The worst job you ever had...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Doc Holliday, Jul 12, 2020.

1. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

You all make me feel like I was a silver spoon kid.

I was 17, worked at a foam rubber factory. After that, a mechanic/slave at a small used car lot.

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Yeah, it wasn't that bad. The missile only killed an average of 4+ people per year in the 15 years it was in service.

3. JW1178

JW1178

Being a mover. I give it rank of #1 on the bad list because I litterally can't think of anything good about it.

Joshhtn likes this.
  4. ejcortes

ejcortes

Thom McAn.

Worked there while I studied. Lasted 3 years.

It was horrible, had to deal with smelly feet all the time. Boss used to laugh at me when I complained.

5. napp32

napp32

First job after marriage (1960) was with a well known Florida supermarket chain. Job title was Stockman/Management Trainee. The job was salaried...not hourly pay...no overtime. Store was open 9am-9pm six days weekly...closed Sundays. I had to be there 1 1/2 hours before opening and stay 1 1/2 hours after closing. That's fifteen hours daily; but I got 30 minutes for lunch and 30 for dinner. Worked five days weekly; but didn't get weekends off....Saturday was too important...everybody worked Saturdays. I was off on Wednesdays and Sundays. Anyhow, my starting salary for the 75 hour week was $65. Take home after all withholdings was $48 per week.

Job title notwithstanding, actual duties were whatever was required at any given time. Unloading trucks, stocking shelves, bagging and carrying out orders, cleaning up spills, and mopping and waxing floors after closing. Store was air conditioned; but that wasn't always a good thing. After unloading groceries for an hour or two in the back of a semi trailer where temps get to 120F, it got pretty uncomfortable to go back to work in 70 degree AC...or, even worse, go to stock frozen foods.

Oh, I did get two weeks vacation yearly; but I had to use that time for summer camp with the Florida National Guard. After five years, I volunteered for active duty; and spent the next thirty years getting paid to do fun things....mostly.

Doc Holliday and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Hot tar roofer. Summer of 1978. HH

7. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Oh man....

My first job was working in the kitchen at a nursing home for quite a while, I was fifteen when I started. I’d go in after school and help prep dinner, set the tables and break them down/do dishes when everybody got wheeled back to their rooms. Some of them had to have their food shoved in a blender and put in divided trays. Spaghetti night was always fun, my shirt and apron ended up looking like a crime scene.

Usually 45-50 residents on average and only about four of them ever had family come see them at any given time. Half of those people didn’t know who they were. The other half, some of them were still some what with it. Those were the ones that just wanted to talk because they got dumped in there and had nobody anymore. This was almost 20 years ago and a lot of the guys that wanted to talk were WW2 vets or served in the Korean War. I was told a lot of story’s and looking back I wish I had a notebook at the time to write them down, but being younger I didn’t care.

Two guys I’ll never forget, tall Paul a older black guy. He always walked around with a Auto trader or truck trader book with him. He was dead set on buying a new truck when he got out of the home. Obviously and unfortunately that never was or did happen. He client ever remember my name but would help me sometimes roll silverware.

The other guy was Steven, he was Polish and somehow his family snuck over here in WW2. This guy couldn’t tell you what day of the week it was but could fluently speak three different languages.

The CNA’s only made like 10 bucks a hour and really didn’t care so I spent some time with some of these people. I’d often wheel them back to their room if I had the time ect.

Many nights I’d see a body rolled down the hallway in a bag on a stretcher or just no bag. Had a girlfriend at the time but we hadn’t sealed the deal yet. My final straw was this old lady rolled into the dining room one night after dinner. She said she had to pee. I said ok I’ll go get somebody! I leave and come back, she’s out of her chair, drawers dropped, bent over and I got the whole picture. First cooter I got to see in person was that.

Doc Holliday and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  8. CombatArmsUSAF

CombatArmsUSAF

This was definitely the hardest job I've ever had. Lasted about 8 months loading trucks for UPS when I was 18 and I worked the afternoon/evening shift....cold as hell in the winter and hot as hell in the summer.

Best shape of my life though!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. Glockresistor

Glockresistor

welder in a trailer hitch shop, the owner his ***** of a wife and his suck ass foreman to this day still give me nightmares. That was 40 years ago, lasted 2 years because there were no other jobs hated every second of it. Nothing I ever did was right even if it was. I would piss on there graves if I knew were they were they were buried.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. oldmick

oldmick

Never heard that song before. I like it!

If my experience was 1/100 of what was pictured, I won't have made the first day! I've lived a very blessed life.

11. Greeks.45

Greeks.45 Glock Man

Never had a bad job...I am always glad i have something to do that Bring in money. work s not suppose to be pleasant.

12. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

I worked asbestos abatement for 20 years. Sometimes we would get residential jobs to clear out all the asbestos for demolition.

The number one rule on a demo job was NEVER under any circumstances open the fridge.

Probably the worst jobs were power plants. Hot, loud, dirty and 1000 ways to horribly die.

One job sticks out though. I had to strip a tank in a plant that made gelatin. The smell took days to wash off and to this day I cannot even think about eating Jello.

Doc Holliday and Westexas like this.
  13. wally1

wally1

I was hired to do that as a summer job also, in the early '70s.
    It wasn't exactly fun, but once I found out they payed every 2 weeks and held the first check, I was gone.
    Heck, I couldn't wait a month for a pay check!

14. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

I have a friend who is our local animal control officer. The nightmarish stories she tells me sometimes makes my stomach turn. I have helped her on a couple investigations and I don't know how she does it. I would be in prison for murder if I did her job.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Darkangel1846 and Westexas like this.
  15. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

About 25 years ago...took a job from a headhunter. Met with the management of the company a number of times. Seemed to be pretty even keel. Save an hour driving every day, little more money. All good. I hired in as a Production Manager. Asked during the interview process who was going to train me in. Current PM. Asked where he was going. Other position in the company. I shook his hand first day on the job. Day two he was fired. The guy that THOUGHT he was going to get the job trained me in. Did not go well. Owner of the company flew into town about every other week and fired somebody.

I quit after 3 months, went back to my old job. The fun didn't stop there. The company hired a lawyer and went after my current employer for the headhunter fee. Their lawyer - last name was Hittler. lol. Went to a couple of depositions. Case got dropped, my current employer had deeper pockets, and did not appreciate the inconvenience.

16. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Trimmed trees on a Christmas tree farm during one summer in high school....June, July and August....HOT.

They hauled about 10 us out to the fields early in the morning and picked us up around 4pm. We had a lunch, a pair of hand hedge clippers and a can of oil.

We trimmed hundreds and hundreds of 4' to 7' trees every day.

Worked without shirts so at the end of the day you were covered in pine sap. Every evening, back at the barn, we doused ourselves with some chemical they had to clean all the sap off.

17. oldmick

oldmick

I get that!

I can’t imagine getting up every day and knowing what I’m gonna do all day is MOVE... again!

JW1178, Joshhtn and clancy like this.
  18. Z71bill

Z71bill

Painting kitchens and bathrooms has to be close to the worst job possible.

As a homeowner I have done it - but no way I could do that as a job.

Joshhtn, syntaxerrorsix and Glock1963 like this.
  19. jcullen

jcullen

Part time armed security guard in a Internet Cafe, this was degenerate heaven

20. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I worked in a hospital business office for about a year. I ended up being nothing but a gopher. I figured it out within a couple of months but had to wait until I found another job.