close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The state of things to come

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Punisher_nbi45, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

It's 6:55 p.m., NOv. 28, and I'm watching the news.

Here is what got me to posting:

CIDG raids Divisoria Mall and confiscates replica Airsoft/Electric-powered guns.

Now the CIDG wants Airsoft/Electric-powered guns to be issued with permits because, as one CIDG official put it, "they are firearms already" (can't quite remember the original words but the substance is here) and that dealers/stores wanting to sell these types of guns need to apply for an FED permit.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!:animlol:

What in the Heck is going on with this type of crap?

Airsoft/Electric-powered guns are for entertainment. Sure, they get used in violent crimes because most people don't know how to tell a toy gun from a real gun. But is it right to start registering them and treat them as such?

Really, people, throw me a friggin' bone here! Am I missing something?

Maybe I'm just overreacting here. But if you really want to stop crimes committed with Airsoft/Electric-powered guns, go after the criminals, not the "tools" they use. Besides, Airsoft/Electric-powered guns are useful in their own right:

-they help introduce the concept of firearms safety to people not familiar with them;

-Airsoft/Electric-powered gun enthusiasts help form groups that foster camaraderie and bonding by having weekend tournaments and the like;

-they help relieve stress;

-for gun owners, they help enforce the fundamentals whenever they can't go to the range.

I could go on and on, but my point here is that we already have enough legislation to help curb down crime rates, what we should do is enforce them, not blame inanimate objects for our failures to bring them down.

YMMV!

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

3. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Smells like another government money-making venture to me :sad:

I sincerely hope this plan doesn't push through. Airsoft na nga lang ang libangan ko kapag gun ban, gagawin pa nilang bawal (grrr!).

4. st. matthew

st. matthew c_w@_u_need_2_c

ngayon lang yan, pasko na kasi, pang-regalo sa mga anak ng mga many wives nila :supergrin:

5. pipo

pipo

+1 pasko na kasi eh. Election pa next year.:supergrin:

6. Punisher_nbi45

I like to think of myself as an open-minded, objective, and progressively-thinking LEO.

Maybe I'm just full of hot air.

But for the life of me, I really can't figure out the logic of these kinds of plans.

Who makes them anyway? BTW, can somebody give me an idea of how many crimes are committed with airsoft-type guns?

:rofl: :laughabove: :animlol: :upeyes:

Anyway, hindi ko talaga makita logic. And I'm trying to look at if from all sides.

Again, maybe I'm just missing something here.......:tongueout:

7. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

I'm not on their side when it comes to licensing airsoft guns ok, but you have to admit that even to some people who've been around firearms all their lives, some airsoft guns can only be distinguised by looking at the barrel diameter...what more kung gabi, tapos tinutukan ka lang diba? As for the number of crimes, walang mapapakita sa iyo bro...ang recorded lang nila yung mga NAHULI na holdapper na may toy gun...mas madami siguro yung nakakatakbo...or pinapabayaang makatakbo...hehehe :shakehead:

Maybe we should do what Japan does...airsoft is more than legal there, but they have bright orange markings in strategic areas of the gun to identify it as a toy. That'll take some realism out of it, but it won't ruin war games completely...

Last na lang sa subject ng airsoft, ang dami kong naririnig na mga nagco-convert ng steel airsoft guns to real firearms?!?! Diba urban legend lang 'to? Kung totoo nga, eh di dapat sabog na yung kamay nung shooter kasi hindi naman kaya nung metal yung pressure generated nung round?

8. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

IMHO, selling of airsoft guns and alike must be regulated, it's really dangerous when it's in the possesion of petty crimes offenders, and a danger too when it's in the hands of children or kids who don't know the capability of these "toys" in inflicting injuries. it must be sold from a reputable hobby stores or gunshops/gunstores and could only be bought by consumers with proper identifications and at the proper age. mostly petty crimes offenders don't have proper id's, i doubt if these criminals would go to these stores and show themselves just to buy these guns, otherwise they'll buy lose firearms (that's another story). for the parents who want these as gifts to their kids for future sport or hobby, they should take the responsibility of teaching and training their kids the proper way of handling these "toys". these toys probably cant kill but it can inflict permanent injuries when it's in the hands of irresponsible people... just my two cents.;)

9. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

diba sa states lahat ng airsoft guns may color red or orange sa may tip ng muzzle?

