The worst lemon you ever bought?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 16, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

What was the worst lemon of a handgun you ever purchased?

The worst lemon I even purchased was a like-new, unfired, in-the-box Colt Commander 1911 I bought on impulse one day. It was a nightmare. Everything that could go wrong went wrong in the first hour at the range. I had failures to feed, failures to fire, failures to eject, failures to return to battery, and even an issue with the mag falling out. Then the gun just pretty much gave up the ghost and quite cycling. I was so angry I was not sure whether I wanted to strangle someone or ball up and cry. I had just dropped all this money on something I did not need, on a spur of the moment decision, and it looked like it might be biting me in the ***.

I was not at all happy about having to send a gun to be repaired right after buying it practically brand new. I just cannot describe to you how sick to my stomach the whole experience was making me feel unless you have been there yourself.

I called my dealer and he told me to bring it back in to him. I took it back that day and much to my delight he said I should not have to deal with having an "obvious lemon" repaired and that he would just refund my money or give me store credit and deal with it himself. It was a nice offer but I said let's contact Colt and see what they say. To my surprise they did not even ask questions. The apologized for the issues, paid to have the gun shipped back, and immediately replaced it with a brand new one. They even included a free set of wood grips so I guess it could have gone a lot worse. It was still an awful experience at the time though.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. PAPACHUCK

PAPACHUCK

Standard Arms SA-9.

It literally self destructed in my hand. I banged the slide off and hundreds of little pieces of pot metal fell out.

Company went out of business.

Oh well.

3. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Worst Handgun: Hi-Point C9. Could not shoot a mag without a malfunction
    Worst Rifle: WASR-10 AK Single Stack. Multiple malfunctions. Took a lot of time to get it running 100%

4. Fifty Thousand

Fifty Thousand

I bought a LLama .380 1 day, good thing it was onyl $100. I fired about 15 rounds through it and the slide literally broke in half right at about the where the slide lock was.......

Rifle: Romanian AK 47 (.223) About every 15-20 rounds through it, it would only eject half of the cartridge. then feed another round into the front half of the last round.... Never did figure out why or what was worng. tried multiple ammos, ended up unloading at local gun show for $250

5. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

SA Mil-Spec non-GI

Sights produced a crazy, crazy low POI.

Super heavy, terrible trigger.

Finish came right off.

A few stovepipes.

Sold at a hefty loss with full disclosure. :(

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Colt King Cobra. .38 semi-wadcutters hit the target sideways at 25 yards.

7. pascal

pascal

Brand new Colt Series 70 Reissue. Went back 3 -4 times, replaced by Colt, went back 4 -5 times, finally had private gunsmith fix it. Cost over $2300 for ammo, range time and getting it repaired correctly. Lemon.
    pascal

8. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

S&W mdl 39-2.
    What a POS!!!!!!
    FTF. FTE.
    This pistol was a true P O S. I couldn't get one complete magazine full to shoot.

S&W mdl 5906.
    While I did like this pistol, it was galling itself to shreds.
    It had to go. . . .

9. brisk21

brisk21

Ruger MKIII .22 pistol. Jammed alot until I tweaked the magazines and put a few hundred rounds through it. now it runs like a little machine gun. Im actually happy with it now, but out of the box it was did not run properly so it was a lemon.

10. tomgow29

tomgow29

The worst gun I ever bought was an HK USP Tactical. I dropped close to a thousand dollars on the gun, headed for the range and immediately learned the slide would not lock back on an empty magazine. I tried everything I could think of including:

New magazine followers
    New mag springs
    New mags
    New slide stop

None of it worked. Called HK and was told to send it in (at my expense). They would call me and tell me how much it would cost to fix "When they got to it".

When I pressed them for a time frame the closest they would get was 2-3 months. I immediately took it to the LGS and traded it at a sustantial loss. The whole deal really soured me on HK products.

11. Brucev

Brucev

There are two. One was a S&W M-59 that would simply not function with any sort of reliability. It FTF and FTE. I got rid of it. The other was a Colt Trooper in .22 LR. Regardless of what brand of .22 LR ammunition I used, it would routinely FTF. The problem was not isolated to a individual charge hole in the cylinder. The problem was not due to a failure to keep the revolver clean, etc. I got rid of it.

12. mlk18

mlk18

Ruger P89DC. Ultra poor reliability and the worst accuracy of any handgun I have ever owned. There is no question mine was a lemon.

13. Girevik61

Girevik61

S&W M&P .45, Pure Junk.

Also, a 2002 Harley Wide Glide that was Pure Junk.

14. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

It's a tough call, but my first choice was a Safari Arms Enforcer 1911. Imagine a 1911 with a feed ramp so short and angled that no amount of gunsmithing would get that POS to feed anything but round nosed FMJ. That's right, even flat pointed FMJ wouldn't feed. That was my first experience that even though it looks cool, it isn't!

PS: I HAD a sig mosquito that was a pretty close second. Should have been renamed the cockroach.

15. ron8903

ron8903

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Kimber TLE II - failed to feed about 2% of the time after a trip back to Yonkers.

17. rhino673

rhino673

1994 oldsmobile achieva.

Oh , ok , we're talking about guns! Lol.

I bought a Jennings 9mm from a guy for cheap(at the time I wanted a cheap gun to throw in the truck) and I got what I paid for. It wouldn't feed any kind of ammo. Horrible piece of crap. I played with it for awhile and never could get it fixed. Even sent it back to jennings and they supposedly fixed it. Still couldn't get it to work. I finnaly got pissed and took the plasma torch to it and threw that POS away.
    Lesson learned : no more "saturday night special" guns for me.

18. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

AMT 380. It FTF, FTE and was a jamomatic. I got so pissed with the thing
    that I threw it off of a dam into 600ft of water. Good riddens!

19. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Henry Survival Rifle. It jammed a lot. Also I had a Glock 19 with a "crack"(mold mark) but it functioned 100%.

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Price wise, it was a new Colt Python.

For a few hundred dollar gun it was the SKYY.