The worst panic yet....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Folsom_Prison, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I’ve grown up around guns since I was yay tall. Got my first 22 when I was probably 12 or 13. Bought my first handgun when I turned 21 and have been in and out of it since.

We’ve seen panics before in the last ten years. Sandy hook, elections and the list could go on. The 22 shortage a few years back or so.

I got back into the gun thing again the last couple months, fine time to pick apparently. This has to be the worst panic too date I’ve ever seen.

Trying to find a case of 9mm or 45 today has been a wild ride. 9mm brass has generally been the same price as 45 stuff I’ve found. Best deal I found on a case of 9mm through ammo seek was some Blazer brass iirc for 260$ in stock. Click the link for Natchez, yep in stock! Grab my card and go to put it in the cart within 30 seconds.... sold out! Had the same thing happen with a case of PMC elsewhere.

My buddy has a Dillion press and I haven’t even dove into looking for supply’s to roll my own, I’m afraid too now.

Got a email notification for a glock back in stock the other day on grab a gun. Time stamp on the email to when I saw it was about fifteen minutes.... sold out!

I think the rest of the year now is FUBAR, after that could still be questionable. Maybe when the smoke clears the used market will be flooded from all the first timers that felt the need to arm up and feel safe again.

Maybe I’m all wrong but this has a uncertain feeling this time. If you find something you wanted you probably should snatch it up. I’ve been finding mags in stock, probably a good tome to grab some extras of those since you can’t get much else.

2. NewYorker

NewYorker

Best thing I did in the last 12 months was build my AR pistols. Im glad I did not wait any longer (did it in December).

Its not looking good.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I hear ya, AR’s aren’t my favorite thing. Have one I built about five years ago and put together another lower a couple years ago. Few months back I was looking at palmetto uppers and thought I really should grab one and finish that damn thing. I didn’t but have been kicking myself since over that.

B C and NewYorker like this.
  4. B C

B C

PSA had uppers for like $180 and I didn't buy. They went up to $210 and I said I'd wait until they want back down to $180 again. They didn't go back down to $180. :(

5. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

You guys slept through your economics classes in college? Slept through college altogether?

The gun companies are having a banner year. Gun sales are breaking all records. New gun buyers are flooding into gun stores after awakening out of their complacent slumber.

New gun buyers, do what? They buy ammo. They're buying ammo. Ammo manufacturers are having a banner year.

As we speak, gun manufacturers are ramping up to get product out to meet the demand. Ditto ammo companies.

Be patient. It'll calm down.

I have a business degree with an accounting major. I only say that because in 2011 I had an assignment to review any major corporation's 10K statement. I chose Smith and Wesson.

I analyzed their balance sheets from 2006 through 2010. A good barometer of a corporation's liquidity is Cash and Cash Equivalents. In 2006, S&W C&CE totaled $731,000. That’s not good for a corporation the size of S&W.

Heading into the election in 2007, (the panic was already starting) and their C&CE jumped to $4,065,000. In 2008 it increased to $4,359,000.

Get this, in 2009, C&CE skyrocketed to $39,822,000. That's a monster increase. That figure remained roughly the same for 2010.

Smith and Wesson executives actually admitted that the improvement in their financial position was 100% attributable to Obama. (S&W 10K report of 2011, page 20, item 1A filed on 6/30/2011).

[Begin quote]
    “Political and other factors also can affect our performance. For example, we experienced strong consumer demand for our handguns and modern sporting rifle products beginning in our third fiscal quarter ended January 31, 2009, following a new administration taking office in Washington, D.C., speculation surrounding increased gun control…….” [End quote]

O'Bummer left office and things calmed down and next we knew? Gun companies are in trouble again and there's a glut of used guns on the market once new buyers realized they had overpaid.

Be patient. It'll calm down.

Here's an article about Ruger and Smith and Wesson having a good year.

https://www.newsmax.com/t/finance/a...firearms&year=2020&month=07&date=02&id=975338

6. NewYorker

NewYorker

I did a year of college and said no. Im a numbers kind of guy but the whole office thing isnt me.

That is an insane increase for S&W. Who knew Democrats were the best gun salesmen?

