The time you didn't draw but could have

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Glock ... Duh, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Glock ... Duh

Glock ... Duh Wait ... what was the question?

Anyone care to share an experience in which you would have been justified in drawing your gun but didn't?

2. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

Last edited: May 10, 2017

3. Cambo

Cambo

When I worked at a gun range, a careless, aggressive cretin pointed a gun in my stomach. No way I could have drawn and flicked off the safety in time. A martial arts gun disarm was an option, but I couldn't take the risk of it going off and hitting someone else. Verbal commands got it done, but it was a lose, lose, lose scenario for sure.

4. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

In a road rage incident, I had to take dramatic evasive action in my car when a driver raced up from behind (not visible till last instant) and failed to yield as required. After i laid on the horn, as much to avoid a collision and because i was surprised, he stopped, blocking my lane (no way around) at a traffic light, got out of his car, and walked back to near mine.

With a raised fist, he said you don't know who you are messing with and he was going to break me in half and some other choice words. Not a wise move anywhere but especially in AZ where you don't know who will be armed. No weapons were visible (dressed in a tucked tight fitting T shirt so I did not think he was armed.) But he was physically larger than me. I just said "you were supposed to yield" through a slightly open window then closed the window, and stayed in the locked car.

My hand prestaged near my pocket where I carried a pocket carry handgun. But I did not draw. He did not approach closer to the car door and was distracted when another motorist blew the horn at him for obstructing traffic. The light changed and he got in his car and drove away.

My learning was that i really did not want to shoot someone over a road rage incident, and to more carefully consider if I blow my horn at an idiot driver, even when I am in the right. Justified or not, getting out of the car and/or drawing my gun would have been a not wise escalation in my opinion, one that I chose not to do.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Ninjamamaseeta, First shot and pdaddy like this.
  5. Lvs1935

Lvs1935

Years ago I was driving late at night. As I approached a red light I noticed a guy walking on the shoulder of the road with a garment bag over his shoulder. As I came to a stop this guy opens the door to my truck and proceeds to get in. I had a G21 right next to me. As he got in I pointed the pistol at his midsection and was ready to open fire. I couldn't believe how fast that guy got out of my truck. Not a single word was exchanged between us. I'm guessing he nearly soiled his pants. He came real close to getting shot. My heart was really racing.

6. pdaddy

pdaddy

A few years ago, I was riding my dual-sport motorcycle around the outskirts of town, finding curvy roads and hidden trails to ride on. I came across this power line section with a trail going down it and since it appeared to be state/county owned land (I don't ride on people's private land), I decided to go down it. About 30 seconds into the trail, there was a gate that said no trespassing and realized it was someone's farmland hidden in the woods. I immediately turned around and got back on the road. As I came out, across the street there was guy in his driveway and I thought he was waving at me in a friendly way so I waved back and continued on my way.

About a minute later, I see a truck come racing up behind me trying to drive me off the road. I had to brake hard to avoid crashing and began fish tailing. If I hadn't been a skilled rider, I would have gone down. There was no where else for me to go, my dual-sport has a max speed of maybe 80mph so I was forced to stop. The same guy I saw in the driveway gets out and begins walking aggressively towards me. At this point, the only reason why I haven't drawn my glock 19 yet is because the guy is shirtless and doesn't have anything in his hands. I'm still on my bike with the engine on when he reaches me. He says "Turn it off!" and I just shake my head no. He then starts yelling at me about how he's sick of 'me' riding on his land (this was my first time riding on his land, probably is getting me confused with other riders). The entire time he's yelling at me, I have my right hand ready to draw and it's the only thing I'm thinking about. My eyes are entirely focused on his hands and watching to see if he does anything hostile. It's all a blur what he said, I was in pure defensive mode. Where things got serious though was when he said something along the lines of "killing me" and he grabbed my left arm as he said that. At that point, I put my right hand directly on the grip of my gun but did not draw it. I looked him directly in the eyes and he stepped back. I drove away once he was clear of my motorcycle. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. I've haven't ridden in that area since and don't plan to again...

If there is one positive thing that came from this, it's that it let me know if I was ready or not to take a human life in self defense. That's one of the biggest questions in the conceal carry world and thankfully, I can say I was ready and will be ready.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  7. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

You didn't say, "Could have used your gun but did not.".

I cant think of any reason to just "draw" my gun.

If I "draw" it, it will be because I need to use it.

And you will read about it in the paper.

The law calls it "brandishing".
    Folks that think brandishing is a method of armed self defense are going to walk with a crooked swagger after some big dude takes their gun and stuffs it up their exhaust.

8. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

"Brandishing" is legal in Utah. Also, if you are a member of the NRA and read their publications, you know that there are countless incidents where brandishing stopped the threat.

Caver 60 likes this.
  10. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Fortunately, not yet. I tend to move away from hinky situations. When the hairs on the back of my neck start standing up, it is time to go.

wp

Dynactus likes this.
  11. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

You are wrong, sir.

Use the link you, yourself, provided. You will find that "Brandishing" is still very much illegal in Virginia!
    You may have misled yourself when you read this statement: "However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense."

These words do not mean it is legal to brandish...it means any person that is exercising his right to self defense is not to be be charged with brandishing.

If you feel it is a good idea to address a possibly-deadly self defense situation by showing your gun or threatening someone with it, maybe you should re-think the entire concept of carrying a deadly weapon.

Bear in mind that under the law, if the other guy (or even a bystander) feels threatened at the sight of your gun YOU can be charged with brandishing.

My advice is walk-away, run, take a beating...but do not shoot anyone unless you absolutely must.
    If you must, don't hesitate, shoot straight.

Several times I have stopped what I considered threats by forcefully "telling" the person(s) to "Stay Back!" or "Do Not Approach Me!" while I maintained my position to draw and fire.

If they don't heed the warning, I doubt flashing a gun would have stopped them. It may even incite them into the "Well, shoot me, MoFo!" mode.

12. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

13. Qman2

Qman2

Slightly different deal and time but many years ago, I was returning from a quail hunting trip with my dad and his friend. I was probably 20 at the time. The truck we were driving in blew a tire and we pulled over to change it. 3 adult men changing a tire and a car pulls over with two guys in it. The passenger opens his door and swings his feet out and sits there. The driver approaches and starts asking about the truck. How old is it? How much did it cost? Now, who would pull over to help 3 grown men change the tire? My dad motioned me to the back of the truck where he's uncased and loaded one of the shotguns. He told me to stand there and grab it if needed. After some additional strange discussion, the guy got back in his car and left.

14. Ninjamamaseeta

Ninjamamaseeta "You don't get what you don't ask for."

Hi pdaddy. First, I'm glad you're ok. That could have been a bad outcome.

I'm a novice and spending all the time I can learning through other people's experiences. I'm studying my State Laws and trying to educate myself on scenarios to consider, etc.

It's my understanding in the State of Michigan, the Castle Doctrine only protects you from prosecution if you stand your ground during an incident with which you are LEGALLY allowed to be, physically. I think you said you were on someone else's private land. In this case, I'd think you were somewhere you weren't invited to be so that might be considered invading a citizen's property and potentially have been grounds for the property owner to take potentially letal action against you, should you have drawn. True, you would have been defending yourself, but you were technically committing a trespass violation, no?

Again, I'm glad you and the property owner are ok but it got me thinking. Finding nice trails to ride on can be difficult. Thanks for sharing your experience. Be safe out there. :)