• I’m confused

Votes: 3 8.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
These are Great Times for Gun Owners!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is interesting. From the article:

“That is the key component. The barrel is neither rifled nor smooth so the only option left is straight lands and grooves. Yes, Franklin Armory is bringing back black powder technology. This means the projectile does not spin.

How accurate is it? You can easily hit what you are aiming at out to 50 yards. Then out to 100 yards you are getting 4-5″ groups. Could an AR pistol or SBR beat that? Of course. But this was made for two distinct reasons.

1. CQB distances
  2. Loophole against NFA”

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/23/shot-2018-secret-franklin-armorys-reformation/

I’ll be very curious the impact this ammo they’re also working on might have.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Let's go inside the ATF...

Some Rando ATF Pencil Pusher: "Sir I've found a loophole in the NFA! If someone were to remove the rifling from the their barrels and just do lands and grooves, then the weapon wouldn't technically be a shotgun or a rifle! They could do whatever they WANT! We have to close the loophole right away!"

Some Rando ATF Pencil Pusher's Supervisor: "BAH, no one would be dumb enough to want to do that to their weapons, much less try to sell them. No one's that big of a rube are they? It'd be like going back to the earliest black powder days as far as accuracy goes. They'd have a hard time hitting the broad side of their barn. Those yahoos surely aren't that thick."

Narrator: "Or ARE They??"

Queue the music:

I'm not saying I was present for this conversation or anything, just one of the possible ways it COULD have gone.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
4-5" groups at 100 yards with no spin? I find that hard to believe.

ETA: Ah yes, but with special ammo maybe. That's even worse than before. Who's going to pay through the nose for a gun that takes special (expensive) ammo, just to avoid a $200 tax stamp?

·
Liberal Bane
20,358 Posts
I thought it was designed as an expensive joke gift to bring to an NFL Funeral Pyre Party. :dunno: :crazy: :timeforthat:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I thought it was designed as an expensive joke gift to bring to an NFL Funeral Pyre Party. :dunno: :crazy: :timeforthat:
Yeah, no doubt. And HEY, we can bring one of these ridiculous leftist monstrosities from Kalifornistan to party!

My goodness gracious, what in tarnation is that chunk of plastic trying to imitate some kind of grip? Bless it's little heart. Yet another, in the ever growing list of why I will NEVER live in that jacked up, soon-to-be walled off (a la Escape from New York), Marxist state.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
If I want an SBR, I will just legally get an SBR. This loophole is poorly designed and idiotic.

·
Premium Member
42,437 Posts
Well this is interesting. From the article:

“That is the key component. The barrel is neither rifled nor smooth so the only option left is straight lands and grooves. Yes, Franklin Armory is bringing back black powder technology. This means the projectile does not spin.

How accurate is it? You can easily hit what you are aiming at out to 50 yards. Then out to 100 yards you are getting 4-5″ groups. Could an AR pistol or SBR beat that? Of course. But this was made for two distinct reasons.

1. CQB distances
  2. Loophole against NFA”

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/23/shot-2018-secret-franklin-armorys-reformation/

I’ll be very curious the impact this ammo they’re also working on might have.
Rather incorrect information. I have a few muzzle loaders, they all have rifling.

A MUSKET is the term you are trying to campare this to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.