The True cost of reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 9x45, Oct 29, 2019.

1. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

No just stating why I load 9mm ammo. Besides not just the price of factory ammo.

2. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I spent so much $ on components back before the Trump / Shillary election, and have loaded so absolute little of it, that the money is so long gone and spent I look at shooting as 100% free anymore.
    I have enough to last me eons. I never shoot anymore. Of course, after I spend $850 on supplies. But I was shooting a lot then, of course, and worried about future.

I agree with some of the comments in regards to time involved as well. Take for example .223. When I started reloading back in '15, it was expensive and we were in the drought. I could load 1k rds., using nice components (Benchmark powder, Win primers, Everglades ammo 55grs), for a twat hair under $200. This was at a time even Wolf Gold was very pricey. Now I can find a case of .223 for $300. The extraordinary amount of brass prep involved w/ rifle brass is not worth my time to save $100.

Pistol rounds continue to return an excellent savings, and are quick, easy, and relatively fun to load. I am still doing 40 S/W for well under $120 a 1k. 10MM I am hovering around $160 (needed to buy brass for this, hence extra price).

I stopped loading for .357sig however in recent (very recent) days I have been thinking of starting again, however I will be getting a Dillon Seating Die and the Dillon Sizing Die. This runs ~$150. I already have the other two for the cartridge. I was thinking of also starting over with entirely new starline brass, instead of the once fired, mixed stamp I had been using (inconsistent, giving me grief). Also would get quality, fully plated bullets from Berrys, instead of straight cast lead as I had been doing.

So this would be an expenditure of about $350 for the above. Total cost of loaded rounds would be at around $170 a thousand. The cheapest, decent case of ammo on SGAmmo is $300 or $360 being next in line. SO at minimum, after 1k rounds, the equipment expense of ~$150 would be paid for, and for every thousand rounds after that, it would be $150-210 saved vs. buying pre-made.

I personally do not factor in cost of the press, etc. as costs to work off before I consider myself saving money. To me, that is kind of like buying a Glock for $500, saying, OK this should last 5k rounds before it breaks, and then factor that in as well to how much it costs to go to the range each time. The more exotic stuff you shoot the bigger, and faster, the savings (.357sig or .357mag, 10MM, anything but service calibers). Even run of the mill can be cheap, if you're wise with components. That .40 load I mentioned above is a light load, using Titegroup powder, and cast bullets. I mean how can you beat $118/1k rounds.

Lagamor and rangerhgm like this.

3. billorights

billorights

You can stock pile a lot more. And you don't have to run to the store for ammo when you want to shoot a few hundred. Besides, what else are you going to do with your time? Drink? Chase women? Gamble? That's the cause of too many other problems. And when you sober up, or wake up the next morning, it's all over. And your money is gone. When you spend that time loading, the next day, hey, you got a bunch of ammo that will last a while.

FullClip likes this.
  4. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

As I said in an earlier post.....reloading is a hobby to me.....I stocked up back in the Obama era.....enough that I don't think I'll need to worry about any reloading supplies the rest of my life

If I shoot 500 rounds a month or 5000 rounds......it doesn't matter to me.

I look at reloading as just quiet down time....just one of those things I enjoy doing.

I do a lot of fishing and it costs me a lot of money.....rods, reels, lures, gas, boat, truck, 8-10 fishing trips to several different states each year etc, etc, etc......doesn't matter.....It's a hobby same as reloading.

Reloading is a drop in the bucket compared to what I have invested in fishing, but in the end they're both just a hobby.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    FullClip, Neldon and fx77 like this.
  5. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Exactly, Bob. And I personally don't give a hoot about cost savings... just looking for that ultimate reliable, acceptably accurate for competition, BUNNY FART load.

I have always said that I wouldn't have even made GSSF Master without my reloads. Still... I lost a pistol once by .04 seconds - amortized, I can lose 25 pistols/second at that rate. :(

6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

At 100 yards, Norma 168 gr SMK-BTHP Match will out of my rifle. I’ve shot a <1/8 mean MOA group at 300 yds with the same rifle and ammunition.

7. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Relative expense:

Primitive Gardening < guns < fishing/boats < flying things that will carry people < divorce.

Taterhead, SARDG and Neldon like this.
  8. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

:number1:

9. fredj338

fredj338

If you are going to load 357sig at full vel, then skip plated, they will not do well much above 1300fps. Bullet shape is crucial with 357sig, so bullets made for the 357sig, like MG or something with truncated cone will work.

10. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

I reload and cast bullets as well as powder coat. The bulk 9MM factory ammo is great for plinking. I can buy it here for .07 Cents per round.
    It is inexpensive and I reload the brass. However it can not pass the test of consistent quality ammo. If your pistol shooting is about paper target accuracy? Then cheap will not get it. :dunno:

IMG_1171.JPG

FullClip and Tvov like this.
  11. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Berry's has a specific sig bullet on their site, advertised for 1500fps. Even the hard cast I was using, was specific for the caliber. But I think I was pushing them too hard. fouled the barrel something fierce. 7.8gr Longshot under the 125gr cast. Safe load from all data I had seen.

12. Dog Soldier

Thanks for your post. I like Berry's Bullets for velocities of 1,000 fps or less. I did not know they made a bullet for speeds over 1,200 fps.

13. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

And thanks for yours. Why do you prefer to keep them sub 1k?

Here is the SIG bullet I was talking about, under "Loading tips" you'll see the 1500 FPS rating:
    https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp-9mm-356-124gr-hbfp-tp

Here is a regular, 124gr 9MM bullet, which is rated for 1200fps. I wonder if they make them differently?
    https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp-9mm-356-124gr-fp

14. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Just so I can learn something new every day, I occasionally ask questions like this. What or who is MG?

15. rogn

rogn real dogs

And there is the key!! When the ball chasers are whining about the weather or buying electrically heated golf balls we can park at the bench and just churn out little brass and gilding metal jewels or even long range missiles. You can even color coordinate pistol ammo if the whim strikes you. Shot shells if you have the hulls are a natural for this time of year. Im working on .410 brass shells at the moment. Then when the weather moderates. Pure alchemy, converting money into noise!
    Ill admit Im taking my winter shooting and loading to FL for the time being. Really got tired of the cold.Im heading back North tomorrow to finish out the hunting seasons. And unfortunately do the cluster of Drs appts.

But Ill be loading the whole time Im up there. Have you checked out the tab for quality 10mm auto? Or one of the WSMs?

16. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

MG = Montana Gold (bullets)

17. fredj338

fredj338

Sorry, Montana Gold.

MinervaDoe likes this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Yes its a hobby but few hobbies can actually save you money. Hate reloading, good gear is worth 80% of new. Try & get 80% back on yoyr used golf clubs.

Dog Soldier likes this.
  19. Dog Soldier

I have not tried the Berry's Hollow base bullets. That bullet has a reputation of failing at 1,200 FPS. I do use their .38 Super bullets. These are solid base and run at 1,500 fps.

20. Dog Soldier

Reloading ammunition is a vital step in understanding firearms. It is a study in heat, pressures, metallurgy, internal and external ballistics.
    There is more going on when firing a weapon than just pulling a trigger. Yes, education is not cheap, never was.:dunno:

FullClip, SARDG and marty_bill_ like this.