The violent life of Edward Muhammad Johnson, the suspect in a Stillwater prison guard’s death

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Jul 19, 2018.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    [​IMG]

The son of two Chicago police officers, Edward Muhammad Johnson was 12 years old when he witnessed his father shoot his mother six times before turning the gun on himself.

Decades later, he is suspected of attacking and killing a corrections officer Wednesday in a Minnesota prison. At 42 years of age, he was already imprisoned in the 2002 murder of his girlfriend.

On Thursday authorities officially named Johnson as the suspect who killed corrections officer Joseph Gomm at the Stillwater state prison.

In a 2005 column in the Pioneer Press, Ruben Rosario wrote about Edward Muhammad and his 8-year old sister, Zakiyyah, witnessing the horrific execution of their mother, a granddaughter of the late Black Muslim leader Elijah Muhammad.

“The boy would later describe to a detective ‘how his mother’s head bounced with each shot,’ veteran journalist Steve Bogira wrote in a 1989 Chicago Reader article on the murder-suicide,” Rosario wrote. “The kids sought refuge at a neighbor’s home. They were later taken in and raised by an aunt in the Twin Cities.”

Zakiyyah Johnson said then she was convinced that the childhood tragedy had a profound effect on her brother.

“You would have to ask him, but how could it not have?” she said. “It is like history happening again.”

On Thursday, Zakiyyah Johnson told the Minneapolis-based Star Tribune: “I’m sorry for the loss of the corrections officer and the grief that his family is feeling. If this was not a case of self-defense, then I’m sorry. My whole family and I grieve for them.”

Fourteen years after his parents’ murder-suicide, Edward Muhammad Johnson stabbed Brooke Elizabeth Thompson to death in his Bloomington apartment, where she was staying. Thompson’s 5-year-old daughter was inside and heard the deadly Aug. 14, 2002, assault from another room.

Johnson pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and had been serving a 29-year prison term at the Minnesota Correctional Facility-Stillwater.

He has assaulted someone guarding him before.

While in custody at the Hennepin County jail following Thompson’s death, Johnson punched a detention deputy in the eye. The deputy had instructed Johnson to stay away from an area within the jail, according to court documents. The deputy suffered a cut under his left eye.

Johnson pleaded guilty to fourth-degree assault in that case and was sentenced to 13 months in prison.

Incarcerated at Stillwater since 2003, Johnson was scheduled to be released on Dec. 12, 2022.

Johnson’s disciplinary record at Stillwater is “significant,” Minnesota Corrections Commissioner Tom Roy said. Johnson spent about 1,700 days in segregation, including a 540-day stint after a “fight,” but he has not been in segregation since 2016.

“He has had numerous discipline items,” Roy said. “He has not been an exemplary inmate, but he has recently come around.”

In 2004, Johnson lost his right eye after he he was stabbed by a fellow inmate during a fight at the prison.

Johnson sued the Minnesota Department of Corrections afterward. Although a jury awarded him $500,000 following a civil trial in state court, state law allowed Johnson to collect only about $300,000, said Jordan Kushner, the attorney who represented Johnson in the case.

Shortly thereafter, Johnson had to hand over a significant portion of the funds to Thompson’s family after a settlement was reached in a wrongful death suit they’d filed against him, Kushner said.

The Minneapolis attorney recalled Johnson conducting himself “like a very rational, intelligent person” throughout his civil trial.

“I don’t think anyone would have watched him and predicted this would happen, and I don’t even know what happened,” Kushner said of the allegations facing his former client.

“I certainly feel very badly about what happened to this guard, but I wouldn’t rush to judgment without having all the information,” he said. “I believe in the principle that people are innocent until proven guilty.”

link

deputy tom likes this.
  2. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

I believe in the principle that see deadly snek kill, kill deadly snek. Two leg snek or not.

RustyL, Ramjet38, porschedog and 6 others like this.

3. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Should rename prisons too... Stillwater should be: Horrifying Maelstrom of Certain Doom, you know, warm and welcoming to the sneks.

17&27, Ramjet38, porschedog and 3 others like this.
  4. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

You had me at "Muhammad."

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

SHOCKNAWE, RustyL, Ramjet38 and 17 others like this.
  5. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Everyone is responsible for their own actions, but if you're not going to raise your kids well DON'T HAVE KIDS!

R.I.P. Joseph Gomm, and thank you for your service protecting the rule of law.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  6. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

I don't get these women who are attracted to these hyper-violent ... ... men, I suppose they could be called.

Ramjet38, FullClip and Rellik like this.
  7. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Some people need to be wood chipped...

8. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I dont know if MN has a death penalty or not but how many times does this POS get to kill?

Ramjet38 and refugeepj like this.
  9. fg17

fg17

RIP Joseph Gomm.
    I know at least a dozen people that work or are retired COs from Stillwater or Oak Park Heights, very sad.

**** that noise, and **** that POS inmate.

Ramjet38, porschedog and IndyGunFreak like this.
  10. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    Put a needle in this turds arm and lets move on!

11. 63Bravo

63Bravo

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Well, that was 13 years too late.

13. billkill

billkill

WTF??

14. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Give him a good long prison sentence. That seems to work every time. :crazy:

RustyL, Ramjet38, refugeepj and 2 others like this.
  15. Bish1309

Bish1309

The prison system is over-rated, IMHO. No life sentence and any other crime worthy of a sentence greater than 10 years should be instant termination. Same with repeat offenders. Once and out, 2nd time = termination.

Either they will learn a lesson or they are too far behind the times to reestablish themselves in this current society being incarcerated for more than a decade.

History should have taught us that generations ago. Oh, wait, I forgot. There is no more history.

What was I thinking?

Ramjet38, Dr. Bill and ZX12R like this.
  16. Detectorist

Detectorist

He deserves to die. Killed a corrections officer.

Ramjet38 and FullClip like this.
  17. hurley842002

hurley842002

Random will be along shortly to defend this guy....

Just_plinking likes this.
  18. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

We need a Penal Colony like Devil's Island...isolated...no guards...just inmates such as this guy...boat arrives monthly, drops off inmates and supplies...good luck guys, see ya next month

19. fastbolt

fastbolt

Proponents of both Nature v. Nurture will take solace in whichever theory comforts them.

The subtleties of Rationalizations, Excuses or Justifications will always endlessly swirl around such issues, passionately argued by the people who don't want to see evil as being something innate in some people. I can understand that impulse.

However, you have to get to know enough people who have been charged with, or finally convicted of, committing horrific crimes and you eventually start to wonder about the origin of the old saying about "bad blood".

Perhaps one of the tests of a society is how long it allows such violent and disruptive people to remain free within the society to prey upon innocents (or even other violent people). Obviously, confinement restricts the availability of potential future victims to other inmates and facility staff.

Ramjet38 likes this.
  20. cbetts1

cbetts1

5x8 cell, never permitted outside, even for exercise. He can do push-ups and jumping jacks in his cell. No TV, No radio, no hot meals, no cold drinks, no mattress. Make every living moment miserable but not technically torture.

The inmate should be given the option to take a pill (cyanide). The people against the death penalty are usually in favor of assisted suicide. Many inmates would take this route.

Ramjet38 likes this.