The worst panic yet....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Folsom_Prison, Jul 4, 2020.

1. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I just talked three seperate people at the pool ( with proper social distancing) today where I’m on vacation. All three never owned a gun before and are talking about buying one.

Now that I can shoot again, I’m going to have to change my shooting habits for this scare. 9mm is too hard to get practice ammo for right now. Most of my shooting will have to be the other calibers I have in stock and save the 9mm for maintaining skill rather than for fun .

Folsom_Prison likes this.
  2. DonD

DonD

The basic point I was trying to make was that unless you had a generous source of free lead, commercial bullet casting material I saw was $20, probably underestimating shipping cost so for a 124gr 9mm, that's 7 cents per slug, 4 cents for the primer and a couple cents for powder, so 13 cents minimum not counting lubricating material, minimal cost. A lot more than <5 cents.

If you buy commercial FMJ 9mm slugs, you're hard pressed to reload 9mm for what you could by commercial ammo for at Walmart prior to the recent panic situation.

Most of us don't have access to some lead giveaway. Don

flyover likes this.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Looking at ammo seek I think 9mm prices are going to exceed 45. Hell i’ve found 10mm cheaper!

cbetts1 likes this.
  4. yep380

yep380

Don,

I’m assuming you’re being sincere here and not a troll.

Lead isn’t $20 (for what quantity?). You can BUY it any metal yard for less than a $1 a pound. I’ve bought it, and can continue to buy it for $.30 a pound. That’s not free, but it’s cheap. Even at $1 a pound, 1000 124gr bullets can be cast for just over $18. I (and many others) use powder coating for lube. Powder Coating is so cheap its cost is inconsequential. A pound of powder coat is $7 at harbor freight. I’ve seen estimates of 4K to 10k bullets per pound of powder coat.

I (and many others) are in fact making complete cartridges for <= 5 cents a round. It’s not uncommon, it just takes some pre-planning, time, and legwork. Part of the fun of reloading is being on the lookout for deals on components and having the cash to jump on ‘em when they come up.

FWIW, cheap 9mm ammo at Walmart (when they sold it), was $8-$10 per 50. Guess what? I bought it. Although I could reload for less, the time trade off made it worth it to stock up on commercial ammo. I still stocked up lead and other components whenever I could.

Von Hayes likes this.
  5. DonD

DonD

Whatever I am, I'm not a troll.

I Googled bullet casting metal and it was $18 for 5# plus shipping. Re <5 cents a round with primers currently costing 4+ cents counting tax (if you're lucky to find them) not too likely.

You're fortunate to to have some economical sources, I don't think most of us do and if you have to drive around a lot, you'd have to amortize those costs into what you pay per round. Don

yep380 likes this.
  6. yep380

yep380

My apologies for the troll comment.

FWIW this guy sells lead at about the cheapest you’ll find online: https://store.kensbrass.com/products/1-slash-2lb-lead-ingots $90 for 60# delivered. Of course it’s out of stock right now.

Lead is best sourced locally as it’s costly to ship. Yes, it’s more work/time and that indirectly means money. I hit the metal recycle occasionally when out and about. There are many other sources of lead, and you might be surprised to find something nearby. The hunt for lead is part of the fun and when I find a few hundred pounds for nothing or next to nothing, it makes it worthwhile. There is a lot of info online about finding surplus lead.

You are correct about the current cost of primers. Those are one of those things that you have to buy in a price dip and stock up on. I saw them a couple years ago at a gun show for $15 per 1k - shoulda bought ‘em but had already spent my funds for the day.

7. DonD

DonD

No problem with the comment, the internet doesn't allow you to easily determine if a comment was mild or intended to be snarky.

You seem to be using the sourcing and casting as a challenge or part of the overall process of an enjoyable hobby. That's great.

I reload for the satisfaction of doing something I can't buy in many cases, the variety I can have as well as cost benefits which can be very signficant with some calibers. Don

yep380 likes this.
  8. Bav_ZedHP

Bav_ZedHP

2020: The perfect storm.

