close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The sniper, Malvo, apologizes to one of his victims.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by armorplated, Mar 5, 2010.

1. armorplated

armorplated

http://www.wjla.com/news/aploa...ml?js=ktul&id=712850

A Louisiana man shot by Lee Boyd Malvo before the criminal spree that terrorized the Washington, D.C., area in 2002 has received a letter of apology from the convicted sniper. John C. Gaeta, 58, of Albany, said Thursday that he's glad Malvo wrote him but remains skeptical about Malvo's intentions.

"I'm glad he wrote the letter," Gaeta said. "I do wonder, though, if he's truly sorry or if this is a part of him trying to get his sentence reduced. He knows that he should express remorse, so I question whether it is genuine and from the heart."

Gaeta was shot in the neck Aug. 1, 2002, outside a mall near Baton Rouge, La. He has said that two black men approached him as he tried to change a tire. When he leaned down to pull out his spare, he noticed a shadow near the front of the truck.

Last month, Malvo confessed to Louisiana detectives that he shot Gaeta, but said he thought the man had died. The shooting was part of a spree by Malvo and John Allen Muhammad that left 10 people dead.

Muhammad was executed in Virginia in November for killing a man at a gas station. Malvo was sentenced to life in prison for one of the killings.

The short, brief letter Gaeta received was dated Feb. 21. Malvo wrote: "I am truly sorry for the pain I caused you and your loved ones. I was relieved to hear that you suffered no paralyzing injuries and that you are alive." Malvo then printed and signed his name.

Gaeta said he never got a good look at his assailants' faces.

"I said, 'What are you doing?' He lifted up the gun and shot me. Once I saw the weapon, my concentration was on that. And on dying. I thought, 'Is this how it's going to end?' I dropped to the ground and played dead. I didn't wiggle around and I didn't fight, because I thought if I did he might shoot me again," Gaeta recalled.

Gaeta said his faith has helped him get through the ordeal.

"Absolutely," he said. "Otherwise, I'd still be angry and bitter. You have to go on living and it has been almost eight years."

2. armorplated

armorplated

I'd sell that letter on ebay. That's all it's worth.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight

I tend to doubt the guy is really sorry: he's a psychopath.

But, I believe he was sentenced to life without parole, so sending the letter isn't going to reduce his prison time, if I remember his sentence correctly.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I'm not even trying to give a damn and would rather just forget either of them existed.

5. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

First thing I thought.

6. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

"A mall near Baton Rouge"?

Where was this? Frickin' Gonzo outlet mall?

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

We can't forget they existed. They remind us of the reason I am Constitutionally allowed to carry my .308 around with me.

It's not just some guy with a pistol that might jump out to get me, but some crazies with a .223 from 100 yards away.

I've got to get lucky on that first shot that misses vitals, and then duck and somehow get a bead on their location. And then bolt 5 rounds of 168gr match ammo through their car hiding location, slicing through their skulls in the process.

Fantasy? No, those crazies are real.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Not "them" as an it happened thing, just their names and any other identifying information about these two.

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Return to sender via US Postal Service, stamped: Recipient doesn't give a damn.

10. GroovyChristian

GroovyChristian

Every man is redeemable. We may never know Malvo's true intentions with this letter, but God does. I am glad that the victim was not killed or paralyzed.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

HYPOTHETICALLY,

I'd reply were I the recipient of the letter, with my own letter soaked in arsenic, if I knew he'd be the 1st person to touch it.

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Go talk with Charles Manson for a few hours and see if you still have that theory.

13. walt cowan

walt cowan

good idea!:wavey:

14. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    [​IMG]

15. GroovyChristian

GroovyChristian

Not everyone chooses to be redeemed.

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'd tell Malvo, "If you are really sorry, then kill yourself and save the taxpayers the cost of keeping you locked up".