The worst panic yet....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Folsom_Prison, Jul 4, 2020.

1. MajorD

MajorD

While I do believe being a reloader is somewhat of a hedge against supply shortages, even there you have to buy and think ahead.
    Over the last 30 years or so there have been about 5 times primers and powder supplies got really scarce.
    When ammo companies ramp up production of factory ammo, the supply of primers especially available for reloading takes a big hit.
    While I can make do with lots of different powders ( in a pinch in revolver calibers like 38 special and 45 colt I can even run black powder or substitutes like pyrotechnics) and bullets from various sources never seem to dry up ( and firing up a casting pot and melting lead solves that issue anyway) primers are the critical item.

yep380 likes this.
  2. J_Rico

J_Rico

From one perspective I see the empty shelves as a good thing.

We have a bunch of new gun owners. Some will still vote Dem, but some of them may have seen the light. Perhaps we have some people that will take a look at the riots pushed by the left and LEO constrained by the left and decide it is against their self interest to vote for those that will disarm them.

Folsom_Prison likes this.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

You would hope some of them would have a ahhhhhh moment and see the damn light finally. Maybe not but one could only hope. Just hope all these newbs get some kind of training, there’s a influx of idiots out there with new hardware.

4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Fingers crossed

J_Rico likes this.
  5. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

6. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

A friend that owns a gun shop said that a distributor that he usually buys 50-60 handguns per week from had 57 total handguns in stock this week. Things are definitely tough here. I am more into revolvers myself so I was ok for awhile but now even they are gone.

Bus007, Folsom_Prison and Deputydave like this.
  7. DonD

DonD

Come on this is nonsense. Primers are 5 cents, powder a few cents. Unless you have a buddy in a tire store, wheel weights are not available at fair prices and casting lead is expensive. A $10 caliper isn't worth having. Less than 5 cents a round, not in this universe. Don

megawatt likes this.
  8. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Yep, pretty much everything is flying off the shelf right now.

9. yep380

yep380

I’m prepared for the possibility there is NO ammo to buy.

Yes, I could run out of components (primers and powder), but, that will be quite a ways out for me.

10. The Father

The Father

ain't nothing out there except high end AR's

B C and Folsom_Prison like this.
  11. yep380

yep380

Not nonsense.

The last primers I bought were $22 a box of 1000, powder $22 a pound and the last lead I bought was $.30 a pound at the metal recovery yard. I also picked up a bunch of lead for free (old roofing flashing).

You do the math.

12. Eagle54

Eagle54

Its times like these I remind friends/family who laughed at me when Federal had those rebates a few years ago...and I told them to max them out. I was told I was crazy or "out of control". If I remember it was something like $40/case off all handgun except 9mm (9mm was $20/case). Max rebate was $400. And on the rifle ammo it was $50/case (max rebate $500). The 22LR was good too...you could get a case of 5000 CCI Mini Mag after rebate for like $175 to your door.

It amazes me people cant plan ahead for this kind of stuff, and its a 4 year cycle but made worse this year by Corona Virus. Nothing more...

13. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I just talked three seperate people at the pool ( with proper social distancing) today where I’m on vacation. All three never owned a gun before and are talking about buying one.

Now that I can shoot again, I’m going to have to change my shooting habits for this scare. 9mm is too hard to get practice ammo for right now. Most of my shooting will have to be the other calibers I have in stock and save the 9mm for skill practice rather than for fun. 38 has been more available as well as 40 cal from shelves I have seen .

14. DonD

DonD

Yeah, right, you got stuff years ago at prices long, long ago. What's the quality of the metal recovery place? More for free, these are NOT commercial prices. High quality commercial slugs for a 357 or 10mm are more like 11-12cents ea.

Another I load cheaply, my buddy gave me 200# of wheel weights. VERY few of this are in that situation. High quality ammo for my 500 Mag is close to 50 cents ea. Don

15. The Father

The Father

guess if I wanna shoot a bunch at the range, I will have to dig deep down into the ammo storage to get the steel cased 9mm I have in the cans. Save the brass for later.
    For the rifle it can be the 5.45 that I have a crap ton of and save the 5.56

16. yep380

yep380

Very few reloaders? All the ones I know have stockpiles that would qualify for an episode of hoarders.

I bought the primers a couple years ago. Cabelas was selling S&B primers at $22 per 1k. Yes, I stocked up. You can research it, or not. Even so, I can get them at $40 per 1k now.

The quality of the lead from the metal recycle? It’s lead, you melt it down and it’s as good as new. The reason I got into casting was to avoid buying bullets, which are the most expensive component. I get approx 55 124gr 9mm bullets per pound of lead. Even if I bought lead at $1 a pound, it would cost under $19 for 1000 bullets.

No offense man, but you’re coming off a little chippy. I’m not here to argue with you, just putting the numbers out there. If I can get my costs down, pretty much anyone can. A bit of planning and legwork goes a long way.

17. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Grab a gun must pull some weight, was just on there and they seem to have the most stuff in stock firearm wise that I’ve seen looking around.

Deputydave likes this.
  18. Pluto57

Pluto57

I'm prepared for the possibility there is no ammo to buy as well. Yes, I could run out of ammo but that will be quite a ways out for me.

yep380 and billy_56081 like this.
  19. flyover

flyover

I have a local tire place that I have bought tires from and received a couple buckets of wheel weights from them. Spend several hundred getting a tractor tire fixed, a couple of buckets of wheel weights. It happens if you are in the right place and involved with the right people.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    DonD and yep380 like this.
  20. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

I did that two weeks ago. Dug out the Tula steel case .357mag ammo that I got many years ago. Hate that stuff in my revolver, goes bang just fine just not smooth extraction. Spent the day blowing thru that ammo.

Next is the low recoil 12ga 00 buck. Benelli M2 can’t cycle that stuff so time to break out the coach gun and another gas gun got to chew up 200 shells for a fun day.