close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The time has come

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glockwants, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Glockwants

Glockwants

The time has come to buy a Glock. I have two 45s an older Colt commander, a SA Range Officer, two 9 mms, Bereta 92F and a SA XDM a pair of 38 spls and a LCP. What I want to add is a 40 S&W to my stable. Thinking about about a Glock 22 or a 34 both Gen 4. My son has both of them and a 23 as a duty carry (he also has 45s and other 40s). The 34 Gen 4 he has shoots very well. His 22 is an older model that I shot some time back. He and his guns are in WA and I'm in AZ for the winter. I plan to take three or four hand defensive gun training classes and would like a 40 to shoot. The classes require 200 to 300 rounds to be fired. Does anyone have input on these two or maybe other Glocks to consider or is it wise to enter classes with a new gun?

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

You're asking a ton of questions at one time.

First, since you are used to 1911, Beretta and XD triggers, be aware that GLOCK triggers are very different. It will take some time being dedicated excusively to using a GLOCK to master the trigger.

Second, shooting 300 rounds of .40 out of a G22 in a day will hurt. I did that a few times in my youth, and ended up with blisters and minor soreness.

As far as going to a class with a new pistol, how new are you talking?

3. SCC

SCC just me

I would buy the 23 to ccw !!!

4. SCC

SCC just me

welcome to GT !!!

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

I do believe the G34 is in 9mm and I like it a bit better than the G17. The G35 is similar but in .40. A 9mm may be a bit less hard on your wallet as well as your hand for a few hundred round course. I would probably want to use whatever I shot best and was reliable for a course. I am sure I would still embarass myself just not quite as much.

6. Glockwants

Glockwants

Bruce, you are so right. My error I ment to say 35 but typed 34 or my mind was messed up.
    M&P15T, thanks for the input I'll have to try a 40 on the range for 300 rounds. I have a Sig SP2022 40 with a Crimson that I can shoot that has a problem with FTF and/or FTR with some ammo. I may have to down select to the brands that work. Then agin I can shoot my XDM in classes as I have done before.
    However I still want a Glock 22, 23 or 35!

7. blastfact

blastfact

Sounds like you need a 20 or 29. :)

8. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

9. kamonjj

kamonjj

I'm a big fan of the 23. I'm just not a huge fan of the standard glocks due to the fact that I'm a smaller guy and can shoot the compacts just as well for close range pistol purposes. Not to mention I can CC them rather easily as well.

10. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

I would take a G17 to the class. No doubt! I've owned many models; would go for the 9mm in general and the G17, in particular, for a class.
    Sonnytoo

11. barth

barth six barrels

If you're planning on carrying? G23
    Thinking of some competition? G35
    Home defense? G22

How exactly you plan on using the gun should dictate which model.
    That's my way of thinking.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  12. Glockwants

Glockwants

Bath - I like your way of thinking. I'll get one of each, then all applications will be cover. Glock will love me but, my wife will hate me unless I hide two and tell her the that the 35 did cost a bunch. I knew I would receive good advise from this forum.

13. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

The G23 is a great size gun for CC, HD and competition. For a defensive handgun class, I would want to bring a gun that I was going to use for CC. IMO, the G23 is easier to CC than the G22. So, I would recommend the G23. Have fun at the classes and welcome to GT. :wavey:

14. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Having taken a few such classes myself, shooting a .40 for several hundred rounds per day should not cause any undue fatigue, but you'll want to be sure your gun will reliably function throughout the week of classes. Glocks, even new ones, usually do. Which Glock you choose will be up to you to decide based on your requirements.

15. SGT Fennell

SGT Fennell SGT Fennell

16. cole

cole Millennium Member

I'd go 9mm in Glock. Then, second choice, .45acp. My G17 is a sweet shootin' gun, same with the G19, G26 and G30. Owned the G23, G27 and G21sf. Have shot the G22 and G34 as well. I'm not a fan of the .40sw and the G21sf is a big gun. If you are happy with the Beratta and XDM in 9mm a Glock 9mm may not be worth the trouble/expense. I prefer the .40sw in the Sig and HK (but, dislike .40sw generally), and .45acp in the 1911.

17. Glockwants

Glockwants

My quest for a 40 S&W has come around. My son bought me a new Glock 22 for my 73rd B/D. The gun is limited run Dark Earth Tone, as was told to him. Uknown to him I agreed to buy a never fired Sig 229 SS Elite from my daughter. He brought the Glock to me In AZ from WA. We went to Ben Avery on Sun and did some shooting. We took four of my pistols, SA RO 45 acp, the G22, XDM 9mm and a 1911-22 to the range along with 600 rnds. Great fun! I'm looking forward to shooting both of my 40s and others with my son when I return to WA in May, boy this is going to cost a bunch to find the best gun or who can't shoot. He has a batch of 1911s, Glock 45s and SA 45s as well as 40s of both mfrs. All this means is I'll like something new down the road.
    But is it not what is all about. My wife says we will need a gun safe of our own for our present 15 + firearms.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012