close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Time To Upgrade Is Upon Us!

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by fastvfr, Aug 12, 2004.

1. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hello, everyone;

Well, I have been using computers since before there were PC's, and I have never seen a better time than right now to upgrade to a better rig.

The incredible gains in performance, both in hardware and software, have been coming down the pike at an increasingly rapid pace, and this pace is not likely to slow anytime soon! Not to mention the effort a PC has to expend just running the basic malware apps in the background...the days of the 1GHz machine are coming to an end.

I know it isn't easy, saving up over $1000 for a PC, but I build these things for a living and I am always answering questions from frustrated K6 and PII/III users. Funny thing is, the client usually answers their own queries!

For instance, a Dell (>shudder<) just three years ago would set you back $1000 to $3000, depending on specs.

I can build the rig in my sig for less than $1500. And, it is vastly superior to any OEM (besides Falcon, AlienWare, ect. - 1/3 the $$$ and ALL the performance!) for the same price as an antique Compaq or Gateway.

So I am commonly heard to quip, "If not now, when?"

Then, something similar to this usually transpires:

Client: "Can't afford it. Don't need that good of a PC, anyway."

"If you buy the MOBO now, and the memory also if you can afford it, you will be well on your way. Then, if you can afford it next month, get the FX 5950 and pick up the PSU, case, UPS and drives the month after that."

"I can do that?!"

"Sure. You could find the parts online and order them one at a time, if need be. That way you will get a much better machine since you won't be skimping on parts, or worrying about upgrading them later!"

Then, the clincher: "And when the last box arrives I will slap it all together for you. See, we need to think about Future-Proofing, these days. Ever see what kind of system resources Windows XP and Antivirus hog up just by themselves?! That'll slow you down a lot right there...but with this PC you will never notice them!"

Needless to say, I build A LOT of gaming rigs, even for non-gamers. The word is out; Monster PC's are good at sending Email, too!!!

BTW, the last BadBoy I built was for a fellow making half what I take in; he flips burgers at Wendy's and lives by himself in a decent apartment; he bicycles to work, and can't have more than a few hundred a month in disposable income, yet he has a 3.2EE and a 6800GT.

If he can do it, most anyone can.

Personally, it took me 3 shipments of under $400 each, and I was set!

Hopefully if you haven't already you too can learn firsthand the joys of being empowered by a truly powerful PC.

Best regards,

FastVFR

2. nhglocker

nhglocker

...the days of the 1GHz machine are coming to an end.

Yikes! Don't tell that to my linux box (happily chugging away for years at 1GHz.)

:cool:

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Not at all! ;)

I remember reading once, perhaps in someone's sig line, something to this effect:

"It took a combined computing power similar to that produced by a Commodore64 to put a man on the moon; so why does it take 100 times the resources to run Windows 95?!"

I was referring specifically to Winblows boxes. I see plenty of folks running Slack or RH servers, firewalls and desktops, and a 500MHz CPU is usually plenty for those purposes.

It's those intensive 3D games that'll getcha! And my post was made simply to illustrate that, though most folks who don't consider themselves power users are reluctant to spend money on more PC than they strictly need, there has never been a period in computing wherein so much power could be purchased for so little money.

That, and the fact that by paying shop fees to try to eke more life from their marginal-at-best Windows machine is throwing good money after bad.

After all, a PC with a decent mainboard, good RAM and an Athlon 64 or a 3.0 P4 proc is not going to devolve to their current PC's, frustrating level of incompetence unless it becomes physically damaged somehow.

To sum up: If you are paying to be frustrated by obsolete hardware, these days, more often than not, a new PC is the better investment compared to repairing or upgrading the old one.

Best regards,

FastVFR

4. controlled.pair

controlled.pair

Actually, I'm gonna wait for some new great technology that is coming out soon before I upgrade. First of those technologies is 64 bit programs. Although there is a 64 bit desktop chip available from AMD, it is considered too far ahead of its time, so Intel has not come out with competition for it. There is a lack of 64 bit programs. When more of those come out, hopefully so will a 64 bit Intel chip. In fact, 64 bit chips cannot read standard 32 bit programs as well as a standard 32 bit chip.
    Also, there is a new PCI technology coming out soon. It will speed up peripherals greatly, especially gfx cards. I have heard that it will be somewhat unstable at first. However, it shouldn't take long to improve on it.
    Those are the 2 main things I am waiting for. I'm also waiting for Flat plasma screens to increase refresh rates and to cost less.
    Anyways, that's what I'm waiting for before I upgrade again. Then again, I recently upgraded last year, so I'm runnin 2.6 ghz intel.

