close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The value of a diamond?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by seamaster, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM.

1. seamaster

seamaster

Have any of you ever tried to resell a diamond?

I just did, and all I can say is...I won't be buying a diamond or diamonds ever!!!

TBO, twizm, treg and 7 others like this.
  2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I've bought some diamond rings from guys or gals the romance didn't work out. Beyond low price considering what they paid like 80% or more below their cost. If I were spending money on a material investment it would be firearms silver and gold.

3. SWFlglock17Guy

SWFlglock17Guy

Absolutely nothing. Its worthless rock that some big mining company convinced us all that we need.

Benchrst, Speleothem, treg and 10 others like this.
  4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Beauty and money is in the eye of the beholder. SJ 40

n2g likes this.
  5. XDRoX

XDRoX

Only ever bought one and never tried to sell any. Hope it stays this way.

But I was under the impression that diamonds went up in value over time.

nursetim likes this.
  6. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

This. Without doubt.

7. SWFlglock17Guy

SWFlglock17Guy

Thats the impression we're supposed to have.
    But you're smarter than that really, right?
    The whole ad campaign was to appeal to women that they had to have it for a proposal.
    And we as men of course have to show our women that we're so great and buy them.
    And of course the value!
    Yup, thats the impression.

8. Gregoire G

Gregoire G Silver Member

Buy them for their beauty but not as an investment.

TBO, SilentRecon, railfancwb and 5 others like this.
  9. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

The diamond industry has had some brilliant folks do their advertising.A common element that in it's pure state is needed for marriage.

10. awildmanwith1

awildmanwith1

I know exactly what they're worth about a thousand percent less then what the jewelry stores sell them for I have a good story.
    The woman I've been dating for 9 years plus now in the beginning of our relationship after meeting online she was just wrapping up a divorce as was I.
    Her now ex-husband was making a huge deal about the assets of the marriage and wanted the ring back that he paid $40,000 + for needless to say I guess she was spoiled because I don't have that kind of money. Anyway something worth in his mind because of the receipt was a big leverage tool in their divorce after many trips 2 diamond stores pawn shops excetera excetera the absolute most any store would take in on a used diamond was about $7,500 that's with the gold ring that it was mounted in as well.
    Not to say that $7,500 is not a good chunk of change but compared to the $40,000 her ex spent on it come on....
    So needless to say it was a fantastic bargaining chip in her divorce to basically get the furniture car other Home items that they would have had to have split up but her ex thought it was as good is receiving a check and getting all of his money back needless to say I think my girlfriend did a hell of a lot better in the long run by receiving a hell of a lot more than a $7,500 diamond between the car she didn't have to split up because it was a marital asset the furniture personal joint acquired belongings like a jet ski and other toys I figured she made out well North of $30,000 real market value of used things so he could get his crappy $40,000 ring back or so he thought it was worth that much. Not that I'm into screwing over my fellow man under my advice in the lawyer we made it that all assets did not change until the divorce was finalized so he never had the possession of the Ring to go get it appraised needlessly to say after the judge put the Stamp & Seal of approval after the divorce and before we walked out of the courthouse she handed the ring back to him with the big smile on her face knowing through this day hearing from mutual friends from when they were still married how badly he filled he got screwed after trying to do the same appraisals we did and realizing that he literally put all of his eggs in one basket to get back a ring that holds almost no value compared to what he originally paid for it. So of course with this story my advices if your woman wants a diamond make a smart decision and get a second hand diamond.

Duke Given, Deanster, wirenut and 2 others like this.
  11. Paul53

Paul53 to serve man.

12. 1L26

1L26

Most diamond retail prices are 100% or better in mark up for the jewelry stores. There is a lot of wiggle room in diamond buying. The problem is that it's kind of not acceptable to negotiate a purchase price.

13. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Diamonds are so rare, you can walk into any one of a hundred stores in any one of a thousand cities in America, and take your pick of literally hundreds of stones.

TBO, Resqu2, treg and 5 others like this.
  14. SWFlglock17Guy

SWFlglock17Guy

The hell its not ok to negotiate prices for the stupid things.

Deltic likes this.
  15. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

That's about the way I felt the last time I traded off a pistol.

Inyo Tim and orangejeep06 like this.
  16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

You don't buy diamonds retail. You buy them wholesale.

And if you sell them wholesale you still lose 50%

The bid ask spread is huge

Deanster and janice6 like this.
  17. awildmanwith1

awildmanwith1

I don't know why this subject interests me so much other than I hate people being screwed over so terribly bad but with the research I've done it's my understanding that De Beers to this day still holds like 90% of the diamond Market in their pocket I guess the best metaphor or analogy I could come up with would be that if the only thing you could properly propose to a woman with would be a gen 1 17 pencil Barrel that we're now seeing on GunBroker going north of $3,000 plus for. Knowing that they're out there but so so rare meanwhile if you knew the hard facts that Glock in their warehouse only releases maybe a hundred units per year when it's common inside industry knowledge that they have millions of gen 1 17 pencil barrels sitting in their warehouses so by withholding demand to the General Public as we all know what should be a $500 firearms but by not letting all units go to the market that's how they command prices so high this is what they do in the diamond industry. To me it's extortion what they get for diamond prices and what they're truly worth but hey it's amazing what we'll do for a woman because that's what they've been trained to want.

18. glock1911revolver

glock1911revolver Vice-Emperor

As someone who makes a living cutting concrete, I need to tell you this isn't quite accurate.

19. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

https://www.damninteresting.com/nugget/the-dutch-tulip-bubble-of-1637/

The Dutch Tulip Bubble of 1637

The height of the bubble was reached in the winter of 1636-37. Tulip traders were making (and losing) fortunes regularly. A good trader could earn up to 60,000 florins in a month– approximately $61,710 adjusted to current U.S. dollars. With profits like those to be had, nothing local governments could do stopped the frenzy of trading. Then one day in Haarlem a buyer failed to show up and pay for his bulb purchase. The ensuing panic spread across Holland, and within days tulip bulbs were worth only a hundredth of their former prices. The tulip bubble had burs

nursetim likes this.
  20. Guss

Guss

Most conspiracy theories are fantasy, but this one is true. Mining sources are limited enough that they cooperate to keep prices artificially high. If there were true competition, the market would be flooded and prices would plummet. If you want sparkle, you may as well get a good fake. In fact, the way they spot the fakes is that their quality is too good.

railfancwb, treg, jmohme and 2 others like this.