close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The trick is to remain calm...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eracer, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

No matter how angry you get.

Case in point:

Last weekend I found a gun at a show that I really wanted. Unfortunately, I'd already spent most of my cash and so I worked out a deal, giving the guy $200 and meeting the guy the following week at another gun show 120 miles away.

The first stress hit when I realized I'd accidentally thrown the receipt away that had his telephone number on it.

The second stress hit when I went to my (small) bank on Saturday to get the cash, and found that they weren't open on Saturdays.

The third stress hit when I realized I didn't have enough cash in the checking account that I had a debit card for.

The fourth stress hit when I realized that I did not have a debit card for the checking account that had cash in it.

So I thought, "I'll bite the bullet and go to AMSCOT. I'll have to pay them 10% to cash the check (thus adding to the cost of the gun, on top of the $60 in gas it was going to cost to go across the state to pick it up.)

OK, I'm a little stressed now, but not too bad...

So I get to the counter, write out the check, put my fingerprint on the check, and hand them my driver's license, along with the telephone numbers of two people for references (????)

She looks at the check and says, "What do you need this money for?"

I said, "What?"

"What do you need this money for - we need to know if we're going to cash it."

I was tempted to say, "A hundred pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers," but didn't think she'd get the joke, so I said, "That's none of your concern."

Then she asked (and this is the important part...) "How much do you have in the account?"

"About $1200." (Which was more than enough to cover the check.)

So she went back, copied everything, made a phone call, left me standing there for about ten minutes, came back and said: "I don't think we'll be able to cash this for you."

I said, "Wait a minute. You've got my driver's license, my fingerprint, and my check. I thought AMSCOT cashed checks?"

"Well, we do."

"OK, then please cash this one."

"Sir, do you have a bank statement with you? If you can get me a statement we can take care of this."

(Blood starting to boil a bit.)

"No, I don't have a statement, but I can go home and get one. I'll be back in about 20 minutes."

"That would be fine sir."

Twenty minutes later I hand her the bank statement. She makes a copy of that, and makes another phone call.

"I'm sorry sir, but we're unable to assist you with this transaction today."

"WHAT?!"

"Well sir, corporate has declined to cash your check. I'm sorry."

"Let me speak to the manager on duty."

He came to the bulletproof glass and having been standing nearby during the entire hour-long ordeal, said: "I'm sorry sir, but corporate make these decisions. My hands are tied."

"GIVE ME THE PHONE NUMBER!!":steamed:

(Blood is really starting to boil now. And here is where remaining clam would have helped prevent my next bit of utter stupidity.)

After telling the lady on the phone the situation, she asked me for my Social Security number.

And I blurted it out. I know better. I'm very protective of that number. There's no reason for them to need it. So why oh why did I shout it out loud in a room full of people?

Anger.

Now, to top it all off, the lady on the line at 'corporate' told me that AMSCOT policy was to require five times the amount of the check in the account.

(Now I'm really pissed off.)

"WHY DIDN'T YOUR EMPLOYEE TELL ME THIS WHEN I TOLD HER HOW MUCH MONEY WAS IN THE ACCOUNT? WHY DID SHE TELL ME TO GO HOME AND GET A BANK STATEMENT SHOWING THAT AMOUNT? WHY DID SHE TELL ME SHE WOULD CASH THE CHECK IF I COULD PROVE THAT I HAD $1200 IN THE ACCOUNT????!!!!!!":steamed::steamed:

"Well Sir, we don't give the information I just gave you to our tellers."

"WAIT, WHAT?! ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU DON'T TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES YOU USE?! WHY ARE YOU WASTING MY TIME?!":steamed::steamed::steamed:

"That's correct."

That's when I went off, screaming at the top of my lungs how I would never do business again, what a complete pile of BS this was, and blah, blah, blah.

I didn't even ask for the copies of my D/L, bank statement, and check back. I was too furious, too caught up in the anger of the moment. I just got in my car and drove, probably committing several acts of near road rage on the way out of the city.

AMSCOT can suck it, and I need to work on staying calm when dealing with faceless drones whose sole task in life is be a roadblock.

Rant over.

I drove to the show, gave the guy a check for the balance due on the gun, drove home, and had a drink.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

Somewhere in there,

there has to be humor

that only you can see

Please laugh about it!

