close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The University of Texas and Cal Berkeley join MIT and Harvard online

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Oct 15, 2012.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

2. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Hook 'Em Horns. Fabulous move by my alma mater and a great distinction to be included with the other excellent institutions.

3. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

ahh online college . the gateway to cheating for a diploma . :rofl: hell i might have chance now at Harvard :rofl:

4. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Wow Ash. I have to laugh. My wife is right now taking her mid-term exam online from a major university. Since i've seen her do a LOT of homework over the last year...I don't think she's not earning the degree at all.

I've also taken a couple dozen online courses and worked for every bit of it. I remember putting in 20 hours a week for one very specific IT security course.

Online is like anything else. You get what you put into it. It's not that hard to cheat in a university class anyway.

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

oh i know honest folks dont cheat , but i was surprised when my daughter was taking online classes and i once asked her " what keeps a genius from coming over and doing your work ? she said " nothing and i dont know any damn it " :rofl::rofl:

6. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Did you do law school at UT as well?

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

You and me both. The only way I'm ever going to Harvard is via no credit on the internet.

8. blastfact

blastfact

It will be a way for idiots to get paper they did not earn. All on paper and can't produce jack when it comes to chin hitting concrete.

I walked in this morning and one of our design worthless over educated engineering came to me begging for help. Nobody to date can make his boilers work. And asked if I would make it right. Make the system work. I told him only if he gave me 1/3 of his next 6 months of salary. He's the one with PE,,, he's the so called bad ***. And I'm the one that can make it work. His career ,,, or my bank acct. He can get fired for the **** design. Or I can make it work with 2+2=10. And bring the eff. in above book.

But he's the smart *** college boy..... I can get a job anywhere. He can't...... LMAO

9. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

:rofl:A genius isn't likely to come over every other day to do all the homework and tests!

I never had the grades to go there. But hey. I took a MIT free class and it was very well presented. I learned some stuff. Kinda fun too.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

1. Who makes more money? He'll find another job in snap if need be.

2. These a non-degree, no credit on-line offerings at least for now.

11. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I applied to Harvard in efforts to earn a MS in econ. I had really strong grades and excellent GRE and other metrics. As best I can tell I wasn't close to making the cut.

12. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Looks like Brand Dilution to me.

13. Priapus

Priapus

I love that big name schools are beginning to offer these courses online, and for free. Better yet, there are multiple sites beginning to offer these courses to the public.

I can't wait to finish my degree so I can start taking some of these classes, there are tons of classes I've wanted to take but could never fit in my schedule. It would be cool to receive credits for the work, but would also be rewarding just to take a class and do well in it for the sole purpose of just learning the material.

14. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I think it's more like try before you buy for some and experience this from afar for others of a more self-actualized nature.

This is a really good move IMO.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

You don't make any sense. What does that have to do with online courses? Did your engineer take online courses?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  16. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

A couple points here:
    1. I suspect not all online courses are created equally. I'm teaching one online course this semester, and the students have to come in for two proctored exams. If they don't learn the material, they're going to fail.
    2. These free online classes are great. They open up some higher education opportunities to people from diverse backgrounds, people who may otherwise be unable to learn the material. They aren't for formal credit (yet), but rather for people who want to learn. Awesome! (I'm hoping to take an Organic Chemistry class coming up soon.) I've got a Physics PhD and a secure teaching job. I don't need to take this class, but I want to learn more. That's what these online classes allow. Lifelong learning for some, new opportunities for others. Good stuff.

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

I'm taking a graduate online I.T. Governance class. No one I know is an 'expert' who can help me. I've learned a lot.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Will Hunting (played by Mahh Maamuhhhn) said it best:

"See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a BLEEPin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!"

Lurning - BONUS!!!!!!!

A name of someplace u lurnd frum? Not worth it.

19. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I always laugh at people who hate engineers.

Do you have a car? Guess who designed it.

Do you own a house? Guess who designed that (at least the fundamentals that keep the roof over your head from becoming the roof that hits you in the head).

A computer? Guess who designed it.

Do you own a refrigerator? TV? Microwave? Guess who designed those.

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

There is a way to make that happen....

(Not saying the poster's daughter would even think of doing that BTW).