I hope we get back soon. I want to buy guns for the sake of buying guns.

tuica and Folsom_Prison like this.
  7. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Wjen was that? Last I saw them they were about 300 at best with a bolt.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Always hated math and numbers, tried college it wasn’t my thing.

I am smart enough to know I’ve seen more stuff out of stock now than ever before. Hell even most of your medium and larger frame revolvers this time, never thought I’d see that.

Want ammo? Hope you like Steele cased stuff that cost pre panic brass prices. Find a good deal on brass and I’ll bet money you get beat somehow.

End of the day some CEO’s are laughing all the way to the bank.

Doc Holliday, tuica and NewYorker like this.
  9. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

Feb 1, I ordered a AR15 pistol for under $500.
    .308 ammo for my AK at $.30 per round delivered (today it’s $.49 each)
    7.62x39 ammo at $.19 per round delivered (today it’s .29 each)
    9mm ball ammo at $.19 Per round delivered (today it’s nonexistent)

just bonkers at the increases if you can even find it available.

Folsom_Prison and NewYorker like this.
  10. Intolerant

Intolerant

And it was all caused by BLM. Will these companies that got rich in the last 4 months send a thank you card to BLM?

If you think its rough right now... hang in there...
    November 2020 thru January 2021 is gonna be a real bumpy ride.

nrajeff, tuica, jr24 and 2 others like this.
  11. B C

B C

$180 was like a year ago. $210 was around Christmas.

Joshhtn, Folsom_Prison and Intolerant like this.
  12. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I think the Rona started it, the BLM was just the icing on the cake.

13. seamaster

seamaster

My local FFL’s tell me this year has been the busiest they have ever experienced.

Their racks are empty and gums get sold before they hit the display case.

Folsom_Prison likes this.
  14. Intolerant

Intolerant

But what about their teef... :dunno::laughing:

Generalmgr, kiser64, tuica and 7 others like this.
  15. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I’ve been looking for a set of Magpul MBUS but I’m having difficulty locating it. Seems the entire AR accessory market has been hit quite hard as well.

NewWaveGuy and Folsom_Prison like this.
  16. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

I've always made sure I had plenty of what I need (notice I didn't say enough because what is enough ammo anyway?), but I've been able to purchase guns and ammo recently for normal prices. I haven't been interested in much, but I finally bought a Ruger 57 after being on a waiting list for some time, Beretta 92G Elite LTT and a few bundles of 9mm ammo. My closest LGS has next to barren shelves, but at least they have some guns and seem to stay quite busy. The only good thing about this particular panic is it's showing many people the importance of having a firearm for self defense. Some people who never owned a gun before bought them during other panics, but it seems everyone wants something for protection due to the lack of police presence and the local governments letting criminals do whatever they want.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    nrajeff, Folsom_Prison and DAKA like this.
  17. pgg00

pgg00

I agree

APERS, Intolerant and Joshhtn like this.
  18. nerr

nerr

Good news is that this time it's new gun owners who are finally getting why 2A and taking charge of their own defense is critical that are causing a lot of the pinch. And it's putting the lie to decades of lefties telling us we don't need guns in this modern, enlightened age of 'summers of love'.

Cold comfort to you, though. Your timing on getting in to guns stinks, but keep looking, make friends with local gun store. You might have to settle initially on a less popular caliber like a revolver in 38/357 or 45acp or 40sw to get something to use. My son just got his first pistol through an LGS in KS. The guy sold him extra ammo to get him going even though 9mm is in short supply. Things become available but disappear quickly when it shows up. As mentioned in previous posts, if you see something for sale, buy it. Hesitating to find better deal will probably leave you empty handed for a while.

19. Bradley T

Bradley T

Well, no law enforcement makes vulnerable people strive to be less vulnerable. Our president gave a good speech last night. Things haven't declined as far as the looney-left would have liked. It will stabilize. The country will go back towards normal more and more in coming weeks. The whole thing encouraged me to step-up my "training" a bit.
    They're still whipping the COVID 19 horse to death, but in November it'll quietly cease-just watch and see.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    glock1097, APERS and Folsom_Prison like this.
  20. DAKA

DAKA

***** THIS is true, but unfortunately too many of these people don't bother with training, which coujld make for some dangerous situations.