Covid hitting suppliers, enforced stay-at-home orders, BLM creating protests/riots/defunding LE, and an election year. All combined have really increased demand for ammo and guns. Bad time to buy ammo, but the silver lining is that it might be a good time to buy stock in publicly traded gun companies... I know I did, and have done fairly well so far!

9. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Unless you're Remington. Apparently they can't make a profit under the best of market conditions.

NewWaveGuy, pjanthony and billy_56081 like this.
  10. MercuryHayze

MercuryHayze

We'll see how the manufacturers respond. This is as bad if not worse than 2008, and it took years to pull out of that. I'm investing in magazines at the moment, as it's hard to know how many primers are too many?? But generally, if you're trying to buy anything right now, you've missed the boat by quite a ways.
    ETA: Having lived through the 94 AWB, just looking at $22 OEM Glock 17 magazines, and remembering when they were $125 if you could find them. It won't last.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  11. yep380

yep380

In my opinion, you can't have too many primers. In fact, if I find a deal on primers, I will break out the plastic to stock up.

12. J_Rico

J_Rico

Have not paid a lot of attention. When the panic started I just stopped shopping.

Did some looking at my usual online stores. Yep looks grim.

Here's hoping President Trump wins in November and maybe by Jan we can start rebuilding our stashes.

billy_56081 and awildmanwith1 like this.
  13. flyover

flyover

You are lucky, a couple of the scrap yards around here will not sell scrap lead or wheel weights.

14. awildmanwith1

awildmanwith1

hard to believe this was only last November. The wife and co-workers called me crazy I spent over 2k when Walmart was clearancing out all their evil ammo. From the photo below some of the deals were unreal.
    Brass 9 mm at $4 a box
    40 s&w for $5 a box and same for 45 ACP.
    And the good stuff Federal Hydra-Shock
    In 9 40 and 45 for 2.50 a box......

Figured I purchased enough for myself so I won't have to go ammo hunting for years.

IMG_20191210_163747366.jpg

cbetts1, NewWaveGuy and Folsom_Prison like this.
  15. J_Rico

J_Rico

It was sad that WM made a poor decision, but it was a great sale. Bought a few thousand 223, 9mm and 380..

16. MajorD

MajorD

Regarding reloading and bullet costs, some points to consider:
    Agree if you use a fmj 9mm bullet you are talking about 9cents each, so a reload would only be a few cents per round cheaper than pre panic factory.
    Most reloaders are very frugal. You don’t buy primers at 35/1k every month. You buy 20k with a volume discount that brings cost down to under 2.5 cents each
    Powder is not bought at 30 bucks a pound every month, but in 8 pound or larger lots bring powder down to 18 bucks a pound.
    For bullets, when I still casted my own, I went to the gun club and dug 50 pounds of lead out of the backstop for free. Bullet cost was close to zero, except for a couple 3 dollar sticks of lube for the lube and size process.
    So with careful purchasing and elbow grease a 5cents per round 9mm reload is possible.
    Even using a commercial cast bullet I am running about 11 cents each.

billy_56081 and pairof44sp like this.
  17. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Th
    12-13 cents for 44 here.

Can you give more info on the backstop lead scrounging? Did you need to be a good friend of the owner? Is it as much work as it sounds like to turn lead-y dirt into cast bullets?

18. yep380

yep380

You dig out bullets from the backstop/berm, not dirt. There are a few utube vids on it.

pairof44sp likes this.
  19. Scott1970

Scott1970

I can make cast ammo so cheap folks don’t believe me. I acquired buckets and buckets of free brass at work, and I was given many buckets of free wheel weights over the years. I’m still using primers and powder I bought pre-Obama and were bought in bulk.

Something is off if homemade cast ammo is costing around a nickel a round.

billy_56081 likes this.
  20. Generalmgr

Generalmgr

Anyone else see the irony in the availability of 45 GAP right now? Oodles of it in stock, at close to normal prices, on target sports. Go figure... wasn’t too long ago it was the expensive and hard to find caliber! Glad I picked up that cheap but like new G37 PD trade-in a couple years ago.