5. tgtshuter

tgtshuter Too Beaucoup

I currently have a P4 2.53GHz with 1GB of RAM, and a ATI 9800 Pro.

So far I am running all my games well (BFV, CoD, Far Cry, Doom III) and hope it'll still be fast enough to handle BF2000 and HF2.

6. Fingolfin

Fingolfin Engorged Member

Yeah i'm milking my 9700 Pro for all it's worth!

Running a P4c 3.0ghz with 1gig PC3200, and having no problems with the latest stuff. Plan to ride an ATI x800 for awhile as my next upgrade.

7. BDMurdock

BDMurdock

I just upgraded all the way in one giant leap, entirely new PC. I new my old rig simply wouldn't handle Far Cry, DOOM III or HL2.

Thermaltake V2000A Case
    MSI KT8 Mast 2 mobo
    AMD 64 FX 51
    eVGA 6800 Ultra 256 mb
    2 Gigs PC 3200 (4x512)
    2 - 74 Gig WD Raptors @ 10 K RPM in RAID-0
    1 - 80 Gig Maxtor for data storage
    Audigy 2 ZS Gamer sound card
    Logitech 5100 speakers
    Viewsonic 19" Flat CRT
    WIN. XP Pro
    And of course the normal CD-ROM, CD-RW, and 3.5 Floppy.

I'm ready now. Far Cry is a blast and I'm tryin real hard to finish it before I jump into DOOM III.

8. bigjim

bigjim

2.6 P4 800FSB
    2 GB PC3200 dual channel
    9800 XT

Plays Far Cry, GTA, Star Wars Galaxies (although I quit recently), and other resource pigs.

I don't want to upgrade until Longhorn comes out, then I'll go balls out on a 64 bit system.

9. younggenious

younggenious

It's called PCI Express. Once it gets refined and hits the mainstream market, it's gonna blow away PCI 2.1 or whatever the heck we're using now.

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I had a feeling that many fellow GT'ers would share my views.

And tgtshuter, BDMurdock and bigjim apparently do. You guys got those rigs for the price of an entry-level 400MHz HP crapola rig four years ago, you know it?! And look at what yours can do in comparison!! Just incredible, I'd say.

Controlled.pair: The real wait is going to be on 64-bit DRIVERS, though. There are Windows XP 64 betas floating around, as well as many apps for the Intel Itanium procs....but try getting your FX 5950 running properly in that environment!

BTW, the Athlon 64's, both the FX series and the older models, use a technology similar to Hyper-Threading to emulate two 32-bit procs. The main advantage to this is the much shorter 10-stage data pipes of the Athlon, coupled with the FX series having more cache as well as the MCH on-die, to eliminate as much off-die latency as is possible. Thus an Athlon 64 is extremely practical right now, even though the OS is in the pre-64 bit stage.

Check out Anandtech reviews of the Pentium 4 EE series vs. the Athlon 64 if you doubt this, and you will see that they give up nothing.

Also, the Prescott will be 64-bit capable in the near future; however, even though I run a Socket 478 2.80E currently, I will wait until the LGA 775 is obsolete before I make that switch. It's socket is just too fragile to be useful, IMHO. If I want to run 64-bit before that, it'll be a Socket 939 FX-53 Athlon for me.

And as for PCI-X graphics, it is definitely causing some hair-pulling among those who would like to run accelerated graphics from it. Apparently it cannot keep up with AGP 8X presently, though they aren't saying whether that's due to the new architecture or a lack of driver support...though some of the first MOBO's are shipping with 16X PCI slots...and an AGP slot!

That PCI jump appears to be the technology we must wait for them to sort out before we jump into.

Best regards,

FastVFR