Glock 17 The Sig 239 is more controllable than the G17 i'm shocked

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by silvertip9mm, Oct 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. silvertip9mm

silvertip9mm

I shot my SIG for the first time today man its accurate and easy to shoot. What a sweet gun!

BTW i tested my G18 mags today and they worked perfect I shot about 200rds thru them 3 different types of ammo too.

Good range day!!!!

2. Haycreek

Haycreek

This may be a case of "new gun", when the new wears off of your new purchase, and you compare them again, you will likely realize that the G 17 is more controlable. :cool:

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Could be either way.
    My two 239s are really nice though.
    Enjoy.

4. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Hard to understand how a higher bore axis and terrible first trigger pull could make the Sig "more controlable". ;)

How'd that long mag look sticking out of that Sig? Hardehardeharharhar!

5. LSP972

LSP972

<<...hard to understand...>>

I was wondering the same thing.

6. Old&Slow

Old&Slow

I had a SIG 229, excellent and reliable gun but the first DA pull was God Awful.

I sold it and bought another G 19.

7. silvertip9mm

silvertip9mm

yes the double action first shot is heavy but firing in the single action i feel the SIC is more controllable.

BTW I couldn't refuse the gun its like new in box with the extended mag. I got it for $230

8. Thorazine

Thorazine

I'm holding a G17 and a P239 in each hand (and typing at the same time) and I don't see this "high bore axis" you speak of. Perhaps I better break out with a micrometer.

9. fatdog

fatdog

There are a lot of people out there with shorter fingers, smaller hands, etc. that can shoot a smaller thinner profile grip like the P239, a Kahr, or even the single stack Beretta 92 a whole lot better than they can (or ever will) shoot a Glock.

For those people with a smaller hand/grip radius, the P239 grip size could certainly make it more controllable than the G17.

10. silvertip9mm

silvertip9mm

I have hands built for a 2nd gen G21 a Desert Eagle fits my hand well.

11. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I agree!

IMHO there is no comparison. Totally different gun. A full sized 9mm with one of the greatest grips around, nice long barrel, light weight slim frame and slide. Super accurate, simple, and terribly reliable! Oh yea, and no decocker.

For a better comparison I shoot a G26 and feel that IT is a superior handgun to the Sig 239 due to the capacity and follow-up shot capability.

I was shooting a co-workers 239 recently and I was having a hard time getting accurate follow-up shots due to it's tiny grips. Since then he has put rubber grips on the Sig and he says it feels better, I've yet to shoot it again.

But, to each his own and if you like your Sig, congrats!

12. matt7184

matt7184 Millennium Member

I like the impulse of the recoil better from heavier and metal frame guns...maybe that is what he means?

13. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

And I think a SIG 228 is more controlable than ANY Glock.
    There,I said it.

14. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

probably had something to do with the lighter slide and the heavier frame of the 239 ;)

15. pangris

pangris Moderator

My wife carried a 239 that has been gone through by Teddy Jacobson. It is easy and fun to shoot. Easier than a G17??? I don't know about that... but SHE shoots is better than a Glock, so I'm happy.

Paul

16. brownie

brownie QuickKill Instr

"The Sig 239 is more controllable than the G17 i'm shocked"

At best it is a subjective statement based on perceptions and ones familiarity with different firearms.

The sigs are known to have high bore axis' which usually translates into more muzzle climb than other weapons of the same caliber whose bore axis is lower [ more in line ] with the shooters hand.

I have shot the sig 228 extremely well over the years, having no problem with the bores axis causing undue muzzle flip, but then it is a 9mm we are talking about to begin with.

I owned a 239 40s+w for a short time, the bore axis did bother me some and I sold it, though I really like the gun "feel". I didn't keep it.

I still own and carry my g-17 on a regular basis today, still own the 228 as well. Both have served me well in the past and will continue to do so in the future, I suspect.

The 239 probably felt like less recoil impulse for the reason Clem Eastwood gave above. Perception becomes reality to most. Not surprising some will think one way and others another between the two weapons listed.

If one believes it shoots sweeter, has less recoil impulse than another, he will have more confidence in the weapon and that can directly translate to better hits on target.

Robin Brown

17. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

one day, for ****s and giggles, i took a bunch of .40 to the range along with my sig p229 .40 and my cousins G23. bore axis be damned because back to back the sig had a lot less flip then the g23 w/ the exact same ammo. i can hold about the same patterns with either one, so as far as accuracy goes they are both good. but muzzle flip drives me insane. then i changed over the 229 to the .357 barrel and found that the p229 in .357 still had less muzzle flip then my cousins g23. there's my experience.

18. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

One set of shoes will not fit all.
    Like feet, hands come in many sizes and shapes.
    Probably explains why so many types and brands of guns continue to find homes.

19. cole

cole Millennium Member

I would be shocked too if I ever came to the this conclusion. As I've yet to do so, however, future "shock potential" remains for me on this one. :) Glad you like your P239.

20. middy

middy

I find my 239 to be more controllable than my G19. Less muzzle-flip, believe it or not. I think the whole "bore-axis" thing is overrated.

The grip fits my smallish hands a lot better than any Glock, which may be the reason.