Then, work on your anger management skills while you erase this post. I just dont see it ending in the way you desire. Remember, bite your tongue at least three times before responding!!

Oh, and, enjoy your new gun! You certainly worked hard enough for it!!

Rod

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Sell your guns now.

Don't go out in public anymore, please.

Stay home and drink A LOT more.

4. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Or a lot less, whichever the case may be. :)

5. Dexters

Dexters

I'd be mad also, if I only got 14mpg.

$60
    $3.5/gal
    17.14285714 gallons
    240 miles
    14.00 MPG

6. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

I admit it had been awhile since I've seen the "sell your guns now" line. Be a sport and also tell us the meaning of life, Kimosabe.

7. dango

dango

Anger is not a curse , and can even be used as a motivator.The more stupid crap that happens in your life , the better one is able to lets say turn the tables. I like to call that state of mind nerve dead. That's when I'm at my best , a blank page because
    I see clearer.
    Anger only complicates things so learn how to use it like a tool if you can't stop it.

8. kalashluvr

kalashluvr

Ok, I'll bite.....What is the gun you wanted so badly????

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Modern life is way too complicated for many people... ;)

10. Fastbear

Fastbear

When one drops control of their anger you would imagine somebody else is having a good laugh. Now, what happens with the photocopied identification left with Amscot?

11. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

To be fruitful and multiply.

Next...?

(I was going to say: Be a screaming, road raging, demanding, self important, stress drinker, moron with access to guns but, that doesn't seem quite right.)

12. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

You were definitely to caught up in the moment, but you seem to know that well enough. You were also way to set on making an impulse purchase. One of the most important things I've learned about making good deals is to never hesitate to walk away from a bad one. You kept trying to make this work when you should have just backed away from the table and looked for a better opportunity.

13. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

Glock 26 single stack...:whistling:

14. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Believe, me, I'm half-laughing. It was a comedy of errors, and I know most of them were mine.

Line 3 works for me.

Actually, I get 17 mpg. So I saved money.

Funny thing is, I'm one of the calmest, most rational and reasonable people around. Every so often I face some bureaucratic stupidity that sets me off. That's when I can lose the calm rationality that keeps me from violating PERSEC. And why I'm writing about needing to focus on remaining calm in the face of stupidity.

S&W Model 617-2 (6") Really good price on a really clean gun. I'd gone to the show looking for this particular gun.

Thankfully, I'm not one of those people. Idiocracy, however, is beyond my comprehension.

We'll see in month or so, when ten people open credit cards and get mortgages in my name.

The thing you missed is that it wasn't an impulse buy. It was a particular gun I wanted, at a very good price. I put a deposit down, and if I'd been smart enough to get the cash out of the account of Friday, none of this would have happened. The gas money really is immaterial. I drive a lot, and my company pays for my gas. Besides, I didn't know the seller's name, address, or phone number, having accidentally thrown away the receipt. I was not about to lose the $200 deposit. Thankfully, the seller was cool, and took a personal check.

15. NMG26

NMG26

I hate it when I don't get what I want.

I normally get what I want.

I would not have paid extra to have a check cashed.......that is where I would have given up and went on to something else.

The gun will be there next week.

16. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

No, I didn't miss anything.

This is the impulse part. By your own admission, you weren't prepared to buy, but because you saw a "good price" you were ready to incur all kinds of transaction costs that, when you add them all up, cease to make the whole thing a good deal. You got in a rush to get that gun when you should have just waited until the next show. If you see a good price on it once, it'll come around again. Better to wait for that to happen then scramble to make a bad situation work.

17. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

What is this AMSCOT you speak of?

And where the hell is gas $3.50 a gallon?

18. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Dude, he had my $200 deposit.:upeyes:

I wasn't scrambling. I was making mistakes on the way to completing a transaction I had every intention of completing when I'd left the show the week before.

So, yeah, you really are missing the point. Sorry if I'm not explaining it well enough for you to understand.

Besides missing the secondary point, you've failed to comment on the main point. But that's to be expected on an internet forum.

19. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

It's a black and blue place.

I'm sure gas is $3.50/gal somewhere. Here in Tampa it's about $3.30/gal.

20. HexHead

HexHead

I topped off my tank last weekend outside of Crossville TN for $3.139 /gal at a Shell station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.