The Umbrella Academy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bren, Feb 22, 2019.

1. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

I'd say it's a close second after The Boys.

Don't laugh but I also got into the show, Warrior Nuns lol.

Trebore and R.B. Riddick like this.
  2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yes, it's terrible when they try to have some kind of story, instead of running around shooting and fighting like a video game. That's also an often mentioned flaw in The Walking Dead. Frankly, I think it's blatant discrimination against the mentally challenged to make them try and figure out a so-called "plot."

/sarcasm

3. pntblnk

pntblnk

I just watched the first episode last night and found the story intriguing. I haven’t quite picked up on the character builds yet but will give it a few episodes to see if I settle into it.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I watched every episode of Warrior Nun - a great show compared to what else is available.

I tried The Boys and there were things about it I liked, but it was just too much negativity and evil to entertain. I watched The Watchmen series and was OK with a world where everybody is a bad guy - I really wish it had more seasons coming and it's my second favorite superhero series after UMbrella Academy - but The Boys was just too much.

I guess the idea behind The Boys is sort of "what if superheroes were exactly like sports heroes, but with superpowers?"

fastbolt likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You really have to watch a few episodes to start to get it. You haven't even met all of the major characters in episode 1 and Number Five hasn't been explained at all.

Season 2 is also great, but I missed Hazel and Cha Cha. It is set in 1963 . . . in Dallas.

6. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I watched Warrior Nuns and liked it. They didn't even try and explain how a girl that has been paralyzed from the chest down for 11 years has any kind of muscles to walk around. Even with the gizmo implanted in her she still wouldn't have had any muscles.

Trebore likes this.
  7. fastbolt

fastbolt

Warrior Nun was entertaining. Just enough adult presence to offset the youngsters and make their "we can't help it if we're immature" tolerable. Erratic screenwriting, though. Just when they're on a good streak in the plot, they have the characters do stupid things.

I tried watching Cursed, and with some effort I made it most of the way through the first season (2-3 episodes short?). It was tough, though, because it clutched and downshifted into dumb & dumber early in the first episode and made that it's stride. Never really climbed back above dumb. I was hoping the writers would strive to at least rise up to Cheesy.

I still haven't gone back to try and finish Wu Assassins. I stopped a couple episodes short of the end of the first season. I started watching it for Iko Uwais and Katheryn Winnick, both of whom have done other roles I've rather liked ... and both of them having backgrounds in martial arts also piqued my interest. (I liked learning that Ms Winnick holds a nidan and sandan in 2 different karate styles, and opened 3 commercial dojos of her own at a relatively young age.) Unfortunately, the series is just too slow moving and doesn't do the characters justice. (For the first season, at least, in my opinion.)