-contract-offers

"Once a player signs a contract — once he passes his physical and signs a contract — then he's under contract with us," Luck told the Tampa Bay Times. "We won't release that player to the NFL until after our season. We need certainty. We can't just have guys peeling off."

At the time, Luck said the XFL had already rebuffed overtures from the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers to the Roughnecks’ Walker and Dallas Renegades quarterback Landry Jones.

7. railfancwb

railfancwb

What happened to arena football?

8. railfancwb

railfancwb

One of the many tries by Memphis to get a top drawer pro football team. Think Hershel Walker was in that league after college.

9. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Now THAT'S a blast from the past!

shadowlands likes this.
  10. mac66

It lasted for 25+ years and lost it's TV contract then failed.

I went to an Arena football game once. It was a lot of fun, pretty fast paced. That team was sold, then came back to the other side of the state under another new name and eventually folded.

11. mac66

I assume XFL players have contracts which prevents them from leaving mid season. I also assumed that many players are trying to get to or get back to the NFL so one season contracts are the norm. And don't forget that the XFL is over before the NFL starts up and the players will be in shape having just come off the XFL season. That gives them time to try out for NFL teams.

12. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I didn't watch, but I will. Hope it catches on and becomes profitable.
    The talent level should be pretty decent, lots of D1 talent to choose from, even if the NFL takes the cream of the crop first every year.

13. uofaengr

uofaengr

I've seen a few minutes here and there, and my takeaways were get the media out of the locker room at halftime (I'd hate that as a player), and this is why I don't care to watch minor league baseball. If I don't have a team I care about, then I want to see top tier talent play each other. I know I'm not getting that so I just don't care that much.

Also, some people may want football year round, but I kinda like when it's over. Lets me miss it for awhile and have half my weekend back to do other stuff. I really only care about college and not so much NFL.

14. mac66

It is rather annoying to have cameras in the dressing rooms and even interviewing the players during the game. They look perturbed but then again, they knew coming in that interviews would be allowed.

I do find it amusing that the coaches continue to hide their mouths when talking even though they are on an open mic.

15. mac66

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Hartford likes this.
  16. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I liked the games and enjoy having football after the Super Bowl.

The new kickoff technique is a bit strange, but it's entertaining and interesting.

Not knowing any of the players or the coaches is unsettling.

Hearing the plays being called is interesting.

Flash

Speleothem likes this.
  17. mac66

Well, DC tanked this week, beaten by LA who hadn't won a game. Obviously anything can happen in this league.

18. mac66

Anybody still watching?

I watched the NY game yesterday and there was hardly anybody there. It's the dead of winter in NY, go figure. Who thought having a team play outside in a northern climate was a good idea?

The St. Louis game was rockin'. Obviously St. Louis fans are hungry for football and they show it. 25,000+ turned out to watch them beat Seattle.

And my son stopped by while I was watching. He doesn't watch TV and so was asking about the rules. When I showed him how they do kickoffs he made the point that if you can't start until the receiver catches the ball why kick off at all? Why don't you just give the receiver the ball on the 10 yard line and then blow the whistle to start the run back. He's got a point.

czsmithGT likes this.
  19. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I saw some of the NY game. None of these teams have any business playing in a 70,000 seat stadium. That was a knock on NY from the start. Of course the crowd would have looked sparse if they had been in a 5,000 seat high school stadium yesterday. I do like the faster pace of the XFL games, and elimination of the kickoffs altogether would be a good idea.

mac66 likes this.
  20. mac66

I suppose there's always the possibility of a fumble on the kick off reception. I think that's already happened, so there's that.