close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The two handed gun grip.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NVMYGlock, Feb 3, 2010.

1. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

So I am sitting here watching some of my favorite TV, Westerns of course and I see that back during the cowboy days, atleast on TV, that they never use a two handed grip as we know it today. I am just wondering when that style of grasping the gun would have become more known or taught. I am assuming that it was more likely when semi-automatic pistols came about. I have seen in old TV shows like "M Squad", "Hawaii Five-O" and the like, that the detective or policeman will do the old "wrist grab" thing whatever that does and sometimes a two handed grip with the little snubbies. Any thoughts?
    I am not talking about when it would be seen on TV, but rather when it would be used by police or military, etc. Could you imagine our SWAT teams today busting into a house with a big revolver :supergrin:. Or are there any that do :embarassed: ?

2. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

That is because young people have weak wrist. People back in the day were made of stronger stock.

[​IMG]

Most pistol training back in the day looked like this. Yep they are shooting 1911s with one hand.

Then we dropped down to 9mm and for some reason we needed two hands to control the recoil :dunno:

[​IMG]

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

4. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Absurd.

It's because no one was really thinking about delivering accurate pistolfire the same way they did rifles. They also used to use MGs like they were artillery pieces b/c they just didn't understand.

But they didn't train for John Woo pistol action back then too...

I would be interested to know when the two handed grip was incorporated into Army doctrine... it seems like at the end of the day trainees would be placing much faster and more accurate shots on target in one training group than they other and the question would be answered as such:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  5. saspic

saspic Howdy Y'all! CLM

Yup, Mr. Weaver developed the stance at some of Jeff Cooper's early Leatherslap competitions. He just passed away last year, but I think you can still get one of his autographed Weaver Stance posters.

http://weaverstance.com/index.htm

I have one, and think it's pretty cool. Col. Cooper is seated just behind Mr. Weaver as well.

6. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I think they understood the benefits of the two handed grip back in the 1800's, and lots of people probably did it - it would have been just as obvious then as now. Just because the movie industry got it all wrong means nothing, and is no reflection on reality at all. The movie industry gets it wrong with almost everything else, so why not this? And what the Army did, probably hasn't got a lot to do with what people in the civilian world were doing either.

Maybe the Army just figured their guys might need to be holding on to something with the other hand?

7. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

That's what I'm thinking as well... it's obvious. Movies never get it right (as you pointed out) and unless you're a cowboy with horse reins in one hand the two hand grip is a no brainer.

The Army still does a lot of things half ***.

8. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I just had an idea.

Swords were often one handed back in the 1500-1800s.

I wonder if the development of handguns sort of copied the one handed hold from swords.

Another idea.

The one handed hold is fine for slow bullseye shooting. At least, I find it accurate. Body is turned almost 90 degrees (different for different people) away from the target, and one arm is raised. There is nice counter balance going on (body on one side, and arm with gun on the other side). Slow and steady, aim, relax, reduce movement, slowly fire a single shot, then drop your arm and re-group before starting again.

Well, many of the early pistols were single shot. So why would you need to control recoil?

Now, compare that with a cop with a 15 round magazine. How fast can he get those rounds on target? Now he's really interested in making use of a Weaver based push-pull to reduce muzzle rise through multiple quick shots.

10. deadite

deadite Groovy.

[​IMG]

far right.

[​IMG]

deadite

11. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

Thanks for the input guys.

Deadite, when or where were your photos taken?. Look like "cast" photos :).

12. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

[​IMG]

Sometimes even movie stars get it.... sometimes.

Not to jack the thread...

13. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Not sure, googled them. :)

deadite

14. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Was a time where if you put two hands on a pistol, they called you a name I won't repeat here.

15. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Thanks for the :rofl: , whether your post is serious or just in jest.

16. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Is it just me, or did I actually see the real General G.S.Patton in an early film clip, target shooting with one hand......? My memory is not clear on that.

hog

17. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

It's in jest :faint:.....

We never did use two hands to control recoil.....we do it to shoot more accurately.

hog

18. Sierra9

Sierra9

I've always thought that the one-handed shooting stance gave a smaller profile (target) for the guy shooting back at you to aim at. Maybe that's why it was more popular in earlier times. Then the thinking changed. The Weaver stance offered up a larger profile but improved accuracy.

19. glockeglock

glockeglock

Years ago, I read the real-world-experienced gunfighter Bill Jordan's book, "No Second Place Winner." As I remember it, he advocated "Just get the gun out fast and shoot" (not actual quote). He eschewed the various stances, sight pictures and grips in favor of being the fastest to draw the gun and get lead down range and on target. The "stance" he ended up in during most of his gun fights is on the cover of his book. Very fun read, BTW.

20. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Funny, that's my assessment of the accepted stance of the past.

[​IMG]