10. Punisher_nbi45

I agree with saki on regulation, but not to the point where you have to register them. I think he hit the nail on the head when he mentioned RESPONSIBILITY. In the end, we are responsible for what we do, say, commit, etc. Which is why it's up to us to be responsible when we buy these things and to teach those we give them to the right way to use them.

As for markings, well, that can work, but it's easy to paint over a barrel, so there should be a better way to differentiate real guns from airsoft guns.

Truth be told, I don't have all the answers, and I know that in certain respects, regulation is a good thing. But registering them as firearms???:animlol:

I still don't see it!

Next thing you know, they will start banning walking sticks and such.:tongueout:

11. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Hehehe, Pun, still up as well eh?

I agree that it'd be easy to paint over the markings...I realized that after I posted it...tsk, back to square one I guess.

I really think it's absurd to register them as firearms, it serves no purpose (can you imagine them trying to pin an injury due to an airsoft shot by using ballistics on the bb?!?! :supergrin: )

As for the walking sticks thing...that may not be as far off as you think. I was stopped at a checkpoint in Manila, near Taft Avenue a couple of years back and they searched my car, and they confiscated my baseball bat which was near the rear windsheild of my car. They said that since I had no other baseball gear, it could be assumed that it was for use as a weapon. (Yeah, and it was really accesible from the driver seat...riggggghhhhht.) I could have argued, but it was a 350 peso bat, and I didn't want to spend any more time with them, so I just told them to keep it.

My dad's walking stick (it has an iron knob on the end which piqued their interest) was also being called a weapon, again by Manila Police. Good thing my dad knew his rights, and they got rattled when they saw that he wasn't easily intimidated.

12. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

I saw the news clip too. The head of the raiding team mentioned that the airsofts should be registered with the FED as "firearms" :supergrin:

The CIDG was to transport and turn over EVERYTHING to FED.:upeyes: Yeah right :supergrin:

13. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

as i have mentioned on the other thread, it's really difficult to accept and sad to say that there LEO's, mostly those who dont know the law, see this situations as an opportunity to extort or take things for their own interests. it's good that kaiser's father knows the law and have the guts to challenge these scalawags.

i dont agree either that airsoft guns and alike has to be registered, but at least there should have ordinance restricting kids, as well as adults, to play these toys outside the street. we can see kids in the streets playing war games without proper gear, they can injure their playmates as well as other people. it should only be played with proper gear and at the right venue.

14. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Tama si Saki. Regulation is the key. Let's put some actual rules to this grey area. Something like no one under 18 may purchase airsoft equipment. Here's a couple more ideas:

- Anyone caught using airsoft guns in a threatening manner and /or brandishing them in public will charged with grave threats and illegal possession.

- Any harm done by an airsoft gun outside the airsoft playing field shall be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

Anyway, registering these "toys" doesn't make sense. May ballistics ba ang barrel and .6 BB? Bakit 'yun ang knee jerk reaction nila?

"Uy, maraming nahihilig diyan! I-pa REGISTER natin sila! Hehehe...."

Kung ganun ang logic nila eh 'di mag issue narin sila ng license para sa lahat ng beer drinkers sa buong bansa! 'Diba marami ring krimen at accidedenteng nangyayari under the influence!? I don't get it...

15. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

agree.

ako at si quick are avid airsofters ourselves. (the force-on-force games present a different kind of thrill and excitement that can not be duplicated in real steel. the targets actually think, change positions and shoot back! that does not happen in ipsc or idpa.)

but like in real steel, we know maraming masamang implication ang irresponsible use of airsoft.

i'm completely for regulation in the ways stated above by sir saki, especially on the level of selling and acquisition.

but like sir punisher, i also can not believe they would classify airsoft as real firearms. that is plain stupid and unrealistic.

ks, no way in hell can airsoft guns be converted into real firearms. you may have heard embellished stories. ang tutoong nagyayari, may mag real steel enthusiasts that use airsoft accessories and parts on real guns: detachable rear sights, red dots, vertical foregrips, even ris/ras kits. and a lot of airsoft players also use real steel accesories like grips, scopes etc.

16. Dok

Dok Rimfire Fan

well i think that CIDG personel should read on what is the meaning of "firearm". Airsoft has been there for several years na and bigla na lang nila na-isip na mag raid. well nice timing talaga sa December....pera na naman ito! Dadalhin sa FED to be destroyed? i don't think so... baka ipapa-tubos nila yan sa mga may-ari ng na-raid...well one way of getting money this christmas!

17. wingz

wingz speed not power

I agree to all of you guys, but there's something fishy/ironic about this issue...see, the PNP/goverment has this unfinalized issue about the amnesty program this coming december(?), and yet they're trying to tie a rope around the necks of those selling toy guns or replicas, lookalike guns? Is'nt it paranoia of the worst kind?:upeyes:

18. quick

quick what, me worry?

there has been a big bruhaha in the airsoft community regarding the issue of "legalizing" the game. this issue has eben very divisive, polarizing most of the airsoft enthusiasts into two distinct groups: those for legalization and those against.

just lately, the pro-legalization camp was successful in their legalization campaign when they succeeded in getting the PNP to issue "iplementing rules and regulations" on certain existing firearms laws.

the "success" was however, double-edged, because it seems that the new IRR has created monsters of its own, that the pro-legalization camp have disowned, i.e. the PNP inserted certain provisions like having to secure permits BEFORE one can even play, or that the gamesites themselves would have to have the proper permits.

at any rate, the very very very many, and exhausting discussions on this topic can be found here: http://www.filairsoft.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=7

with all that being said, i totally agree with punisher. is this really the state of things to come?

as an avid airsofter, i would have preferred things the way they were in the old days. when a bunch of grown men would dress up like soldiers, act like little kids running around all day shooting each other, slap each other on the back for having great fun and then enjoy some cold beer.

now it is getting too complicated and not a little risky to bring out our toy guns to the gamesite, due to all the attention airsoft has been getting. :sad:

oops, i'm starting to rant, sorry... rant off...

19. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Glad to hear that from an actual authority on the matter sir Heavy! The person who was telling me about this is actually a saleslady of that airsoft shop in Cartimar, next to the tattoo shop. She was feeding me this BS story of how I could buy that all steel 1911 and use the frame and slide. Sana walang na-uto yung gagang yun!

20. isuzu

isuzu

I agree with Mr_Big's observations. Airsofts have begun to be too realistic that it is very difficult to identify an airsoft from the real thing. Also, airsoft enthusiasts wear, IMO, better gear than the regular AFP personnel.

What I don't agree, though, is registering them as firearms. In the first place, do airsoft have serial numbers?

What I would like to see is that the airsoft's power be regulated to a certain degree. Airsofts have become so powerful, that I've seen pellets penetrating an airsoft enthusiast's skin. Imagine what it can do to the naked eye.

A few years ago, Army Rangers nearly pounced on a group playing airsoft in a place just outside of Bacolod. It's a good thing that the Rangers didn't immediately attack. What if it was a squad or a platoon of CAFGU that chanced upon them? Apparently, residents of that area reported the presence of an "armed group" to the Army. Muntik na.

Another incident was that two groups of fully battle-dressed airsoft enthusiasts boarded a pumpboat and headed for an island near Negros and played there. The two groups landed on different locations in the island and looked for each other. This scared the occupants of the island. Buti lang hindi natsambahan ng Coast Guard that patrol the seas off Negros Island in search of rebels moving from island to island.

We also need GOOD and SENSIBLE lawyers to be in the PNP to review regulations and how they would relate them with the law.